Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Ouch! Ruger LCR .38 Special is brutal

Bought this thing for the wife about 5 years ago. Maybe a few more. Had her to the range and she fired it with +P in it and seemed OK with it. Later I put a Crimson Trace laser grip on it, but it has since been a house gun residing in an "in case" status.

Got to thinking it's never been tried since the laser was installed. Last night I took 100 reloads and it to the range. These were lead semi-wadcutter loads.
    After 15 rounds I had had enough. But I fired five more. They were just an exercise of trying to ignore pain, overcoming anticipating the next jolt, trying to get a group. Done. Made a mistake. Shoulda taken another gun to shoot when i gave up on this one.

I tried various two-handed holds. None worked at relieving the hard-hitting recoil.

Man....I can't imagine shooting one of these in .357 magnum! The laser needed to be held a little low. In other words, POA produced higher POI. It's adjustable but I hadn't taken the wrench with me. It's close enough for government work.

At home, I spent hours removing the lead from chambers, barrel, and front of cylinder. If there is a next time, it's gonna be at least plated bullets.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Ouch! Ruger LCR .38 Special is brutal

Incase you didn't figure it out, it's the grips. I love the crimson trace on my 640-1 but it's all steel. Ruger put shock absorbers in the LCR because it's so lite. My Ti-lite J is a stinger too. Try the Lewis lead remover to speed up the lead removal.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Bought this thing for the wife about 5 years ago. Maybe a few more. Had her to the range and she fired it with +P in it and seemed OK with it. Later I put a Crimson Trace laser grip on it, but it has since been a house gun residing in an "in case" status.

Got to thinking it's never been tried since the laser was installed. Last night I took 100 reloads and it to the range. These were lead semi-wadcutter loads.
    After 15 rounds I had had enough. But I fired five more. They were just an exercise of trying to ignore pain, overcoming anticipating the next jolt, trying to get a group. Done. Made a mistake. Shoulda taken another gun to shoot when i gave up on this one.

I tried various two-handed holds. None worked at relieving the hard-hitting recoil.

Man....I can't imagine shooting one of these in .357 magnum
    ! The laser needed to be held a little low. In other words, POA produced higher POI. It's adjustable but I hadn't taken the wrench with me. It's close enough for government work.

At home, I spent hours removing the lead from chambers, barrel, and front of cylinder. If there is a next time, it's gonna be at least plated bullets.
    It's an experience to say the least.

All joking aside, the factory Hogue tamer grips do a good job of helping control it. It barks quite a bit, but isn't that uncomfortable for me with them. As said above, maybe the ct grips just don't do as good a job of soaking up recoil.

(Armstrong County)

Once you have your barrel lead free, swab it with type F transmission fluid before you shoot again. Lead can't stick to oil.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Lebanon County)

never noticed anything like that with the 38spl.
    the 9mm is snappy and barky however.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

I bought My S&W M38 airweight for my wife, she said it was hard to shoot, I shot it and agreed with her, then bought her a Ruger SR9c
    But its not a range gun, its a daily carry or BU gun. I basically shot it to see where the sights hit then carry it. I shoot it a couple times a year to make sure I remember how uncomfortable it can be and where its hitting..
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post

Made a mistake. Shoulda taken another gun to shoot when i gave up on this one.
    You go to the range with only one gun to shoot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    I bought My S&W M38 airweight for my wife, she said it was hard to shoot, I shot it and agreed with her, then bought her a Ruger SR9c
    But its not a range gun, its a daily carry or BU gun. I basically shot it to see where the sights hit then carry it. I shoot it a couple times a year to make sure I remember how uncomfortable it can be and where its hitting..
    I agree, I have a J- frame airweight, it's not a gun you shoot for fun, it's a small CC gun for that time you need a gun.

(Bucks County)

Forgot the other satchel of guns I meant to take.

Yeah, got up this morning and as I was brewing coffee it hit me...the grips. So now the gun is purpose-altered and that is the trade-off. If employed against an intruder of ill intent, it'll be relatively unnoticed, I'm thinkin'.

Maybe some pamprin would help?

I had to.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast