Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Jim Zumbo apologizes

I was wrong, BIG TIME
    Someone once said that to err is human. I just erred, and made without question, the biggest blunder in my 42 years of writing hunting articles.

My blog inflamed legions of people I love most..... hunters and shooters. Obviously, when I wrote that blog, I activated my mouth before engaging my brain.

Let me explain the circumstances surrounding that blog. I was hunting coyotes, and after the hunt was over and being beat up by 60 mph winds all day, I was discussing hunting with one of the young guides. I was tired and exhausted, and I should have gone to bed early. When the guide told me that there was a "huge" following of hunters who use AR 15's and similar weapons to hunt prairies dogs, I was amazed. At that point I wrote the blog, and never thought it through.

Now then, you might not believe what I have to say, but I hope you do. How is it that Zumbo, who has been hunting for more than 50 years, is totally ignorant about these types of guns. I don't know. I shot one once at a target last year, and thought it was cool, but I never considered using one for hunting. I had absolutely no idea how vast the numbers of folks are who use them.

I never intended to be devisive, and I certainly believe in United we Stand, Divided we Fall. I've been an NRA member for 40 years, have attended 8 national NRA conventions in the last 10 years, and I'm an advisory board member for the United States Sportsmen's Alliance which actively fights anti-hunters and animal rights groups for hunter's rights.

What really bothers me are some of the unpatriotic comments leveled at me. I fly the flag 365 days a year in my front yard. Last year, through an essay contest, I hosted a soldier wounded in Iraq to a free hunt in Botswana. This year, through another essay contest, I'm taking two more soldiers on a free moose and elk hunt.

When I started blogging, I was told to write my thoughts, expressing my own opinion. The offensive blog I wrote was MY opinion, and no one else's. None of the companies that I deal with share that opinion, nor were they aware of what I had written until this firestorm started.

Believe it or not, I'm your best friend if you're a hunter or shooter, though it might not seem that way. I simply screwed up. And, to show that I'm sincere about this, I just talked to Ted Nugent, who everyone knows, and is a Board member of the NRA. Ted is extremely active with charities concerning our wounded military, and though he's known as a bowhunter, Ted has no problem with AR 15's and similar firearms. My sincerity stems from the fact that Ted and I are planning a hunt using AR 15's. I intend to learn all I can about them, and again, I'm sorry for inserting my foot in my mouth.
    http://www.slcfsa.com/index.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1130&dateline=1165613  693Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Jim Zumbo apologizes

Quote Originally Posted by RugerNiner View Post
    I was wrong, BIG TIME
    Someone once said that to err is human. I just erred, and made without question, the biggest blunder in my 42 years of writing hunting articles.

My blog inflamed legions of people I love most..... hunters and shooters. Obviously, when I wrote that blog, I activated my mouth before engaging my brain.

Let me explain the circumstances surrounding that blog. I was hunting coyotes, and after the hunt was over and being beat up by 60 mph winds all day, I was discussing hunting with one of the young guides. I was tired and exhausted, and I should have gone to bed early. When the guide told me that there was a "huge" following of hunters who use AR 15's and similar weapons to hunt prairies dogs, I was amazed. At that point I wrote the blog, and never thought it through.

Now then, you might not believe what I have to say, but I hope you do. How is it that Zumbo, who has been hunting for more than 50 years, is totally ignorant about these types of guns. I don't know. I shot one once at a target last year, and thought it was cool, but I never considered using one for hunting. I had absolutely no idea how vast the numbers of folks are who use them.

I never intended to be devisive, and I certainly believe in United we Stand, Divided we Fall. I've been an NRA member for 40 years, have attended 8 national NRA conventions in the last 10 years, and I'm an advisory board member for the United States Sportsmen's Alliance which actively fights anti-hunters and animal rights groups for hunter's rights.

What really bothers me are some of the unpatriotic comments leveled at me. I fly the flag 365 days a year in my front yard. Last year, through an essay contest, I hosted a soldier wounded in Iraq to a free hunt in Botswana. This year, through another essay contest, I'm taking two more soldiers on a free moose and elk hunt.

When I started blogging, I was told to write my thoughts, expressing my own opinion. The offensive blog I wrote was MY opinion, and no one else's. None of the companies that I deal with share that opinion, nor were they aware of what I had written until this firestorm started.

Believe it or not, I'm your best friend if you're a hunter or shooter, though it might not seem that way. I simply screwed up. And, to show that I'm sincere about this, I just talked to Ted Nugent, who everyone knows, and is a Board member of the NRA. Ted is extremely active with charities concerning our wounded military, and though he's known as a bowhunter, Ted has no problem with AR 15's and similar firearms. My sincerity stems from the fact that Ted and I are planning a hunt using AR 15's. I intend to learn all I can about them, and again, I'm sorry for inserting my foot in my mouth.
    As much as I detest an ad hominem argument, it is difficult to let this slide by without comment.

There are some phrases in his apology smack of insincerity. For instance:

The people I love most... translation: The people who buy the magazine and watch the show. The people who pay the mortgage. Let's not forget Remington, either. The people who pay for the advertising in the magazine.

I never intended... translation: Since I've been to so many conventions and done so many things I am an expert. This is an appeal to authority. It is a logical fallacy and believing it is to be taken in by a confidence man.

What really bothers me... translation: I'm a bigger patriot than you are. How dare you say otherwise.

When I started... translation: I better pull my fat out of the fire before I get fired.

Believe it or not, I'm your best friend... translation: We're from the government, we're here to help? I don't know about you but the last time someone told me they were my friend cost me dearly.

In fairness to Jim Zumbo, although I can find no reason or desire to be fair to him, he may have had a short explosion of his brain gases. That happens to everyone. But his attempts to place himself above the rest of us (Ted and I) negates any good that may come from his retraction.

Does he really mean Ted Nugent? Or does he mean the other Ted? The damage is done. Nothing he says after this can stop the Brady Center or anyone else from quoting him.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by TRB View Post
    Nothing he says after this can stop the Brady Center or anyone else from quoting him.
    They already did. http://www.myspace.com/bradycampaign
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    That is a myspace and not the brady center website, I doubt this is more then a person who supports the brady campaigh. in the profile it is listed a s 27 male...

Found this to be interesting in the brady bunch..
    A controversy occurred after Sarah Brady recounted in her book that she had purchased a Remington .30-06 rifle with a scope and safety lock at a Lewes, Delaware, gun shop, for her son, James Scott Brady, Jr., "as a Christmas present" in 2000. According to Delaware Justice Department spokeswoman Lori Sitler, this purchase was apparently a "straw purchase". Under the gun laws, her son, as the intended recipient of the weapon, should have undergone the required background checks, although he has no criminal record.
    According to a quote in the New York Times, "We hope that it's innocuous and there's been no laws violated," said James Jay Baker, chief lobbyist for the National Rifle Association. "It's obviously interesting that Sarah would be purchasing firearms of any kind for anybody, given her championing of restrictive guns laws for everyone."
    Ms. Brady was not indicted by any grand jury, state or federal, in the incident

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Brady
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Looks like Remington already unassed themselves from Zumbo...this is froma Glocktalk post:
    -------------------------

Response From Remington To Zumbo's Comments

Hi folks. My brother received an email a little while ago, from the CEO of Remington. He gave us permission to post the content of his message. Here it is:

"You may feel free to advise your people of the following.

Remington is shocked and dissappointed by the comments of Jim zumbo which have been widely circulated on the web. These comments do not reflect either my own feelings or those of my company!

Accordingly we are severing all business ties with Mr zumbo and any of his companies effective immediately and will make a formal release tomorrow to this effect.

We appreciate the passionate support of our right to bear arm arms by all in the shooting sports.

Sincerely

Tommy millner
    CEO"
    http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....hreadid=658706
    Last edited by PA Rifleman; February 19th, 2007 at 01:21 AM. Reason: source link

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    I thought it would be tomorrow morning before we would see this. Foolish thinking on my part.

Remington is distancing themselves. Again, this is no surprise. It will be interesting to read their official press release.

The damage is done. It did not happen in the school yard and it cannot be taken back. Jim Zumbo was in Condition Brown when he wrote his blog.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    That is a myspace and not the brady center website, I doubt this is more then a person who supports the brady campaigh. in the profile it is listed a s 27 male...
    http://www.bradycampaign.org/bradyre...dex.php#story2

It's an official profile.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by TRB View Post
    As much as I detest an ad hominem argument, it is difficult to let this slide by without comment.

There are some phrases in his apology smack of insincerity. For instance:

The people I love most... translation: The people who buy the magazine and watch the show. The people who pay the mortgage. Let's not forget Remington, either. The people who pay for the advertising in the magazine.

I never intended... translation: Since I've been to so many conventions and done so many things I am an expert. This is an appeal to authority. It is a logical fallacy and believing it is to be taken in by a confidence man.

What really bothers me... translation: I'm a bigger patriot than you are. How dare you say otherwise.

When I started... translation: I better pull my fat out of the fire before I get fired.

Believe it or not, I'm your best friend... translation: We're from the government, we're here to help? I don't know about you but the last time someone told me they were my friend cost me dearly.

In fairness to Jim Zumbo, although I can find no reason or desire to be fair to him, he may have had a short explosion of his brain gases. That happens to everyone. But his attempts to place himself above the rest of us (Ted and I) negates any good that may come from his retraction.

Does he really mean Ted Nugent? Or does he mean the other Ted? The damage is done. Nothing he says after this can stop the Brady Center or anyone else from quoting him.

Now I'm kicking myself. Here is the first reply to the Brady blog when informed of Zumbo's retraction:

"His statement is obviously a forced and insincere retraction brought about by the financial pressure of the Gun Lobby. One only needs to observe the comments on his apology blog post to see how most gun owners do not agree with it."

My resentment to his retraction can potentially fuel their fires. Free speech is never really free, is it?

Yours in frustration

TRB

(Lebanon County)

Awwww, no more free Coyote hunts, or goodies from Remington. Poor Jim. He'll be OK though, I'm sure there are plenty of Fudds out there still hanging on his every word.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast