Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default bought a used 11-87

Well I've been wanting a shotgun so I can go shoot clays with the guys from work and decided on a 'special purpose mag' 30" 11-87. I know its far from the best gun for clays but I'm just getting into it and wanna see how a semi works for me before I plunk down big bucks for a high end gun. The price seemed very reasonable at 435 so I hope it works well for me this afternoon at CSLC on Route 87.
    Opinions, thoughts, and comments are very welcomed.

please excuse my crappy pic taking skills:

(Delaware County)

Default Re: bought a used 11-87

They are great guns to use especially for combined purposes -clays, practice, small game, and turkey. Keep the gun as is and buy a few flats or value packs of ammo. The only "option" that you might want to invest in is chokes. But before buying chokes take the gun out with your favorite or least expensive shells to find what shoots/cycles reliably and see how the barrel and chokes pattern.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Luzerne County)

I have a Beretta Field Grade 390. I bought it for 500.00 from Wal Mart a few years back. A good buddy of mine runs a Remmy 1100. As long as you have interchangeable chokes, you will be fine. I can break in the 20's out of 25 and I only shot 3-4 times per year. This is done with Wal mart value pack ammo as well. I run a modified 95% of the time and a full for cut throat.

Use one gun and stay with it. The shooter plays a big part. Its nice to see the guys with the big dollar guns and keeping pace with them without breaking a sweat with an off the rack shotty

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like you got it at a decent price. My only comment is that it was only a good deal IF THE GUN FITS YOU. If a shotgun doesn't fit the shooter you'll just be shooting holes in the sky.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

Well I tried skeet for the first time today. I was nervous since the other guys there all knew each other and I was by my lonesome but they were very friendly and helpful. I only got 9 the first round and like 6 or 7 the 2nd. I kept rushing myself and couldn't focus I think I was just too nervous.

Right now I'm not sure if the gun fits me, maybe that should tell me right there that it doesn't but theres a couple sporting clay shoots in September I'm gonna hit and see if I can work the gun better.

(Allegheny County)

When you shoulder the gun and look down the rib do you see any of the rib or do you just see the bead (or beads, if you have a center bead)? If you're seeing the rib or the beads do not line up as one you've got a gun that doesn't fit (Most Brownings do NOT fit me). Remember, unlike rifle/pistol shooting, LOOK AT THE TARGET, not the "sights". Try to mount the gun the same way each time and align your feet so that you're in your natural stance WHERE YOU WILL BE FIRING AT THE TARGET.

If you can find an experienced skeeter to help you, the best thing you can do is to hit the skeet field one-on-one with your helper and don't leave each station until you have broken each type of target thrown (ie. high house, low house & double if applicable). When you break a target, immediately shoot at another of the same type to reinforce in your mind what the "lead" looks like. Good Luck!
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

The only part of the rib I can see is where it angles up from the receiver. It has a long fiber optic front sight and upon closer inspection it looks like it had a center bead but its been cut off.

A co-worker let me shoot his Browning Gold (not sure what sub-model) for a 50 shot course a few weeks ago and it seemed to fit well and I performed fairly well with it also, but since I was with a group of friends/co-workers and not strangers I wasn't as nervous so I'm not sure how much that factors into it.

Theres a sporting clays event at Southern Clinton County Sportsmen in Loganton on September 14th that I'll be attending so I'll give this gun another chance and go from there. Thank you very much for your input!