Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default savage axis firing pin protrusion

I believe I am having light primer strikes in my savage axis. 4 of 12 rounds had a dimple on the casing but failed to fire at the range. They were a brand new box of winchester xp rounds. They would fire on the second attempt though. Anyways I was wondering if anyone in the chambersburg area is able to check my firing pin protrusion to see if the gun is the issue. I have checked several gunsmiths and no one has the time to get me in before the holiday or deer season. Any recommendations to other shops if available is welcome also.
    Chris
    CboyarskiRN@aol.com

(York County)

Default Re: savage axis firing pin protrusion

If you don't mind a drive towards Allentown, check with Les Shaeffer, a member here, owner of Shaeffer Precision Gunworks. He's usually quick and very reasonable, and he's always been able to solve my issues.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(York County)

If you're close by the Dillsburg area I could take a look at it for you. send me a PM if you want to get together.
    Every day's a Saturday

(Bucks County)

Could also be a chamber problem. But I'd give another brand of cartridges a try, too.

Pictures would be useful. What caliber is Axis? Measure your firing pin and I'll measure the one I have for my Axis.

(Bucks County)

Masking tape is .005" thick. Place one thickness over the headstamped part of an unfired cartridge, chamber and close the bolt taking every precaution against actually firing the round. If it closes easily, place a second thickness over the first. Try to close the bolt. If able to close the bolt without much effort, the chamber is probably too deep or the lugs on the bolt or receiver are out of spec.

The round headspaces on its shoulder. If it is too "loose, the firing pin is hitting the primer but sending the cartridge forward, and the blow to the anvil is semi-cancelled. The second hit fires the round before sending it forward because the primer has a "head start" at firing. Just saying, the problem can be more involved than the firing pin. The depth of the firing pin strike on a fired primer should give a clue to the extended distance of the pin beyond bolt face.\

Start out with the easiest action. Can you get the firing pin out of the bolt body and ascertain the channel is debris-free?

(Dauphin County)

Thank you everyone for the ideas and help. I did dissassemble the bolt and clean it to ensure there was no debris or poor lubricant causing a change to how the firing pin travels. I did by match ammo from Nosler to rule out ammo as the problem... I will take it out on my next day off on Tuesday and repost if its still an issue.