Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Am I ignorant about this range rule or has range become too Jerseyfied ?

I noticed a few years ago that the influence of Philly, NJ and NY is slowly working its way through eastern PA. Look on a map of the still-open State Game Lands ranges, and notice how many are still open within easy driving range of the Delaware river.

Huge population in the area, but the ranges have been shut down. My guess is that it's not a coincidence, it's because of large numbers of new shooters who were NOT raised as hunters, were NOT raised with Dad or Grandpa teaching them gun safety. Too many of them show up with an AR or AK or Glock and just blaze away like pyrotechnic gods, blowing apart support posts and trees and indoor walls and ceilings, often with stolen guns and zero knowledge of the laws or common sense.

Just a guess. But look at the map. One range each in Berks, Chester Dauphin and Lehigh Counties. None in Philly, Delaware, Bucks, Montco, or Northampton.

http://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/State...s/default.aspx

https://www.google.com/#q=pa+state+g...i:1,lf_pqs:EAE
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Am I ignorant about this range rule or has range become too Jerseyfied ?

I'm a director at a small private club... membership is maxed at 250 + 50 more senior (non-paying) members. Our range rules are comparable to most, although we don't have any ROs, as we police ourselves. Members are encouraged to respectfully bring any safety violations noticed to the offender and to report it to a club officer if the situation persists.

I see guys on here whining about strict rules all the time. I've also witnessed "experienced" shooters do boneheaded things on the firing line that put others at risk. What these knuckleheads don't realize is that many clubs would likely be shut down if (God forbid) there was ever an accidental death due to negligence. Our club has 5M in liability insurance, which only goes so far.

I was in there once and the heavy attitude from the staff is no matter your years and experience in handling guns YOU KNOW NOTHING compared to them.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

I have never fired on a PGC range, even when available. I have no experience there. I can only surmise the problems the game commission dealt with by multiplying the work needed to maintain a gun club comprised of people who do not deliberately aim at target frames, but still manage to damage them.

The times are against the ranges. Houses being built farther and farther out into the country whose occupants object to the noise or fear being struck by bullets.

Then the environmental whackos attacked the lead like Kalyvornja zealots and judges ruled in their favor.

Lead fishing sinkers will one day soon be illegal. Lead-core bullets will become solid copper or related amalgam. Perhaps when non-lead bullets become the norm, it will serve to ruin one argument against PGC ranges.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Then the environmental whackos attacked the lead like Kalyvornja zealots and judges ruled in their favor.

Lead fishing sinkers will one day soon be illegal. Lead-core bullets will become solid copper or related amalgam. Perhaps when non-lead bullets become the norm, it will serve to ruin one argument against PGC ranges.
    I've heard there are companies who will reclaim lead from gun ranges... probably do it at no cost, because they turn a profit off of the lead collected. Same as municipalities generating revenue off of collected recyclables.

Gotta wonder how much lead is on the grounds of trap/skeet/clays ranges. Don't know how it would be possible to reclaim it all.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Monroe County)

They have a location in Jersey as well, probably why they feel too much like Jersey. You're better off taking a look at memberships to other ranges, but the only other local indoor range in the area got shut down because the owner decided to go to NYC with ARs. As far as buying guns and ammo there are two stores on either side of heritage with better prices and service. If I wanted Cabela's pricing and service, I would just go to Cabela's.

(Pike County)

I'm not going to defend the overzealous RSO, but back when I was wearing that yellow patch, I preferred to stay away from inside and outside home protection classes for the instructors. Because almost every time we ended up with bullet holes in wrong places (and I'm talking tables, not the wrong targets). And those were the people, who already had those respective classes as shooters, plus BIT and were instructors in at least couple of basic disciplines.
    Je suis déplorable

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    The last time; before today; I went there. I had a range officer begin to give me a talking to about laying down, on the bench, a Pietta 1873 SAA "without it's cylinder open".
    I probably would have packed up and left, as soon as some fucker started talking to me.

Heritage guild Always sucked even when I lived in NJ. The indoor ranges I belonged to when I lived in south Jersey didn't have RSO's during the week and maybe one on the weekend. They were pretty relaxed environments.

In my opinion your seeing the results of the huge investments made when opening a range, even bigger insurance premiums, and the influx of new inexperienced shooters from all over who just bought their favorite gun from call of duty.

If you want to shoot at public ranges especially in boutique style indoor ones you should get used to it. Personally I can't deal with crowds or having to wait my turn in order to waste ammunition on a piece of paper at 15 or 20 yards in a 4' wide stall so I bought a few acres in a gun friendly zone.
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 19th, 2017 at 01:36 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast