Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Open carry on state gamelands

Hi, some friends and i are planing on doing some hiking on state game lands this weekend and was wondering if i can open carry for protection? I don't have an LTCF and the gamelands border our property. I know i can bring my gun all locked up with ammo separated from my home to the cabin so i should be ok there.
    "fom my cold dead hands"

(York County)

Default Re: Open carry on state gamelands

First things first: IANAL.

LTCF is immaterial in this case, I think. You need a hunting and/or game lands range permit in any case.

The game lands range permit covers you on the ranges, the hunting permit covers all else (and includes the ranges)

However, even with a range permit that doesn't mean some overzealous warden wouldn't give you shit about not having a hunting permit if you're not on the range. And I expect you'll get trouble if you have no permit at all, no matter where you are.

The commonwealth wants their $$$ you know.

It also depends on your weapon: If you have a semi-auto rifle on non-range game lands, you could face some shit regardless of your permit. (Hopefully to change soon, but still illegal to hunt with semi-auto rifle).
    DGAF

(Monroe County)

One of the hikers coming with me has a LTCF, can he carry concealed on state game lands? or does the above still apply? There are alot of black bears in this gamelands just want someway to protect ourselves.
    "fom my cold dead hands"

(Lancaster County)

Be advised non-hunters are required to wear blaze orange this time of year. Personal opinion: hunters paid for that land in order to enjoy it for hunting. If you are not hunting, why not hike somewhere else where you don't risk ruining someone's hunt?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    Be advised non-hunters are required to wear blaze orange this time of year. Personal opinion: hunters paid for that land in order to enjoy it for hunting. If you are not hunting, why not hike somewhere else where you don't risk ruining someone's hunt?
    Minor correction, the orange requirement only comes into play during rifle deer season. all other times, it is highly recommended and encouraged. I also encourage you to hike on Sunday or elsewhere as to not disturb the hunt. I had a "Hiker" trespassing on private property with out orange disrupt my hunt two weeks ago. If I wanted you hiking my property I wouldn't have spent money and time in putting up those big yellow signs.....

(Adams County)

Saturday is the first day of BEAR season so ORANGE IS REQUIRED.

(Jefferson County)

Open carrying on foot doesn't require a license. However, merely walking around on state game lands will look like hunting, stalking, etc - which then the possession of the firearm will reinforce evidence against you if a WCO sees you.

It is one thing to "patrol" your property, or hike on other public/private lands - but Game Lands will institute a mindset of hunting/poaching by 3rd parties(WCO, LEO's, etc).

Personally I don't think it would be wise to do. You would be legal, but you would face a serious uphill battle in front of a magistrate if caught.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Open carrying on foot doesn't require a license. However, merely walking around on state game lands will look like hunting, stalking, etc - which then the possession of the firearm will reinforce evidence against you if a WCO sees you.

It is one thing to "patrol" your property, or hike on other public/private lands - but Game Lands will institute a mindset of hunting/poaching by 3rd parties(WCO, LEO's, etc).

Personally I don't think it would be wise to do. You would be legal, but you would face a serious uphill battle in front of a magistrate if caught.
    ^^^ this^^^

Legal, yes
    Wise, no

With or without a LTCF, you're going to look like you're hunting this time of year. Your best bet is to go find a state park or similar, that has hiking areas that aren't used for hunting imho.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by inspecterbake View Post
    Saturday is the first day of BEAR season so ORANGE IS REQUIRED.
    My Apologies, the last time I hunted the game lands the requirement was later in the season, you are correct:

(21) Except on Sundays, be present on State game lands from November 15 through December 15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material on the head, chest and back combined or, in lieu thereof, a hat of the same colored material. The material shall be worn so it is visible in a 360° arc. Persons using shooting ranges are exempted from this requirement.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05...5/s135.41.html

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    First things first: IANAL.

LTCF is immaterial in this case, I think. You need a hunting and/or game lands range permit in any case.

The game lands range permit covers you on the ranges, the hunting permit covers all else (and includes the ranges)

However, even with a range permit that doesn't mean some overzealous warden wouldn't give you shit about not having a hunting permit if you're not on the range. And I expect you'll get trouble if you have no permit at all, no matter where you are.

The commonwealth wants their $$$ you know.

It also depends on your weapon: If you have a semi-auto rifle on non-range game lands, you could face some shit regardless of your permit. (Hopefully to change soon, but still illegal to hunt with semi-auto rifle).
    A range permit or hunting license isn't required to hike on sgl property. It's the same as any other state owned property and preemption applies. I see more of a problem with the fact it is currently hunting season and an assumption could be made that you are stocking game, not hiking. With bear season coming in, there are going to be lots of hunters and wco's in the woods. That could cause a slew of issues with a hiking trip. I regularly hike and fish on sgl property in the summer time locally here and have never had a problem with open carrying while doing so. I've never even had a wco bat an eye my way. Once fall hits, I find other areas for that kind of stuff and only use the sgl's for actually hunting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast