Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Ruger SuperBlackhawk Scope Mounts Loosening Up

I have a Ruger SuperBlackhawk in 44 magnum that the scope mounts kept loosening up on (after 20 medium load shots). Not the part of the mount that secures the scope tube, but the part that secures the mount to the barrel. Last night I took the mounts apart, cleaned w/ alcohol, put low strength Loctite (222) on the screws, remounted & torqued down as tight as I dared to go. Hopefully this will cure the problem, otherwise I will call Ruger.

Has anybody else had this issue?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Ruger SuperBlackhawk Scope Mounts Loosening Up

I was going to say to clean the threads. People often miss that part.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

What model SBH do you have; regular SBH or the SBH Hunter model? I'm going to assume the Hunter model since you mentioned calling Ruger if cleaning and applying the thread locker doesn't resolve the issue. You could always try a new mount;

http://www.jackweigand.com/Redhawk_B...ey_Hunter.html

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    What model SBH do you have; regular SBH or the SBH Hunter model? I'm going to assume the Hunter model since you mentioned calling Ruger if cleaning and applying the thread locker doesn't resolve the issue. You could always try a new mount;

http://www.jackweigand.com/Redhawk_B...ey_Hunter.html
    It is the hunter model. I really torqued the screws this time. Hoping that along w/ the Loctite 222 that my issue is resolved.

(Lancaster County)

Im following your other thread, and Id say that your 240 gr 1200-1400 fps load you are working up for whitetail merits a few drops of locktite !LOL!

I roll my own .41 Magnum and that is no powder puff load even for the .44

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Im following your other thread, and Id say that your 240 gr 1200-1400 fps load you are working up for whitetail merits a few drops of locktite !LOL!
    Thanks! As stated in the other thread, I am developing decent hunting loads and not trying to find the hottest load that my gun/I can handle.

That being said, I do want to point out that for small fasteners, the torque/locking compound strength is proportionately than in larger fasteners. For instance, 1/4-20 bolts are generally overtighened, 1/2-13 are generally properly tightened and 3/4-10 are generally undertightened. Likewise, a low strength thread locker (such as 222, purple) will have the same holding ability on a 1/4-20 as a medium strength (such as 242, blue) on a 1/2-13 and a high strength (such as 271, red). Small fasteners w/ high strength thread lockers generally require heat to remove & I have no desire to put a torch on my BlackHawk! BTW, I did not gauge the threads, but if I had to guess that the ring mount bolts are 10-32.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Thanks! As stated in the other thread, I am developing decent hunting loads and not trying to find the hottest load that my gun/I can handle.

That being said, I do want to point out that for small fasteners, the torque/locking compound strength is proportionately than in larger fasteners. For instance, 1/4-20 bolts are generally overtighened, 1/2-13 are generally properly tightened and 3/4-10 are generally undertightened. Likewise, a low strength thread locker (such as 222, purple) will have the same holding ability on a 1/4-20 as a medium strength (such as 242, blue) on a 1/2-13 and a high strength (such as 271, red). Small fasteners w/ high strength thread lockers generally require heat to remove & I have no desire to put a torch on my BlackHawk! BTW, I did not gauge the threads, but if I had to guess that the ring mount bolts are 10-32.
    This seemed to do the trick. Will keep pushing more rounds thru & checking bolts to make sure they have not loosened up.