Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts on the ATI gsg522?

I found a used gsg522 that I was considering buying. Are these ok guns? I don't want to end up with some pos rifle that's going to jam on me all the time. What's a fair price for these?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Thoughts on the ATI gsg522?

I had the 1st anniversary edition it ran well when it was clean but it gunked up pretty quickly and was a complete PITA to properly clean. The manufacturer advises a half ass cleaning and every time I followed their advice the rifle was jamming due to fouling after 100 rounds so at least for me a complete disassembly was required every few hundred rounds.
    Last edited by Hodgie; October 31st, 2016 at 11:38 PM.

I found and read this before making this thread. I was looking for more long term owners thoughts

(Philadelphia County)

I have a pre 522 GSG as well as the H&K licensed version by Walther.The Walther feels like it is more solidly built but they cost a little more.

(Armstrong County)

I have an old GSG5K that i bough in 2009, i think. It was a bit of tinker machine, but i swapped out some fasteners in the bolt and polished a few areas and it works great now. Cant tell you the last time i shot it though, prob 4 years.
    Actually ran well enough that I SBR'd it and put my name on it, so its mine for life now lol. Added a thread adapter and an old Tac Sol Quest 22 can i had laying around and its one of my most quiet host guns.
    It still wont eat Remington Golds, but those have larger driving bands, only a few my 22s will reliably load/fire/eject those.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Allegheny County)

POS. Glad I sold it.

Had one of the pre-HK-lawsuit GSG (they didn't pay the license fees that Walther did, to use the original looking sights, grip), and you constantly had to futtz with the nuts and bolts that held the firing mech-box/bolt-housing together inside the outer-shell. Plus the mags could be iffiy if the insides were not as smooth as a baby butt and even cleaner.

When absolutely clean - it could be a hoot to shoot. ARFCOM has a dedicated GSG subforum and by now, the major bugs in the GSG522 have been identified and addressed, plus GSG stands by their products.

If you must have a .22LR military lookalike, the best of the bunch is the purpose-built-as-a-.22 SIG-522. Anything newer than the 1st year production should be solid as a rock - the earliest ones had an easily-fixed recoil guide rod issue with a locking c-ring on the recoil guide rod.
    Once fixed, it could be taken into combat - they are that reliable and bullet-proof.

If you like the AR look, the purpose-built-as-a-.22 S&W M&P15 is supposed to be fantastic.
    Last edited by nfafan; November 2nd, 2016 at 06:35 AM.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

I've shot several .22ars and loved them. I found this gsg at a local shop and liked how. It looked and the price but I'm going to pass. Thanks nfafan you saved me a lot of headaches

(Tioga County)

Today my son bought a GSG 522-SD for $302 OTD. He also has an as yet unfired ISSC MK22. Will post a range report when we get a chance to try them.
    MikeP

(Allegheny County)

I always wanted to get one but the complaints about cleaning were consistent across the board and since I despised the process for cleaning my long gone Hi-Point, I never made buying the GSG522 a priority.

That said, I bought a GSG-AK47 and absolutely loved it.
    It ran well with most ammo I fed it and was a pretty good facsimile of an actual AK.

Sadly I let it go to pay bills.
    It wasn't that I didn't want to keep it - it was just one that I had no "attachment" to, and knew I could replace when I get around to it.
    I even had a triangle folding stock on it. (which I kept for future use)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast