Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Hornady Lock n lLoad classic kit with sonic cleaner

I am looking at getting into reloading. right now cabela's has a deal on the Hornady lock n load classic kit with a sonic cleaner for $269. is this a deal too good to pass up? i really didn't want a sonic cleaner, i would rather have a tumbler. but for $269 and 500 free bullets it almost seems like a no brainer.

Here is the Deal
    Last edited by messeduprex; December 14th, 2016 at 02:21 PM.

Default Re: Hornady Lock n lLoad classic kit with sonic cleaner

What do you plan on loading with it? How many rounds a month?

(Delaware County)

not many, at first only rifle rounds .223, .308, and 35 rem. a month maybe 500 -1000.

It will work for what you want it too, though 500-1000 a month could get old on a single stage. It will be a good starter kit and it is handy to have a single stage around even if you upgrade to a progressive at a later date. I'd recommend a good beam scale like the Dillon Eliminator. A set of check weights is also good to have to help make sure the scale stays accurate over time. Also don't use the One Shot lube that comes with it for rifle rounds. One Shot is a big cause of stuck cases with rifle rounds for the guys that use it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    It will work for what you want it too, though 500-1000 a month could get old on a single stage. It will be a good starter kit and it is handy to have a single stage around even if you upgrade to a progressive at a later date. I'd recommend a good beam scale like the Dillon Eliminator. A set of check weights is also good to have to help make sure the scale stays accurate over time.
    as far as i can tell it does come with a scale, just not one with check weights. i would like to get an electronic powder drop soon and that would upgrade the scale a bit.

I mentioned the beam scales because I don't trust a lot of the electronic scales, even the cheap ones. The Hornady lock-n-load auto charge powder measure comes on sale pretty often for $160-$180. I have one myself. My Hornady likes to throw overcharges and often needs to be fiddled with to try and cut down on over charges, but it still works. The scale on it IMO is only good for +- .2gr max and you can get shifting if you don't let it warm up enough. The RCBS version workss better, but more money. You just can't beat a quality beam scale for some stuff.

(Armstrong County)

imo, start with pistol rounds, to get the hang of it

and just get a progressive.... I did the whole "start with a single stage to learn and then get a progressive" and I regret it.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    imo, start with pistol rounds, to get the hang of it

and just get a progressive.... I did the whole "start with a single stage to learn and then get a progressive" and I regret it.
    Yep, I started with a progressive even though everyone said start with a single stage. Glad I did. I started out loading one round at a time to get the hang of the different stages. By the end of the day I was full progressive. So glad I didn't listen.
    Last edited by Bowgod02; December 14th, 2016 at 08:45 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    It will work for what you want it too, though 500-1000 a month could get old on a single stage. It will be a good starter kit and it is handy to have a single stage around even if you upgrade to a progressive at a later date. I'd recommend a good beam scale like the Dillon Eliminator. A set of check weights is also good to have to help make sure the scale stays accurate over time. Also don't use the One Shot lube that comes with it for rifle rounds. One Shot is a big cause of stuck cases with rifle rounds for the guys that use it.
    Careful, those check weights could change over time: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=112003322
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Streaker!!!!! You linked an article from National Public Radio on the forum? Are you OK?
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast