Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Question 60gr+ varmint load for .223?

So it looks like PA is finally getting its act together next year. Goody! First up will likely be varminting, and oh how wonderful I have a few of my favorite rifles ready for that in .223. (Also a son on the way according to the wife, so in 6 years or so it'll be two of us.) The catch is that two of them are 1 in 7 twist and one in 1 in 9, so maybe the slower one can squeak in 50's if I had to, but I really want to run the other two as well. Do any of you guys load varminting loads in 60-69gr weights? What has gotten the best results for you vs. woodchucks, coyotes, etc.?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Blair County)

Default Re: 60gr+ varmint load for .223?

I have used the AR platform a target ranges from 200 to 1,000 yards. When loaded for maximum accuracy (min. SD), not maximum velocity, in a 1 in 8 or 1 in 9, I have used 70 and 80 grain Sierra MK’s or Hornday’s. The Hornday’s are available in Varmint as well as target configuration. In a 22-250, because of the higher velocity, the 80’s don’t stabilize in a 1 in 8. Because of using a factory chamber, the rounds used at 600 and 1,000 are loaded long, so they don’t fit in the AR mag, they need to be singly fed into the rifle. Some accuracy can be gained by loading 0.1 inch longer and modifying the mag:

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/armags/armags.html

Steve

(Delaware County)

60 grain Hornady V-MAX over 25.0 grains of Varget groups very well for me in a 1:9 heavy barreled AR. Rounds are loaded magazine length.

(Dauphin County)

I like 69 Grain Sierras and 75 Grain Hornadys- I have had good results with Varget and H335. I 'll have to look up my loads. Shooting out of a 20" 1-7 twist. Sub MOA for sure.

(Westmoreland County)

Serria 60 gr flat base hp Shoots as well as any "match" bullet around out to 300 yds.

(Bucks County)

Hornady 60g V-MAX over 24.6g of H-4895 shoots .5 MOA in both my RRA ARs and Tikka T3 Lite Stainless (slightly better in the Tikka).

(Susquehanna County)

Service rifle shooters pretty much prefer the heavier bullets since they're shooting out to 600 yards. Here's a site that offers some good information on loads.

http://www.njhighpower.com/

click the sidebar that says "Reloading Stuph"

Lots of info! Have fun!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lancaster County)

Very good. Well, I got some V max and some 62 Varmageddons on the way to start testing. Splat goes the woodchuck!
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent