Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Red face project empty pocket

well,I want to share this with you guys,is like everybody say,a thread without pics is worthless,as soon as I can grab a hold of a digital camera I will post photos,anyway,it began like 4 years ago when I grab a Mauser 98 bent bolt action in a gun show in Allentown for 25.00 bucks a Sunday closing,,a year later I bid and win a .308 Adams & Bennet barrel for 49.99,two weeks ago I began to think about it and check e bay,bid and won a Mauser 98 wood stock kind of tactical carved(looks like a Mc Millan)lol..with kind of a black with grain plastic paint for $37.50 bucks and found Mauser 98 Redfield mounts for 4.99(e bay too),and at last,yesterday bid and won,a 6x24x42 Mil-Dot reticle Tasco-Bushnell scope with sunshade and target turrets for 40.00 bucks brand new ,I know,cheap glass,but is (empty pocket project)later I can switch the Zeiss with my AR (the only really expensive glass in my grasp) and I have a harris bipod,sling and uncle mikes swivels,well so far I have spend a little less than$150.00 bucks in this,I'm gonna JB bed the stock and,I will spend some buckaroos drilling and tapping the action for the glass and have to headspace the barrel,after that I'm gonna give a decent Krylon-tactical homemade pattern desert camo to the whole rifle and take it to the range to see how it does at 100 yds. too soon, the guy is still on parts in my room,but soon I will get a digital camera before take the action and barrel to the gunsmith and show you guys the soon (bastardized empty pocket Mauser 98 sniper rifle) the rascal..LOL,sorry I just want to share,pics will follow as soon as I get camera,my only hope is not to spend more than what I spend in the whole rifle doing the headspacing and the tap and drill,let's see what develops here......
    Last edited by glockguy68; August 29th, 2008 at 01:33 AM.
    "one loves to possess arms, tho they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to George Washington 6/19/1796glockguy68...shoot safe...NRA member...US infidel...

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: project empty pocket

Sweet dude! My hunting rifle is a poor mans mauser I got for $65 bucks. I got it chopped, tapped, and the bolt bent. Slapped a cheap seimmens scope on top and took 4 deer with it so far. It may not be a long range tack driver but at 150 yards and under I have never failed to make a good clean kill.

Most of the time in PA my shots are under 75 yards.

(Berks County)

Default Re: project empty pocket

You're just a gun tease! I need pictures! LOL

Sounds like a nice project. Should look sweet once it's all finished.

(Pike County)

Talking Re: project empty pocket

HEY GUYS JUST AN UPDATE,I WAS BY THE SHORE YESTERDAY AND TODAY AND I FOUND A GUNSMITH IN A TOWN CALLED PATERSON IN THE REPUBLIC OF NURF JERSEY AND I STOP AND CHECK HIM OUT AND HE IS GONNA TAPPED AND DRILL MY ACTION FOR A GLASS,HE WILL PUT WEAVER BASES AND HEADSPACE THE BARREL ALL FOR $125.00 ,DAANG AND I SAW A COUPLE OF HIS JOBS IN AREA AND THE GUY WORKS PRETTY NICE,HE HAD TWO MAUSERS FOR THE SAME A MOSIN AND ONE REMY AND COUPLE OF HANDGUNS WORKING ON THEM,HE GOT SO LITTLE FOR SALE BUT HE WORKS GOOD AND HAS AN INDOOR RANGE,ALL THAT IN THE MIDDLE OF THAT TOWN,BUT,WHAT THE HECK,I WORK IN JERSEY,NEXT WEEK PROJECT EMPTY POCKET WILL BEGAN TO MOVE GEARS,MAN,I GOT TO GET A CAMERA OR SOME PEOPLE HERE ARE GONNA BAN ME,WILL KEEP YOU POSTED FELLAS,THE PROJECT IS GONNA BE LESS THAN $300.00 WITH CAMO AND ALL,(I HAD THE HARRIS BIPOD,SLING ,SUNSHADE AND BUTLER CREEK SCOPE COVERS),NOW I HAVE TO BEGIN TO SHAPE THE TEMPLATES FOR THE DESERT CAMO IN SOFT CARDBOARD,AND GET SOME TAN AND BROWN KRYLON PAINT AND WAIT FOR THE FRANKIE TO COME OUT ...........
    Last edited by glockguy68; August 30th, 2008 at 09:45 PM.
    "one loves to possess arms, tho they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to George Washington 6/19/1796glockguy68...shoot safe...NRA member...US infidel...

(Pike County)

Talking Re: project empty pocket

last update,spoke with george at dunkelbergers in east stroudsburg,he is the gunsmith of the store,he will headspace barrel for $30,tap and drill for scope $17 per hole =$68 with mounts and rings and the best at all,he will sporterized my bolt for $17 dollars,even tough with my redfield bases and rings for mauser the bolt clear the scope in factory full bent original bolt,I put the rings + bases in the reciever and tape them,only to check clearance and the bolt opens goes back and forward and goes clear as water,but for 17 bucks will add more looks to the "sniper rifle" empty pocket project,then we're speaking that I will be able to put it together like with $260.00 buckaroos at the most,well,now to see if my brother in law lend me his camera before take it to george.......
    Last edited by glockguy68; September 6th, 2008 at 11:56 PM.