Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Polymer Plinker 22LR AR15

My humble, budget 22AR15. It's nothing to write home about, but it's been more reliable than I would have expected.

It started life as a Chiappa complete 22LR upper with two Chiappa mags.
    I played the "swap uppers" game for a year or so and didn't really like that it wasn't a rifle - it was an "accessory".
    I wanted a rifle.

In addition to not wanting to swap uppers to use it, I hated how utterly FILTHY my 5.56 lower became inside after shooting it with the 22 upper.
    Yeah, I needed to create a dedicated 22AR15.

Enter the New Frontier polymer lower.
    I picked it up (used) a few years back when lowers weren't exactly cheap or readily available for sale. I think it already had the LPK installed.
    While a buffer and buffer spring are not needed for a 22LR, I installed them just the same. I wanted the lower to be ready to use if I needed to slap a 5.56 upper on it at some point.

I don't even see the uppers listed on the Chiappa website now - only the complete rifle.
    I'll mention a few things about it anyway.

The front sight/bayo lug is aluminum and held on with a set screw up through the bottom of the bayo lug. (not true lug)

The flash hider is "fake". Made of aluminum and the slots are just "grooves". Held on with set screw.

The shell deflector is hollow - LOL
    As far as I know almost all the normal working AR internal parts are interchangeable - obviously the bolt is a 22 bolt.
    Furniture all mounts the same way. Oh, the forward assist is fake. You can push it in - it's spring loaded - it just doesn't DO anything.

The New Frontier polymer lower? Meh, I don't think I'm going to get any more poly lowers - especially since true milspec lowers are so cheap and plentiful.
    I really only have three issues with it.

1. The safety selector doesn't "click" into the two positions. It's possible the detent is either missing/missing the spring, or it's not able to move freely within the hole. Truthfully, I can't recall if I tore it apart to look. It doesn't affect function and since it's just a plinker, I'm not concerned.

2. I had to use a file and gradually take off some material on the top rear where the castle nut is. Once the upper was pinned on, the charging handle could not be pulled back - it was hitting the poly lower there. Once I filed it down a bit, the charging handle clears it and all is fine. I never tried a 5.56 upper on it to see if the problem could be replicated. In the end it works fine - I just got turned off by needing to use a file to get it to work.

3. The take down pins/holes are really tight. I always needed to pick them out and tap them with something to get out/in.
    Now that it's a complete rifle - not an issue.

Anyway, it all works and it was hundreds less than buying a quality name brand upper or a M&P 15-22.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Polymer Plinker 22LR AR15

Cool. PM me if that sight stops working. I don't think .22 will break it but I do know how to fix them for good.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Schuylkill County)

I was tempted to buy one of these uppers a few years ago when they were on sale for $139. I didn't own a .22 rifle at the time and really wanted one. Then I looked at a Dunham's ad and saw the Marlin 795 Combo was on sale for $140. The Marlin seemed like the more sensible choice. I don't regret my decision but a .22LR AR would still be cool to have.

How is the accuracy?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    I was tempted to buy one of these uppers a few years ago when they were on sale for $139. I didn't own a .22 rifle at the time and really wanted one. Then I looked at a Dunham's ad and saw the Marlin 795 Combo was on sale for $140. The Marlin seemed like the more sensible choice. I don't regret my decision but a .22LR AR would still be cool to have.

How is the accuracy?
    Can't go wrong with a Marlin. Solid choice.
    I know these Chiappas get mixed reviews and I may not have gotten it if I had more money to put towards a more proven dedicated 22 upper, but I took a chance and it works just fine.
    I do mag dumps all the time with it and typically have no issues aside from the random failure that I attribute to 22LR ammo as can happen with almost any 22 rifle.

I had looked at those cheap Mossberg wannabe "22AR15s" and handed it back immediately. No thanks. I have a Mossberg Plinkster (the original kind - looks exactly like the Marlin 795) and you can use the Mossberg high cap "AR" mags in it - but they suck. The mag doesn't feed reliably at all. (the standard 10 rounders work fine)

If I were to do it all over again I'd probably look hard at the S&W M&P 15-22 due to their proven record.
    That said, I don't like that you need to use S&W mags - this Chiappa uses the "standard" Ciener type mags that are pretty standard for most 22AR15s prior to the advent of the M&P 15-22.

Accuracy? I honestly don't shoot much beyond 30 yards most of the time so I can't really say.
    All the holes appear in the general area I ask them to appear on a bad guy target.

(Allegheny County)

He cracks me up. The last couple times I took pics of guns on the deck I had him come over and "sit" so I could get a photo of him with the gun.
    This time he sat and "posed" before I could even ask him to do it. LOL
    Last edited by Emptymag; November 30th, 2016 at 04:06 PM.

(Centre County)

A pit bull and a .22 - nice combo!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
    A pit bull and a .22 - nice combo!

I think so.

(Allegheny County)

I rarely use the supplied Chiappa mags. Instead I prefer the Black Dog Machine mags because they look more realistic than the ones with the open slot in the side and built-in loading button. These load so easily there's no need to push the spring down while you add rounds.

These are the now discontinued (although still available many places) "X-Form" mags which are available in 25 rd, 15 rd, and 10 rd. (15 and 10 share the same body)
    The 25 rounders look a tad too long if comparing them visually to a USGI mag.
    The 15 rounders look very close to a 20 rd USGI mag.
    The 50 round drum is just freakin' FUN!

A good source for them by the way is found here. Good prices and $5 flat rate shipping.
    BDM mags can be had in black or smoke and either with standard nylon feed lips, or stainless steel feed lips.

Mag comparison shots...

The drum looks sort of goofy viewed from the side.
    These work great by the way.

EM, nice post. Have you ever done a thread on your 9mm build? I want to build one next

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MovingtoAmerica View Post
    EM, nice post. Have you ever done a thread on your 9mm build? I want to build one next
    Thanks.
    No I never got around to it.

I had a ton of info in the thread I started where I was asking for tips on building one, but never posted a dedicated thread for that gun.
    I was waiting until I had it finished. It's pretty close to finished now (minus the red dot and the grip I want) and I have enough pics of it, so maybe I'll get it posted up. I think I noted all the specs in the AR15 picture thread so it shouldn't be hard to get a thread whipped up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast