Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default First Time Hunter, advice?

I've always had an interest in hunting but really never got around to it. This year I finally purchased my first handgun and rifle. My rifle is a mosin nagant, so thats 7.62x54r. I was told I could go hunting with this rifle, I just needed to find "soft tip" ammunition? Not exactly sure what this means or where in the hell I could ever find it. I'd be interested in hunting deer because I love the taste of deer meat and I would have it processed. I wouldn't go hunting birds or any small game because I wouldn't eat it, unless it's legal to just go killing a bunch of them for fun which I don't think it is. Mind you the biggest thing I've ever killed was a snake I found in my garage the other day, and a damned big raccoon than ran infront of my car, stopped, stood on two feet, and just waited for death.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: First Time Hunter, advice?

- First thing you need to do is figure out where you are going to go. Hunting places in the Pocono's are becoming a rare find, especially to go rifle hunting on. Rifle season in PA is basically a million people walking into the woods wearing blaze orange and carrying guns.

- If you haven't taken a hunter safety course yet you should, its "required" to get a license in PA, If you haven't hunted before and are planning on going on your own its a must!

- Hunting in late November / early December is cold, make sure you have clothing that will work for you! Don't forget you need to wear an orange vest and orange hat.

Its a little rough starting, especially on your own and during rifle season but its a great time. I can't wait for Oct 4! :P

- Most military calibers are primarily sold in FMJ (full metal jacket). FMJ's are garbage as they are specifically designed NOT to expand when hitting someone. For hunting deer (any anything else) you want expansion, hence the soft lead bullets, these will expand and cause a lot more destruction n the way through the target

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/67746-5.html

post up any specific questions you have and we'll do our best to answer them
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Chester County)

You must use an all lead bullet, or one designed to expand on impact, as per the law to lawfully hunt deer in PA. There are many companies producing legal hunting rounds in 7.62X54R. Go to Ammunitiontogo.com, and click on the 7.62X54R link. I have found that the Silver Bear ammunition which has I think a 203 grain soft point bullet groups well in my Mosin M38. A Mosin is plenty capable of killing any large game in Pa. You may be able to find hunting rounds for your gun in a local gun shop, but usually that is a tough sell, unless said shop caters to at least some degree in military firearms. Most shops near me all cater to deer hunting and such weaponry and the mention of 7.62X54 usually gets the old "oh thats gonna give me indigestion ordnering that caliber" from the clerk. You're better off buying it online anyway.
    Last edited by Poonie; August 31st, 2008 at 07:51 PM.

(Columbia County)

Here's some good advice as Dredly said,

From the Game Commission:

Pennsylvania’s Game and Wildlife Code requires all first-time hunters and trappers, regardless of age, to attend and successfully complete the training. Participants must be at least 11 years of age to enroll in a course. (You must be 12 years old before you may begin to hunt.) There is no maximum age for enrollment.

More here----> http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=461&q=153086

Good Luck and Happy and Safe Hunting!
    Last edited by Bearhands; September 1st, 2008 at 05:56 AM.

(Luzerne County)

I have to agree with ALL the previous posters.... PLUS make sure you practice, practice and then practice some more.. You want to make sure that when and if you have the chance to harvest a deer that you make a good, clean first shot kill. DO NOT SHOOT FARTHER THAN YOU CAN COMFORTABLY HIT CONSISTANTLY..... If possible go with someone that has hunted before to learn all the things you will need to take with you to make your day in the field comfortable and enjoyable......

A backpack filled with goodies and extra clothing can make the difference between a good day hunting and a miserable "I'll never do that again" experience...

By GOODIES I dont mean just food and snacks... but maybe a space blanket, toilet paper, compass, firestarter, a whistle etc..... in case you DO get lost ( AND we ALL do at some time or other)...

There are alot of books and websites to help you get started with basic "Survival Kits"...

Seriously .... toilet paper (or baby wipes)

Especially if you are going to a camp with a couple other people. There is nothing like being out in the woods and getting the beer shits from the couple you had the night before.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    Seriously .... toilet paper (or baby wipes)

Especially if you are going to a camp with a couple other people. There is nothing like being out in the woods and getting the beer shits from the couple you had the night before.
    A roll of TP is too bulky.. Put on a couple of extra pairs of socks (old ones). As the day warms up, and the waste needs to leave, take off a pair of socks.

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

Bring an old Squaw with you..

They can cook, clean and do other chores around the camp...

When she starts looking good to you, its time to stop hunting and go home!
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by pirateron View Post
    A roll of TP is too bulky.. Put on a couple of extra pairs of socks (old ones). As the day warms up, and the waste needs to leave, take off a pair of socks.
    that would really cramp your toes... ouch

I carry a roll with me in my pack for long outings... you don't want to take a bit and then run out!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by pirateron View Post
    There's no need to carry an entire roll of TP....Take one from the bathroom when it gets down to about 1/4 in thick of paper left on the roll, or some napkins from last nights outing to McD's, or some Sunoco towels you took while filling up. You don't need enough to wrap a mummy, just enough to cover the unexpected wilderness loaf pinch....
    Last edited by Poonie; September 1st, 2008 at 09:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast