Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Nasty neighbor....Need some advice

The house on the side across the street from me has finally sold and we have new neighbors.

Its no secret here on the forum that I have a dog, German Shepherd, Rocky. I play with Rocky in MY FENCED IN YARD.

Over the last few days i've noticed that the new neighbors have two beagles which bark (howl) when ever Rocky is in the yard. Rocky is NEVER outside by himself, either myself or my son is with him.

So tonight Rocky wanted to go out, it was about 11pm. I take him into the yard and we're playing frisbee. Well the beagle eruption starts and seems to be even more aggravating because its late and pretty quiet out. I kept the play brief as I didn't want to disturb my neighbors. I knew Rockys presence was the cause of the non stop barking. The barking has been going on ever since the new neighbors moved in. Rocky has NEVER once barked outside my house.

So we come in and about 11:30ish, Rocky is barking frantically because someone is on the front porch and the sensor light has come on. I holster my 38 which was sitting on the table next to me and go to the door, look through the glass and see its a woman. I figured something was terribly wrong being it was kind of late. I opened the door and the woman introduces herself as the "new neighbor". I step outside on to the porch to talk to beagle woman.

Beagle woman says to me "do you think you can stop letting your dog out so late because it disturbs my dogs and the neighbors are complaining". After picking my jaw up off the porch, I said "NO". I also said "well if the neighbors are complaining to you about YOUR dogs, maybe you should think about controlling your dogs, rather than blaming other dogs for your dogs behavior". She got very loud and said "i'm calling the LEO's". With that my next door neighbor comes out of her house and walks right over. My next door neighbors house is about 10 feet from mine. It used to be the servants quarters to my house thats why its so close. My next door neighbor says "is everything okay". So beagle woman says, "her dog is giving my dogs a problem". My next door neighbor was shocked. She says "they've been living here over a year, and I can count on one hand how many times i've heard that dog bark". "That dog plays with my year old granddaughter, he's a better babysitter than I am". "He's not a problem". I proceed to tell my neighbor what beagle woman said. So, my next door neighbor says "since you've moved here, all I hear are your dogs". Beagle woman is now LIVID.

She starts to walk away in a great big huff, turns back and says "don't think I give a shit about your gun either". I was O/Cing.

I don't think this is over. I'm afraid she'll try to retaliate by trying to hurt Rocky somehow. Rocky is never out of my sight, but, I worry about her putting something in my yard that could hurt or possibly kill him.

Am I being paranoid? Should I take a walk up to the LEO's and put in a complaint?
    Last edited by Michele; August 31st, 2008 at 01:25 AM. Reason: typo...oops

Default Re: Nasty neighbor....Need some advice

I can't stand when new neighbors move in and screw up the system! Take this with a grain of salt, but i'm always a fan of calling the police before the other person if they mention they are going to call. May also be good to just get it on record now that they are confronational, and also a sign from you that your not gonna take her treating you like that. It may not be the most neighborly thing to do, and not exactly equal to bringing them a pie on their first day in their new house, but she sorta threw that out the window already from what it sounds like.

Good luck

I'm going to take a walk up there (LEOS) tomorrow, with my dog. Who knows, maybe they've already got a few complaints from the other neighbors about her dogs.

(Montgomery County)

Though this comical beaglewoman is being typical idiot, I do think it's a little paranoid to assume she will hurt your dog. As you mentioned, you are always within range of your pet, and thus, if she did anything, you are always within range of your gun.

I highly DON'T recommend that you contact the police concerning your dog's safety unless she threatens to actually do something. Though, I DO recommend you file a complaint against her dogs for being loud.

You clearly have the reputation necessary from your neighbors.

The fact that she even mentioned your OC firearm simply proves that she does give a shit about it, because, if she didn't give a shit about it, she wouldn't have said shit about it.
    Last edited by StealthBeast; August 31st, 2008 at 01:33 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I'm going to take a walk up there (LEOS) tomorrow, with my dog. Who knows, maybe they've already got a few complaints from the other neighbors about her dogs.
    Personally, I think that's the smartest thing to do. That way, if something does happen, there will already be a paper trail.

Proud member of:

The new neighbor is obviously irrational, if she insists that your dog stay inside so that her dogs will behave.

Never underestimate what irrational people will do if they're mad at you. People who, in their minds, have nothing but rights, will exercise those imaginary rights against you if you're in their way. The common attack against dogs is poison, either by tossing poisoned meat over the fence, or by leaving puddles of anti-freeze within reach.

I'd cover the yard with some very obvious cameras.

You might also consider filing a harassment charge against the loony, for knocking on your door very late at night and making unreasonable demands. She sounds like the sort of loon who would melt down in front of a District Justice.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The new neighbor is obviously irrational, if she insists that your dog stay inside so that her dogs will behave.

Never underestimate what irrational people will do if they're mad at you. People who, in their minds, have nothing but rights, will exercise those imaginary rights against you if you're in their way. The common attack against dogs is poison, either by tossing poisoned meat over the fence, or by leaving puddles of anti-freeze within reach.

I'd cover the yard with some very obvious cameras.

You might also consider filing a harassment charge against the loony, for knocking on your door very late at night and making unreasonable demands. She sounds like the sort of loon who would melt down in front of a District Justice.
    I was just about to edit my post to say that setting up cameras wouldn't be a bad idea.

Proud member of:

Humm.... cameras. I never even thought I would have to resort to that.

I'm going to speak to my other 5 neighbors that have visible dogs. I'm curious to see if they've received the same "neighborly confrontation".

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I wouldn't assume that she won't try to hurt your dog, or lie to the police to get you in trouble. It never ceases to amaze me how irrational people get over trivial stuff, and the lengths they take it.

It may not be a bad idea to alert the police first in case she tries to lie down the road. This is just my opinion, we have always been blessed with good neighbors so i've never dealt with this.

I never dealt with this shit either. She's apparently missing a major brain cell.

I just let the dog out again, this time her dogs were quiet. Perhaps they were in the house.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast