Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Winchester "New Model" 1873 in .357/.38

Has anyone picked one of these up? What's the consensus?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Winchester "New Model" 1873 in .357/.38

Couldn't find anything with the google search... I bought my daughter a Rossi 357/38 lever action in stainless for about $425- she loves it !
    That's all i can add...

Cb
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    Couldn't find anything with the google search... I bought my daughter a Rossi 357/38 lever action in stainless for about $425- she loves it !
    That's all i can add...

Cb
    Link here for Bud's

The Rossi is appealing because of the price, but I've heard about hit or miss feeding issues, especially with .38s

(Elk County)

I have not examined the current Winchester-branded 1873 product. The original 1873's action actuated and locked by a toggle link, and that was its weakness along with uncontrolled metallurgy w.r.t. today. I'm sure the current 1873 is an improvement, but IMO the Model 1892 / 92 is a much stronger and robust action for pistol caliber cartridges:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...92+TRPR+357MAG

I realize that Bud's is OOS on the 92, but last I was there, Grice in Clearfield had them in stock, short and long barrels.

As for the Rossi 92, the fix for feeding problems is to change the ejector spring to one that is not as forceful. There is a Hillman "hardware store" spring that is a drop-in, and I have several at home but I forget the Hillman stock number. I wish I had $100 for every one of these replacements I've installed in Rossi rifle and Ranch Hands and had the owners practically jumping for joy that the guns fed ammo without issue.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Chester County)

I examined a new Winchester M70 at a gun shop, and was quite impressed with the quality of these new Winchesters. I have also read good things about them.

(Berks County)

The Rossi's are also built on a completely different action, being based on the 92 instead of the 73. The 73 is far smoother, but they are more fragile. I have not personally handled one of the new Winchesters, but I imagine they're comparable with the Ubertis. Everything I've read on them says they are top notch. As jthrelf mentioned, 357/38 lever guns tend to be finicky with 38 because of the length difference. That's why some cowboy action shooters get the rifle chambered in 38 to feed the same ammo as their pistols without cycling issues - or you can just run 357 in it.

I'm currently trying to convince a shop owner to sell me an original 1873 in 44-40. Love the 73 actions!

If you're not 100% settled on the 1873, I just saw a Marlin in 38 at Shakey's in Orwigsburg that was smooth as butter & would be a fantastic race gun.

(Chester County)

Everyone needs a Winchester lever gun in their safe. Had I been thinking in terms of buying a rifle that could share my handgun ammo I would have gotten the 1893 in .357 mag. years ago, but went with the model 94 in 30-30 instead, thinking it would be a great alternative to my Browning BLR 81 in 30-06 for hunting in heavy brush. Once my ammo safe started busting at the seams, but I still had a hankering for a carbine that could share ammo with one of my revolvers I went with the Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. Neither lever gun has ever disappointed me, so I guess the question is what is your intended use of the rifle. I got the Winchester for hunting white tail, and the Marlin for sitting by the campfire at my hunting camp deep in bear country. I have no regrets about either purchase, but a Marlin carbine is half the price of the Winchester your considering, and IMHO is comparable in quality and accuracy.
    Last edited by str8shooter; October 26th, 2016 at 10:53 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I have not examined the current Winchester-branded 1873 product. The original 1873's action actuated and locked by a toggle link, and that was its weakness along with uncontrolled metallurgy w.r.t. today. I'm sure the current 1873 is an improvement, but IMO the Model 1892 / 92 is a much stronger and robust action for pistol caliber cartridges:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...92+TRPR+357MAG

I realize that Bud's is OOS on the 92, but last I was there, Grice in Clearfield had them in stock, short and long barrels.

As for the Rossi 92, the fix for feeding problems is to change the ejector spring to one that is not as forceful. There is a Hillman "hardware store" spring that is a drop-in, and I have several at home but I forget the Hillman stock number. I wish I had $100 for every one of these replacements I've installed in Rossi rifle and Ranch Hands and had the owners practically jumping for joy that the guns fed ammo without issue.

Noah
    Thanks Noah! Do you recall the price on the 92s at Grice's? I can also give them a quick call.

Are these ejector springs also something you'd be able to find the part number for by searching for one of your springs that you have on hand? Is the install relatively easy?

Quote Originally Posted by theunrulychef View Post
    The Rossi's are also built on a completely different action, being based on the 92 instead of the 73. The 73 is far smoother, but they are more fragile. I have not personally handled one of the new Winchesters, but I imagine they're comparable with the Ubertis. Everything I've read on them says they are top notch. As jthrelf mentioned, 357/38 lever guns tend to be finicky with 38 because of the length difference. That's why some cowboy action shooters get the rifle chambered in 38 to feed the same ammo as their pistols without cycling issues - or you can just run 357 in it.

I'm currently trying to convince a shop owner to sell me an original 1873 in 44-40. Love the 73 actions!

If you're not 100% settled on the 1873, I just saw a Marlin in 38 at Shakey's in Orwigsburg that was smooth as butter & would be a fantastic race gun.
    Not discounting a Marlin either. But I've heard of issues with the newer productions ones. Do you recall a price for the Marlin you saw? Assuming it was an 1894?

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    Everyone needs a Winchester lever gun in their safe. Had I been thinking in terms of buying a rifle that could share my handgun ammo I would have gotten the 1893 in .357 mag. years ago, but went with the model 94 in 30-30 instead, thinking it would be a great alternative to my Browning BLR 81 in 30-06 for hunting in heavy brush. Once my ammo safe started busting at the seams, but I still had a hankering for a carbine that could share ammo with one of my revolvers I went with the Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. Neither lever gun has ever disappointed me, so I guess the question is what is your intended use of the rifle. I got the Winchester for hunting white tail, and the Marlin for sitting by the campfire at my hunting camp deep in bear country. I have no regrets about either purchase, but a Marlin carbine is half the price of the Winchester your considering, and IMHO is comparable in quality and accuracy.
    My planned use is pretty light, just range fun and sharing caliber with a 357 revolver. Mainly looking for a smooth, reliable rifle and if I don't have to pay >$1000 for a Winchester to get that, it's certainly worth looking into other options. Not set on the 1873 action necessarily.

Thank you all for your feedback.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Not discounting a Marlin either. But I've heard of issues with the newer productions ones. Do you recall a price for the Marlin you saw? Assuming it was an 1894?
    It was a 1894 cowboy competition, yeah. I think it was about a grand, which I thought was a bit steep. It did have a beautifully smooth action though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I examined a new Winchester M70 at a gun shop, and was quite impressed with the quality of these new Winchesters. I have also read good things about them.
    I believe FN is making them now in Portugal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast