Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Question Berks County - Deer Hunting with Rifles in WMU-5C

So, I searched and found some older threads. I figured they were quite old and rules/regs change every year - or so it seems.

I got this from here:
    Lawful Arms & Ammunition
    Deer and Bear, Regular Seasons
    • Manually operated (pump, lever, bolt actions, single-shot) centerfire rifles, shotguns (shotguns do not have to be plugged when hunting deer, bears or elk) and handguns (revolvers or single-shots) with all-lead bullet or ball, or bullet designed to expand on impact;
    • Muzzleloading long guns of any type, 44 caliber or larger, or a muzzleloading handgun 50 caliber or larger, and;
    • Long, recurve, compound bows (minimum draw weight of 35 pounds) or crossbows (minimum 125-pound draw weight), with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 of an inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3.25 inches in length. The use of buckshot is not legal, except in the Southeast Special Regulations Area.

From here, I got the following:
    Deer & Bear Season, Arms & Ammunition
    • Allegheny County – Muzzleloading long guns 44 caliber or larger, bows and arrows, crossbows, manual or semi-automatic shotguns, .410 or larger using slugs. Buckshot is not permitted.
    • Remaining Counties–Muzzleloading long guns, 44 caliber or larger, manual or semi-automatic shotguns, .410 or larger, using slugs; 20-gauge or larger, using buckshot, bows and crossbows. Crossbows must have a minimum draw weight of 125 pounds. Ridley Creek and Tyler state parks–Manual or semi-automatic shotguns 20-gauge or larger using buckshot during special regulated deer hunts only, bows and arrows and crossbows.

So, while hunting WMU-5C in Berks County, can one use a centerfire rifle like a 7mm Mag or 30-06? I'm used to hunting Chester County and all I could use was my 12g slug gun. I think the second link and subsequent excerpt may be for special regs but I think 5C may be special regs. In my searches, I found others citing that semi-auto shotguns and centerfire rifles could be used for deer but, that's could be old info.

I know they stopped selling doe tags for counties years ago and moved to this WMU system - which I like and agree with. After all, the WMU system is largely based on physical boundaries that can be seen/found while afield and not some line on the map. (Sorry, folks hunting the state borders still have to deal with lines on a map.) However, I know there are still certain things that are based on county lines and I think this could be where my confusion comes in.
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Berks County - Deer Hunting with Rifles in WMU-5C

I think you are looking at the rules for the Special Regulations Area, on page 41.
    This impacts only Allegheny in the west, and the 5 SEPA counties, Phila, Bucks, Montco, Chester and Delaware.

Where you need to be extra careful is in places where the WMU boundaries cross county lines, such as 5C, which includes parts of Bucks, Montco, and Chester counties, which must follow the special regulations are rules, but also includes arts of Berks, Lehigh and Northampton, which are not subject to those rules. This can get especially sticky in a place like French Creek State Park, or the adjacent SGL 43. They are completely in 5C, but part of the park and the SGL is in Chester County and some is in Berks.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I think you are looking at the rules for the Special Regulations Area, on page 41.
    This impacts only Allegheny in the west, and the 5 SEPA counties, Phila, Bucks, Montco, Chester and Delaware.

Where you need to be extra careful is in places where the WMU boundaries cross county lines, such as 5C, which includes parts of Bucks, Montco, and Chester counties, which must follow the special regulations are rules, but also includes arts of Berks, Lehigh and Northampton, which are not subject to those rules. This can get especially sticky in a place like French Creek State Park, or the adjacent SGL 43. They are completely in 5C, but part of the park and the SGL is in Chester County and some is in Berks.
    Just as I said - I prefer the WMU system over the lines on a map... I'm quite familiar with French Creek State Park & the surrounding game lands & I certainly plan on staying north & west of the Chester County line. I just need to make sure I won't be hassled if I'm well into Berks - even though it's technically 5C.
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

(Berks County)

I hunt in 5c, just north of Reading.

Perfectly legal to hunt with a rifle. Only the Special Regs area has the limitations.

(Montgomery County)

I was in SGL43 yesterday but I never got close enough to the county border. Are there any kind of signs posted?