Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Jefferson County)

Default After market sight problem - Ugh !

Well, OK...

A while back I came on here to ask about after market sights for a Ruger SR9. Some good folks made some recommendations. Good recommendations!! Ordered a set of sights from the Ruger website. Had a good smith install the sights. After they were on he said... [I]maybe need some tinkering... maybe some "Kentucky elevation" 'casue the front sight is pretty tall.[I] Well, yep the front is tall and I do some corrective elevation. BUT the sights radiate light like a lazer. Perfect sight picture. Shooting better than I have for a long time.

Sooooo Wht's the prob??? The front sight is so tall that it hangs up in both my holsters. I use a paddle type belt holster... Don't remember what brand and my favorite is a old WW II G.I. type leather cross chest holster that I worked on with "neat's foot" oil to soften and shape to accept the Ruger. Both work great with the old factory sights which had a tapered ramp but the new front sight has a non-taper. Just a sharp elevation from the top of the slide. Acts like an old farm plow in a field full of roots. Hangs and snags and rips the fabric.

Any suggestions?
    PS. To the guys who recommended the after market sights. You were right about improved sight pic and easier sight alignment. Great sights for all that. Thank you.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: After market sight problem - Ugh !

There are carry configurations and there are hunting and range shooting configurations. Sounds like you made an incorrect choice of sights for holster carry. I believe some holsters have channels to accommodate the sights. Guess it's time to do some additional shopping.

(Beaver County)

Same thing happened with my G29 after a sight install. Went through about 5 different holsters to accommodate the new sights. Settled on a Safariland ALS.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Lancaster County)

what sights did you end up going with? The trijicon HD's?

I would suggest ordering a kydex holster, most of them are built to accept aftermarket sights, some even with enough room for suppressor height sights.

(Jefferson County)

Hello Glockman24

Because I have had some previous "great ideas" on my own that did not work out, I actually went with the sights offered on the Ruger accessory website. I bought the SR-series sight set. Model 12936. On the screen the front sight does not appear to be very tall. The sight's height sure does snag inside my holsters. For dress-up I use a Bianchi leather under the left arm. It will accept and release the piece but (maybe my imagination) the piece does not seem to fit well back into the body of the holster.

I would appreciate any comment on this question: Would it be possible to create ... i.e. grind a bevel or a tapered edge on the rear of the front sight ? I saw a post somewhere about the light gathering tube on the front sight seemed to become loose after a lot of shooting???

Or. Has anyone done any sort of upgrade to the visibility of the factory sights?? Comments appreciated.
    Thank you