Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAA EDC

(Bradford County)

Default SAA EDC

How we y'all doing?
    Just wanted to rant on something that has been gnawing at me for a couple days.

I carry a Uberti cattleman in 45lc everyday. I am familiar with this firearm and know it inside and out as well as being very proficient with it.
    Recently I got into a debate about how modern pistols are far superior and more suitable for defensive carry. I'm just looking to see some other folks ideas to my side of the debate think.

1. Slow rate of fire.
    2. Low round count
    3. Reliabilty
    4. Reloading
    5. Concealabilty

First point. I can agree to a point with this but only when compared to mondern semi pistols. I have to cock and shoot as opposed to draw aim fire. I practice to cock on the draw and aim and fire. Maybe a hair slower.

Second point. This one I totally disagree with. Most modern revolvers carry 6 rounds. I carry 5 with hammer on empty chamber. I do not see the need for 17 rounds in the gun plus 2 more mags. If you need that much firepower you have gotten into a situation you can't control anyways.

Third point. No way this is an issue. My revolver is just as reliable as any glock.

Fourth point. Yes reloading is slower, a lot slower acctually when compared to mag feed pistols. But when you look at statistics most guns fight end in 1-3 shots fired. But if faced with reloading I have practiced how to efficiently use cover and reload after a couple shots.

Fifth point. Yes it is hard to conceal a SAA but this is of no concern for me as I mostly carry open with a jacket in the cooler months and the summer time is just open with a t shirt and jeans. Just a plain leather holster nothing fancy.

What do you guys think.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H.L.Mencken

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: SAA EDC

No one has ever gotten into a situation where they said wow I wish I didn't have so much ammo. You're comfortable with 5. I'd prefer as much as I can carry without looking like a pack mule

(Chester County)

I either carry a single stack Polish P-83 with nine rounds of 9x18, or a CZ PCR with fifteen rounds of 9x19. Carry what you shoot well, and in which you are comfortable. I would feel fine with five rounds of .45 Colt in an SAA.

I Carry a Glock 43 or my Glock 19,Never needed more than 2-3 rounds but comfortable with 8 in the 43 and 15 in the 19 ! JMO/MDT

(Bucks County)

I say do what works for you and carry what you're most comfortable with. If your preferred platform is the SAA that is what you will operate the best under a stressful situation. I used to do a lot of competitive shooting (USPSA, 2 gun, 3 gun, etc.). I've seen a lot of guys run a pump shotgun very proficiently then switch to a semi and try to pump the forend and waste a lot of time trying to figure out why their shotgun won't pump. I've seen people used to running a manually operated rifle eject a live round after every shot when they're running a semi. My thumb has spent a lot of time searching for the safety on a pistol that has no safety.

My point is that stress does weird things to your brain, even minor stress like competition let alone the stress of a life and death confrontation, and it will revert back to what it has done the most.

I often carry a 5-shot .38 Special , so 5 shots of .45 trumps that. While one of my single action revolvers wouldn't necessarily be my first choice if I was going up against a team of highly trained urban terrorists , but for a trip into a low crime area , I certainly wouldn't abandon all hope. If your comfortable and cool under stress , you'll probably do better than someone who is not as cool and starts spraying bullets as soon as he almost clears his holster.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Tioga County)

As reputed to have been said by Mr. W Earp, "Fast is good, accuracy is final." A round from a 45LC will get it done. Me, I carry things chambered in 45ACP mostly. On rare occasions I carry my P238 usually as a Bug on my ankle.
    Like the OP I open carry. No issues in my part of Penn's Woods.
    USNRET '61-'81

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    No one has ever gotten into a situation where they said wow I wish I didn't have so much ammo. You're comfortable with 5. I'd prefer as much as I can carry without looking like a pack mule
    I'd also prefer to carry a pistol that doesn't require carrying one less round in order to be carried safely but that just me. Seconds might as well be hours if you ever end up in a real world civilian type SD or gun fight just something to ponder.

My advise is to take a basic pistol SD class not some taticool bull shit mind you but something that replicates what the average person may come across in an everyday situation. Use your SAA and see how well it handles the tasks at hand. Then and only then can you logically answer this question.

(Bradford County)

I understand to some degree about the carrying as much ammo as ya can for some people. I guess if I lived in or traveled to the city's often then I'd consider something more up to date. But in Bradford county PA it's unlikly that I will run into a situation where I need more that the 12 rounds I carry. I may have misworded my original post on that topic. I train with my 45 2-3 times a week on different scenarios. Maybe that's not as much as some but it's more than most. I have no formal instruction on SD just a lot of reading and a lot of questioning. I then take what I learn and apply that to my training routine.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Super38 View Post
    How we y'all doing?
    Just wanted to rant on something that has been gnawing at me for a couple days.

I carry a Uberti cattleman in 45lc everyday. I am familiar with this firearm and know it inside and out as well as being very proficient with it.
    Recently I got into a debate about how modern pistols are far superior and more suitable for defensive carry. I'm just looking to see some other folks ideas to my side of the debate think.

1. Slow rate of fire.
    2. Low round count
    3. Reliabilty
    4. Reloading
    5. Concealabilty

First point. I can agree to a point with this but only when compared to mondern semi pistols. I have to cock and shoot as opposed to draw aim fire. I practice to cock on the draw and aim and fire. Maybe a hair slower.

Second point. This one I totally disagree with. Most modern revolvers carry 6 rounds. I carry 5 with hammer on empty chamber. I do not see the need for 17 rounds in the gun plus 2 more mags. If you need that much firepower you have gotten into a situation you can't control anyways.

Third point. No way this is an issue. My revolver is just as reliable as any glock.

Fourth point. Yes reloading is slower, a lot slower acctually when compared to mag feed pistols. But when you look at statistics most guns fight end in 1-3 shots fired. But if faced with reloading I have practiced how to efficiently use cover and reload after a couple shots.

Fifth point. Yes it is hard to conceal a SAA but this is of no concern for me as I mostly carry open with a jacket in the cooler months and the summer time is just open with a t shirt and jeans. Just a plain leather holster nothing fancy.

What do you guys think.
    1) Yes, it's slower. That's just reality. How much slower? Maybe not much with practice. But even if it's a 60/40 advantage, you're on the down-side.

2) Disagree. Say you get into an 'argument' with 5 bad dudes. Now you need to be 100% accurate: 1 shot, 1 take-down. No matter how much practice and comfort, I don't like needing to be 100% with adrenaline pumping. I prefer my H&K with 17+1. I only have to be <33% "accurate". What about if you get in an 'argument' with 7 "bad hombres". Now YOU gotta be 100% accurate AND decide how to deal with the other 2... Whereas I got 2 shots per + 3 in reserve.

3) Agree this is a wash

4) You're right. Reloading is slower. IMHO, MUCH slower under adrenaline rush, even with speedloader, etc. MORE IMPORTANT you gotta reload after 5, I gotta reload after 17... AND my reload is faster.

5) For you, maybe concealability is a null. Certainly concealing most any modern semi-auto is AT LEAST as good as your cattleman. MOST will be better. For you, it may be a 50/50, but for many, esp those not ready/willing to open carry (I'm one), most modern semi-autos will be more concealable.

Bottom line, for YOUR particular situation, you gotta make your own choice. But I think that it's arguable a modern semi-auto is a better choice even with your particulars. If we take that out to "most folks situation" I think it's a "no-contest"....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast