Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Is this an overpressure issue?

I decided to try to measure the exact cartridge overall length (OAL) for my Win94. I partially seated a bullet in an empty case that I had opened up a bit (sized the neck with a .311 ball rather than a .308). Put it in the chamber and closed it. The OAL was 2.953", a bit longer than 2.543" I had been seating to (SAMMI spec is 2.55").

I made a couple of rounds seated to 2.553", 2.653", 2.753" and 2.853" (I'd read that you doubt necessarily want the bullet jammed into the lands & grooves). I got my best grouping at 2.753".

I noticed though that the primers were pushed out of the fired cases slightly.
    IMG_20161106_165104.jpg
    Hard to see here but I measured the primer to be pushed out 0.003" beyond the case, they were seated a little deeper than flush before firing.

Is this a problem?

IMG_20161106_164940.jpg
    There is no sign of them flowing as I have seen with very hot pistol loads.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Is this an overpressure issue?

The photos are slightly out of focus so it is hard to tell, but in the photo of the primers I don't see any that are flattened or cratered. Was extraction difficult?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Clarion County)

Just my experience with my pre 64 94.
    You didn't say what your loads were but I came to find out this is known to occur with light loads.
    Mine did it with my light cast loads and a tad with some medium loads. I was concerned it was a headspace issue. Found this and followed his instructions to check headspace: http://www.castbullet.com/misc/hspace.htm
    This does not replace go, or no go gauges, but I thought if I found it out of line I'd investigate further.
    Short version is I found by doing minimal resizing on the case all is well.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Lehigh County)

How many times were these cases loaded? I do not see any flattened ones either.

(Bucks County)

At the instant the charge goes off, the primer is pushed back against the bolt head. If the case isn't also at the bolt head, or pushed back into the bolt head very shortly after the primer, the primer will protrude from the pocket.

So think of things that can cause that . . . a light charge (as mentioned earlier) . . . perhaps in a case whose base-to-ogive measurement is noticeably shorter than your chamber.

(Montgomery County)

No extraction issues.

Its not a light load. I have 33 grains of Hornady Leverrvolution and a Hornady 160 grain FTX bullet. Chronograph reads just under 2400.
    Gonna try that headspace test. I guess get a factory cartridge and pull the bullet and primer for the test.

These cases have probably been fired a half dozen times. I trim them every time.

Not sure what the ogive to base measurement is in relation to my chamber. No idea how to check that.

(Bucks County)

I don't see any overpressure issues. The primers are round where they meet the pockets. You can probably push the load some if you want to and your "problem" will likely go away. Having a chrony for a reality check is always good.

Here is a link to some performance loads with Leverevolution. They show 35.5 max. Since you are seating the bullet longer (and you should) you will be getting even lower pressures.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/..._30-30_030811/

(Susquehanna County)

Another thought. If your loads are too light, the cases won't expand properly and seal the chamber, if so the cases should be dirty and sooty when you extract them. If you're only finding a little soot at the case neck they're performing properly.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

I think it's the springy rear locking action doing that. My brother's Winchester 94 cases also come out like that. I don't think there's a cause for concern, so long as you stick to published load data.