Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Where to shoot around york

Since my old range burned down in october, I have been itching to go out shooting. I am well aware of the dillsburg state game range. I prefer the area to have indoor ranges since I sometimes like to go and sight in my crimson trace or test it out. Also looking for a place that allows me to shoot shot guns and Ar's. I have heard some bad things about freedom armory, not sure if its all true or not. Any other recommendations that have indoor range space to shoot?
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(York County)

Default Re: Where to shoot around york

Personally I'm not a fan of freedom armory, I used to shoot there when I first moved to the area since it was close to my house but didn't stay there long because they are very expensive and have some weird rules. You have to buy a membership to shoot, was $160 for the year for my wife and I, and then even after you have the membership you still have to pay $15/hr for range time, and you are not allowed to draw from a holster in their range, no exceptions. Also unless you pay with cash or a debit card, they charge you a 3% fee on everything in the store, including range time.

My suggestion is the Trop, it's a little bit of a drive but in my opinion is worth it. Very nice range, not too expensive and also a very nice store. They also hold classes and events from time to time there now.
    Last edited by cham09; November 5th, 2016 at 08:15 PM.

(York County)

Looking on trops website, it looks like you have to be a member to shoot there. The website is confusing about membership and their costs. Also appears you cannot shoot a shotgun there which is a big thing for me as I am looking for a place to shoot a shot gun

East Maple Street... shooting hours usually start after 9PM

(Cumberland County)

West Shore Sportsmen's Association (WSSA)

http://www.westshoresportsmen.org/

$65/year for a adult membership. Shoot what you bring, just make sure that all rounds hit the impact berm. No stupid round limits. No stupid rate of fire rules.

I was there this past Saturday for a couple of hours (10:30-12:30). I had the rifle ranges (50yd and 100yd) to myself for everything but about the last 30 minutes. The pistol ranges had some customers, but nothing that would even remotely classify as busy.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Are you in the city of York or York County? Depending on which part you can also look into Green Springs Rod & Gun (Hanover area), East Berlin Fish and Game, Jefferson Sportmans Assoc (Spring Grove) and York Springs Sportmans Club. These may not be as close as a range in town but you'll spend less on an annual membership than hourly range rates.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    East Maple Street... shooting hours usually start after 9PM
    And any of the "royal streets".

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    West Shore Sportsmen's Association (WSSA)

http://www.westshoresportsmen.org/

$65/year for a adult membership. Shoot what you bring, just make sure that all rounds hit the impact berm. No stupid round limits. No stupid rate of fire rules.

I was there this past Saturday for a couple of hours (10:30-12:30). I had the rifle ranges (50yd and 100yd) to myself for everything but about the last 30 minutes. The pistol ranges had some customers, but nothing that would even remotely classify as busy.
    I would love to join the WSSA however you need a sponsor to join and I could never find one. This would be my first choice if I could somehow get an existing member to sponsor me.

(York County)

Looks like I am going to be joining northern york county fish & game.

(York County)

On this topic, is there anywhere around here (I'm in York city) that would be a decent place to fire BP revolvers?

A couple years ago I shot at York Riflemen with my father. He moved to Florida after sponsoring me for membership. Sadly, apparently they changed their by-laws so he had to attend the introductory meeting with me. He couldn't afford to fly/drive all the way from Florida for a couple hour meeting, and so my membership was denied. I was a bit irritated they wouldn't work with me, considering I was trying to get inexpensive practice in prior to my deployment last June...

Regardless, now that they are not an option, I'm trying to find a decent outdoor range where I can shoot in peace and not be bothered by RSO's constantly looking over my shoulder or large crowds...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast