Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Kel-Tec Sub2000 V2 9mm Beretta, worth buying?

Looking at one of these and its out of my wheelhouse.

Stainless(?) Sub2000, new, priced right but I don't know anything about them.

I thought since I have dozens of Beretta mags this might be something for the girls to shoot at the range and it could double as a rifle the 13 year old could use for defense at home if need be.

Anyone actually have one?
    Not really interested in Internet lore, I can google that.
    I'm also not asking about other options, I have lots of guns, this one just looks like something the kids could handle that has a little more oomph than their .22's...

(Elk County)

Default Re: Kel-Tec Sub2000 V2 9mm Beretta, worth buying?

Works best with 147 gr loads or warm-hot loads. Doesn't function well with bulk UMC, but that stuff doesn't push the bolts of my 9mm SMGs back sufficiently to engage the sear, so mostly the guns run away until the mag empties, auto dumping. But I digress.

I had three Gen 1 Sub 2000s, and after finding that heavy or hot loads were needed I sold the 3rd and final one. I have an extensive amount of 9mm ammo, and none of it is 147gr. I did not want to load reloads hotter because other guns in the inventory would get beat to shit. So my 9mm carbines are Mini Uzis. They handle UMC, Winchester White Box, Wolf/Tula, S&B, Perfecta, Fiocchi, and my std reloads without issue. And I already had a ton of Uzi mags.

If a gun doesn't work on the standardized ammo inventory it goes down the road.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

I know your not interested in other options however your stock of beretta mags will fit the CX4 storm which is a better built option just a bit bigger so it would depend on how old your kids are.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I know your not interested in other options however your stock of beretta mags will fit the CX4 storm which is a better built option just a bit bigger so it would depend on how old your kids are.
    I've looked at them before but the price seems high for such a high amount of plastic, the bulbous stock is unappealing IMO and the top end with those goofy ears just don't appeal to me.

That's why I was thinking this Kel-Tec might be a better option due to it's slimness and the threaded barrel that I could add a muzzle device.

I trust Noah's opinion and if they are choosy about ammo I'm going to pass regardless of the price.
    Think I'll go buy some more mags for the FAL...

(Bucks County)

I had been intrigued by s2k for a while and finally asked about them in a shop on Monday. The owner didn't have one on the shelf but let me handle his personal s2k that he had in the back. My first impression was that it felt a lot more solid than I thought it would. The owner said he was expecting to get another one in soon and said he would give me a call when it came in. Tuesday morning he calls to let me know he has a gen2 that takes Glock 19 mags so I go in that afternoon and walked out with it. I put 150 rounds through it on Wednesday so my experience is short term.

My initial impressions...

As previously stated it's a lot more solid than I expected.

It's a very light and slim feeling carbine.

Ergonomics are quite good for me.

Accuracy was good. 25 yards standing I made one big hole about the size of my hand. Next time I'll shoot from a rest to see what it can really do. I was more interested in reliability and just getting used to it on this trip.

No reliability issues. I put some handloads, blazer aluminum, and Remington hollowpoints through it.

The trigger is pretty stiff. My trigger finger was quite fatigued and the last mag was hard to get through. I'm hoping it improves with use but if not, there are trigger kits available.

The recoil spring is stiff which may be an issue for smaller/weaker shooters trying to work the action.

It came with a magpul mag that does not always drop free but all of my glock mags do drop free. May not even be an issue with the beretta version.

There's a few sharp edges on the polymer bits which could be easily remedied but so far they're not bad enough for me to bother with.

Overall I am very happy with it. I hope this info helps and I think I covered everything but if not I'll be happy to answer any questions.

(Indiana County)

Thanks for the input cornhusker.

At the point I've decided to pass on it.
    I'd never use it and if it's hard to operate neither would the kids and I'd probably end up selling it.

(Elk County)

Flat:

I forgot to mention that seeing it's blowback and where the charging handle is located, "racking" it takes a bit of muscle and can be a PITA.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Flat:

I forgot to mention that seeing it's blowback and where the charging handle is located, "racking" it takes a bit of muscle and can be a PITA.

Noah
    Yes, it's a bit tough.
    I tried it a few times in the shop and the kids wouldn't be able to work it that's for sure.
    I didn't consider that a deal breaker at the time because I'd be with them when they'd be using it but the more I thought about the ammo possibly being a problem I figure I'll just stick with the .22's for now.

(Lehigh County)

I went through a few PCC's and settled on a Gen 1 Sub-2000.

I bought the Sig mag release and beveled the bottom of the grip and now it takes my CZ-75 magazines and is a lot of fun to shoot.

I haven't had any issue with cheap Russian 9mm or 115 grain.

(Wayne County)

I owned sub2000 in .40 and 9mm. Long story short I now own 2 hi point carbines instead. Novelty of sub2000 wears off pretty quick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast