Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking to go Sig

Hi Guys,
    Haven't been on in a while but i need some help.

Looking to purchase either a Sig P229 or P239. The reason being I want a 357 SIG caliber. What better brand than the originator.

I am a striker gun guy: Glocks, XD's, but not really sure a poly gun will stand up to the harsh abuse of such a powerful caliber.

Not sure which Sig. Not really sure about DA/SA but that's what they are. For now it will be just for target, IDPA perhaps and HD gun, but I am hoping that Jersey will be a carry state in the future.

Any suggestions of which one? and why?
    There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
    -- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997

(Berks County)

Default Re: Looking to go Sig

Go for it. All the Sigs are great. 357sig is expensive and not every place has it in stock. Save some cash and go police trade.
    Cdnn sports has them a lot. Sorry you live in Jersy.

(Luzerne County)

I own two Sig P220's in .45acp.....love em!!

(Allegheny County)

If you're a striker fired guy, why not just go for the P320? They come in .357 Sig... I have little doubt that most polymer frame guns can take the abuse of .357 Sig, but even if you're worried like you say, the P320's modular frame concept means you can get a replacement frame shipped right to your door, no FFL required. It also allows you to get caliber and size conversion kits shipped right to your door. All of this is an even greater advantage for NJ residents, since you don't have to spend $2 on another permit, $20 for another background check or $50 for fingerprinting, or wait months for said permits to come back. One gun can handle it all, both different calibers and different gun sizes.

(Chester County)

I say Sig P320. I have one in 9mm and love it.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Columbia County)

The 239 is not much smaller than the 229. Neither is the 225-A that just came out although I'm not sure Sig makes it in 357 sSg. Both of them are only about two ounces lighter than the 229. I suggest a 229 Legion. I never owned a 320 so I can't help there. I still have a Glock 32 (357 sig) that I converted to .40 SW. The reason was not concerns about durability but the .357 causes a notable flip up recoil in a light polymer frame gun. Therefore I would suspect a metal frame gun would help neutralize this effect with that caliber. In NJ at least you still get to keep the 15 round magazines ( for now).

(Lancaster County)

The P229 is a fantastic firearm, but you have the DA/SA to deal with. I have no problem with it. The P320 is decent with multiple options of grips and sizes, and it is a striker. The 239 is an older model and in some forums it is questioned how much longer it is going to be around. P229 or P320 is your best options, from this SIG person. If you can wait and come to the Eastern Outdoor Show in a couple of months in Harrisburg, the SIG booth will have them all there for you to massage.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ah141nj View Post

Looking to purchase either a Sig P229 or P239. The reason being I want a 357 SIG caliber. What better brand than the originator.

I am a striker gun guy: Glocks, XD's, but not really sure a poly gun will stand up to the harsh abuse of such a powerful caliber.

Not sure which Sig. Not really sure about DA/SA but that's what they are. For now it will be just for target, IDPA perhaps and HD gun, but I am hoping that Jersey will be a carry state in the future.

Any suggestions of which one? and why?
    First of all, if you are looking for Target and IDPA, you can opt for the Single Action Only variants of the 229 - 229s are smaller than 226s. Go full size if you ask me. Single Action Only will give you that consistent trigger pull that you as a striker gun guy probably like.

Ploy guns (glocks and sig 320s) will hold up to the pressures of a .357 Sig - which is NOT really a "powerful" caliber. Glock 20s and 21s shoot the 10mm and .45ACP +P ammo without any jams or issues and they have plenty of ass to them.

If you are looking for a SIG, in the .357 Sig Caliber and in the Striker Fired Platform, then the Sig 320 is the best option for you. If not opt for the 9mm SAO variant of the 229.

I dont think they make any SAO variant in the .357 SIG caliber. The DA/SA will take some getting used to, but it is not the end of the world. I carried a Mk 25 till i switched over to the 320.

(Delaware County)

I would think the P320 would be a good option for you. While I have no concerns about durability shooting the .357Sig, with a 9mm kit you can use the cheaper ammo and still have the same trigger feel and handling.

(Chester County)

I'd avoid the 239 especially in 357. Its a defense platform only and not really meant for extended range or comp usage. Since the 229 was built specifically for the 40, it is a more natural option. If you have a hard time finding what you want, all you need to do is ask your LGS. Most stores wont stock the caliber since it is not a big seller but all of them should have outlets to order them in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast