Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Question regarding Lowers and SBR.

Sorry I'm posting this here, all the other categories are acting buggy on my phone.
    I would like to know that in the state of PA, can an 18 year old buy a AR Lower from a private seller in a face to face transaction? I know you have to be 21 to buy one from an FFL.

Also, in regards to using a form 1 to make and register an Short Barrel Rifle, could I buy a complete AR, take the lower from it, get it serialized in my name, then buy a short barreled complete lower on it? After the form 1 comes back a few months later of course. Thanks in advance for the help!!

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Question regarding Lowers and SBR.

Quote Originally Posted by N1251 View Post
    Sorry I'm posting this here, all the other categories are acting buggy on my phone.
    I would like to know that in the state of PA, can an 18 year old buy a AR Lower from a private seller in a face to face transaction? I know you have to be 21 to buy one from an FFL.

Also, in regards to using a form 1 to make and register an Short Barrel Rifle, could I buy a complete AR, take the lower from it, get it serialized in my name, then buy a short barreled complete lower on it? After the form 1 comes back a few months later of course. Thanks in advance for the help!!
    If the lower has been turned into a rifle, at one point in time, then yes. If not, then no.

I don't quite understand your second question though... You are going to buy a rifle, register it as an SBR and then buy another lower?

(Allegheny County)

Buy a AR. Send in your form 1, when approved you can then reconfigure to an SBR. In the meantime you can shoot it as is until the approval comes back.

(Allegheny County)

Yep that's my fault I mean to say sbr upper, so basically buy a complete AR, submit the form 1, wait then when I get it back just put the sbr upper on the same lower that was previously used as a complete rifle.

(Allegheny County)

Yep that's my fault I mean to say sbr upper, so basically buy a complete AR, submit the form 1, wait then when I get it back just put the sbr upper on the same lower that was previously used as a complete rifle.
    Yep but there's one thing, you cannot be in possession of a SBR upper if you have a rifle unless you have either a registered SBR or a AR pistol or virgin stripped lower.

(Wayne County)

I'm pretty sure you can be in possession of less than 16" upper. It's not a firearm. It can be shipped directly to you.
    Just make sure that ATF doesn't have an easy case of constructive intent with your future sbr upper laying right next to your ar15.
    Better yet. Run a gun lock through receiver. Wrap your upper and store it away from your ar.

(Allegheny County)

Great replies thanks guys!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BB MBD View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can be in possession of less than 16" upper. It's not a firearm. It can be shipped directly to you.
    Just make sure that ATF doesn't have an easy case of constructive intent with your future sbr upper laying right next to your ar15.
    Better yet. Run a gun lock through receiver. Wrap your upper and store it away from your ar.
    Only if you have a SBR, pistol or stripped virgin AR lower. If you don't then by law you can't be in possession if you have an AR rifle/carbine only.

(Armstrong County)

You can and can't. If you have a rifle lower receiver and an SBR/pistol upper, they CAN get you for intent. I don't think anyone ever would, but it's a possibility. It would be kind of hard to submit your form 1 and put your barrel length or you OAL in, if you don't actually have the upper.

(Jefferson County)

1. PA only requires "firearms" to be properly transferred - you can do a private intra-state transfer of a virgin receiver without a FFL involved.
    2. You can manufacture that lower into a rifle, handgun, or an SBR(after you get the tax stamp). Age of possession for handguns and NFA is 18yo(21 from a FFL). A person 18yo can apply to manufacture or transfer an NFA device PRIVATELY.
    3. If by chance you do want to go the NFA route - the upper and barrel should be completely divorced of the the lower if the lower is not assembled as a handgun(or if you have a shoulder stock in possession). When I mean divorced - I mean keep it on someone else's property, and limit your access to it as much as possible. ....a trustworthy friend/relative to take custody of the upper(or shoulder stock if the lower is assembled as a handgun).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast