Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: sks

(Cumberland County)

Default sks

I have a couple of SKS rifles, but would like to get a few more at some point. If any SKS experts wouldn't mind schooling me a bit - would love to get an email or pm with the most "desirable" and valuable ones. I always hear about better years, izzy's, etc, etc. and haven't figured it all out yet - lol. Thanks!

Default Re: sks

Any NON refurbished Russians are going for a premium however the real rare special ones are East Germans, Legit NVA rifles, or papered Chicom Bring backs and then there's the highly coveted North Koreans. All of this with the exception of the papered Chicom will run you $3k plus.

Other collector models are Chicom paratroopers, Navy Arms Farmers Friend with proper accessories and wooden box, Cowboys Companion with proper mount and scope. Then you have your more common SKS M and D models that were converted to take standard AK mags.

Albanians are something to look out for they are the most overlooked while having the smallest amount imported into the US. Matching Romanians, Yugo M59's as well as M59 snipers if you can find an original mount and scoped one it will bring huge money.

I suggest joining survivors SKS boards and reading through each sub forum for all the rifles and their differences.
    Last edited by Hodgie; October 30th, 2016 at 07:40 PM.

(Chester County)

I have two Russian Tula Arsenal SKS's. One is 1953, and the other 1954. I think the rarer ones are 1951. I don't know much about the others as I have stuck with my Russians since the early 1990's. Are you looking just to collect, or shoot?

(Lehigh County)

COLLECTABLE SKS RIFLES AVAILABLE IN THE U. S. A.

• Albanian, especially 1976

• Chinese - Any documented bring back war trophy, Chinese/Egyptian, Cowboy Companion, Farmer’s Friend, K-Sports, M-21, Midwest Conversions, Polytech Hunter, Public Security, Stamped receiver, T26 late 1970's early 80's with "French Tickler" hand guard, Type 84, Contract DP and DB, Unmolested 18 inch barrel

• East German

• North Korean

• Romanian - All especially no date, 1955, 1956

• Russian - 1949 hardwood stock and ll matching numbers, 1950 Italic stampings, 1951, 1952/53/54/55 Russian Tula, 1953 Izhevsk not issued and not refurbished, 1954 Izhevsk not issued and not refurbished, 1955 no date/ no star, Sino Soviet 1956 Matching, all other Sino-Soviet

• Viet Cong

• Yugoslavian - M59/66 stock with brass selector plate, M59/66A1 new and not issued, M59 B-series, M59 matching numbers

COLLECTABLE SKS RIFLES COMMERCIAL VARIANTS

• 16 inch Paratrooper with bayonet
    • Chinese - Honor guard with all paperwork and documentation, Precision degree rifle with documentation, Type 84 with matching numbered mags, Type “D” with standard stock and attached spike bayonet, Type "M" model 63 and open front sight, Type "M" MC-5D, Type “M” Monte Carlo stock, Type “M” thumbhole stock, Cowboy companion with matching scope and mount
    • Farmers Friend including G3 mount and type 84 scope, with box and instructions.
    • K sport Green
    • K sport Black
    • K sport Gray
    • Midwest arms Conversion folding stock combat arms “D”
    • Navy Arms sniper with type 86 scope and G3 mount mid receiver base
    • Navy arms Sharpshooter with rear receiver base and scope.
    • Polytec Hunter all original with riveted 5 rd mag

(Cumberland County)

Thanks all - a good start ! I am looking to occasionally shoot them, but mostly like other guns I collect - just to have.

(Indiana County)

In addition to what's been mentioned above:

Yugo M59 "long barrel", less than 100 suspected to have been made.
    Has a 22" barrel instead of 20" and is the only sks with an adjustable for windage front sight that doesn't require a pusher.

Any Russian Izhevsk is worth picking up, refurb or not IMO.

(Cumberland County)

Cool, thanks. I'm looking at two now, then I'll see what's at Lebanon show. Looking now at a Yugo M59 carbine for $369 and a '51 Russian Tula in great shape for $500. All the info. here gives me somewhere to start my look.

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    In addition to what's been mentioned above:

Yugo M59 "long barrel", less than 100 suspected to have been made.
    Has a 22" barrel instead of 20" and is the only sks with an adjustable for windage front sight that doesn't require a pusher.

Any Russian Izhevsk is worth picking up, refurb or not IMO.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Cool, thanks. I'm looking at two now, then I'll see what's at Lebanon show. Looking now at a Yugo M59 carbine for $369 and a '51 Russian Tula in great shape for $500. All the info. here gives me somewhere to start my look.
    There is soooo much information out there on SKS's that its hard to keep straight.

Here is a good site to keep bookmarked on your phone:
    http://yooperj.com/SKS.htm

The site won't help with pricing, but if you come across something strange it may help you decide if its worth grabbing like right now.

If the Russian is not a refurb that's a good price, if it is, meh... OK, but not great.

(Westmoreland County)

Another that is very rare but do turn up time to time is the Chinese stamped sheet metal receiver models . Another also not seen often but probably the nicest looking is the Polish honor guard SKS Poland never actually made the actual rifle itself it's simply a Russian sks that Poland restocked with a great looking blond laminate stock and hand guard with a polished bayonet . None were ever imported far as I know like this but a few folks like myself bought the stock and HG when they were being sold online a number of years ago . Google a pic of Polish SKS to see what it looks like . They turn up on the auction sites every now and then . Not original but neither were the originals actually in Poland if that makes sense .

If you want to see another rare boat anchor variant click here.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=312056