Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default PAFOA Logo 9mm AR15 Carbine Build

I never got around to posting a dedicated thread to this 9mm carbine that so many of you helped me build.

This started out like so many other builds across this great land - "I have this lower sitting here - what should I do with it???"

I had this extra PAFOA laser engraved lower from the original group buy (2007ish?) and was sort of hanging on to it not wanting to ruin it's "NIB" status, but at the same time, I didn't really have the money to go buying another lower when I already had one that I could use. Screw it - is it really going to become a collector's piece or something? Not likely - I'm going to build something with it!

What to DO with it though? I got it in my head that a 9mm may be fun so I started this thread to pick the brains of the forum and see where it would take me.

Rather than blabbering on any further, I'll just post up the pics of the (mostly) finished carbine now and I'll blabber on about it in more detail as we go!

I thought the 2016 season's first snow would make for a more interesting back drop than plain ole' gravel...

9mm build

Standard AR lower (Anvil Arms PAFOA limited run)
    PSA 9mm mag block insert (for Colt pattern SMG mags)
    Stag LPK
    Anderson Sport slick side upper ($35)
    CMMG 14.5" barrel 4150 chrome lined bore and chamber with a A2 permanently attached for a total length of 16.1
    12" ALG Defense EMR V1 handguard
    Anderson 7075-T6 buffer tube/spring
    Spikes buffer spacer
    Rock River Arms 9mm bolt
    Rock River Arms heavy buffer
    Magpul sights (awaiting a red dot)
    Mission First Tactical Minimalist stock - grey
    Hogue grip - spray painted until I get matching MFT grip
    Red paracord stock strap & front sling attachment point via EM
    Sheriff of Baghdad B-Sling - limited edition "Yeti" Kryptek pattern
    Odin Works XMR 2 extended mag release - anodized red
    Strike Industries ARCH-EL (extra large) Charging Handle - anodized red
    Rainier Arms Modified Trigger Guard
    PSA/Metalform 32 rd SMG mag
    (I think that covers everything)

I can maybe dig up the invoices for parts if I have time and add that info as well at a later date.

Last edited by Emptymag; December 2nd, 2016 at 12:41 AM. Reason: specs info
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Default Re: PAFOA Logo 9mm AR15 Carbine Build

Thanks bud. More motivation for the 9mm build

(Allegheny County)

January 24, 2016 was the date I made the commitment to building a 9mm and ordered a 9mm mag block from PSA. (for Colt-style 9mm mags)
    Couldn't beat the $29.99 price!

I had gone back and forth on whether to get a dedicated 9mm lower or use a mag block. I also struggled to choose between one that uses Glock mags (I own a G19 and several 33 rd mags) or Colt SMG mags.
    In the end it came down to the money - I had a lower in my hands already, so instead of getting a dedicated/Glock lower, I would use this one and get an insert for the mag well.

I researched a little and it seems there are only a few brands of mag blocks available. Considering the Hahn block is $100+, I was a bit skeptical of a thirty dollar unit, but that fit my budget, so...

I passed on it once because I just didn't have the money - then they sold out.
    I signed up to be notified when it came back in stock, but honestly didn't expect to see it again at the same price. A few months went by and I forgot all about it until I got the back in stock email - same "sale" price.
    Note that PSA no longer offers this mag block!

I'll go look for the pics of the mag block insert and post them up next.

May as well take another walk back through this build. I don't want to forget anything in case I decide to build a 9mm pistol too. LOL

(Allegheny County)

Oh yeah, another reason I decided to go with the Colt mag seup vs Glock mag is the way the Glock mags have to be at an angle.
    Petty perhaps, but that just doesn't fly for me - it looks goofy - like taking a Thompson SMG and making it work with Glock mags - it would look like ass with a Glock mag sticking out the bottom at an angle.

I just preferred the more traditional look of a vertical stick mag.

(Allegheny County)

There are two types of mag blocks - those that insert from the top and those that insert from the bottom.
    This one inserts from the top. It's explained very briefly in this video. (at 1:40 mark)

Oh, and another reason I went with a standard AR lower and a mag block is because it's "reversible". If I ever wanted to change it, I remove the mag block and it's back to a standard AR15 lower.

Here are some pics of my PSA 9mm Magazine Insert.

Tried to get a few shots of the inside as well to show the "bevel" and "curve" where the mag gets inserted...

(Allegheny County)

After MUCH back and forth trying to decide what barrel I would use, what type of front sight, and especially which hand guard the ALG Defense V1 is what I decided on.

I'll just copy/paste below what I had previously posted in the "help me" thread...
    (The text below was originally posted on June 26, 2016)

Teaser pics.

The handguard arrived from Primary Arms in record time.
    arjohnson was cool enough to take a small box of stuff and assemble the barrel and handguard onto the upper for me.

I'm very pleased with it. The looks, the quality, the color/finish, the length vs barrel length, the weight - everything.
    Not bad at all for $106. (15% off sale)

ALG Defense EMR V1 12" length in grey (ALG link)
    Barrel is 14.5" with welded on flash hider bringing it to legal length.
    Upper is an Anderson Manufacturing Lightweight Sport with no forward assist or dust cover. ($35 sale from AIM)
    (I still need to order rail segment to mount front sight)

Thought I'd show the front to give an idea of the diameter - these handguards are pretty "skinny" - I have small, girl-hands and I can wrap my thumb and middle finger around and touch.
    They are even more comfortable than I had imagined. This handguard was a VERY good choice.

There's a QD mounting hole on either side.

I slapped it onto one of my other lowers to get a better feel for how it will handle and what it will look like when finished.
    (a) Holy SHIT is this thing light.
    (b) I think I'm going to hold off on finishing it until I have a few things I want rather than having to replace them later.
    (for example: instead of putting a crappy leftover stock/grip on it, I'll wait until I get my grey Minimalist stock and MFT grip)

I'm getting pretty excited to see this thing completed.
    I wanted to just slap together the least expensive parts I could find just to get it done, but in the end I'm going to have it done the way I want it and for a reasonable price.
    I have been good about selecting decent parts and getting them for good prices.
    I've saved enough on some of the larger parts to "splurge" a little on some of the smaller items that will give it a personalized look.

You'll just have to wait though to find out what I have in mind...

(Allegheny County)

And I'll just toss this in here because I never bookmarked it and now I'll know where to find it when I need it again.
    JDA58 always saves the day when I mention that I can't remember what video had the good tips in it.

Step by step lower assembly without using any specialized tools!

(Allegheny County)

Another flashback! July 9, 2016 First test firing!

(below text/pics copy/paste from other thread)

Well, I don't know if I ever figured out the "best" way to build one, but I did learn a good deal from everyone along the way, so thank you for your interest, advice, and opinions.

It's not complete until I get my chosen furniture, but it's complete enough that I was able to take it to the range to shoot today!

I took 5 brands (all FMJ) of ammo to try and 4 brand new PSA (Metalform) Colt pattern 32 rd mags.
    I loaded 10 rds of each for starters and it ran all of them without a hitch! Then I just started loading whatever was closest.
    I just wanted to be sure it functioned, so I didn't shoot it a lot - maybe 200 rds.

Oh yeah! If you don't have a Lula loader for loading mags you're an idiot! My dumb ass has been putting off buying one for years - maybe decades.
    OMG! I can't believe how EASY it is to load a mag with this gadget!!!

Anyway...

PEW! PEW! PEW!!!

9mm AR15? Fuckin' A!!!

(Washington County)

I didn't know I needed one of these til.. well now. Lol! Makes me wanna try building a 9mm. Seems that you love it. Congrats! Looks amazing.

loving the idea of a 9mm ar...may need to make one at some point

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast