Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Forest County)

Default Do Pennsylvania State Police have database of CCW holders for traffic stops.

I just saw this posted on another gun forum. I have never heard of this. Does anybody here have any insight to the veracity of this information?

http://bulletsfirst.net/2016/10/03/s...ating-the-law/

Default Re: Do Pennsylvania State Police have database of CCW holders for traffic stops.

Yes, and it has been discussed here in a couple of threads. The database always existed, but had to be queried seperately. Now it comes back when your drivers liscense is queried, which is probably about 99% of traffic stops.

Default Re: Do Pennsylvania State Police have database of CCW holders for traffic stops.

I am curious how this might complicate declining to answer whether there is a gun in the car during a traffic stop. Might they now be able to claim that, knowing the driver of the vehicle holds a LTCF, the driver was evasive during questioning as to whether a gun was present, allowing them to escalate the nature of the stop?
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by staylo View Post
    I am curious how this might complicate declining to answer whether there is a gun in the car during a traffic stop. Might they now be able to claim that, knowing the driver of the vehicle holds a LTCF, the driver was evasive during questioning as to whether a gun was present, allowing them to escalate the nature of the stop?
    That is what is going to make this a very interesting issue in the next few months/years. I expect a whole bunch more folks are going to end up proned out when they pull the whole "I dont have anything illegal in my car" line, and im also pretty sure there are going to be a whole bunch more "Do you have a firearm in the vehicle" questions on the side of the road.

Somehow I have avioded that question to date despite being pulled over with some regularity. I fear those days are now behind us. I just hope whoever is on the shitty end of that stick has enough coin to defend it for the long haul.

(Berks County)

Now the big question is,,,Are they sharing this information with other states?
    They probably are!
    I read somewhere else or maybe here that was an issue especially for states that don't recognize our LTCF, Maryland and Jersey come to mind of course and are they now going to be arbitrarily checking PA license plates?

(Philadelphia County)

I don't believe the LTCF info would be returned on a Vehicle Registration lookup.

(Lackawanna County)

Guess again, Carson. Don't even have to ask for it...front and center in blinking freaking red on the in car terminal. In this county, where many cars don't have the box, the dispatcher tells them right along with the 28/29 info. Need to cops sent to your house for something (I had a car vandalized)...dispatcher told them there were 3 LTCFs in the house.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
    Guess again, Carson. Don't even have to ask for it...front and center in blinking freaking red on the in car terminal. In this county, where many cars don't have the box, the dispatcher tells them right along with the 28/29 info. Need to cops sent to your house for something (I had a car vandalized)...dispatcher told them there were 3 LTCFs in the house.
    I would like to know what information was entered to get the response you are talking about.

Best I understand, LTCF files are not linked to BMV info. However, a BMV inquiry (for a DL, not for vehicle info) may also check Protection Order Files and LTCF files.

(Forest County)

Thanks for the replies. Did not know this had been already covered/discussed on PAFAOA. I thought that it was illegal for PA SP to maintain a database of LTCFs. Guess I am going to have to start being more diligent on this site.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by robertceckerjr View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Did not know this had been already covered/discussed on PAFAOA. I thought that it was illegal for PA SP to maintain a database of LTCFs. Guess I am going to have to start being more diligent on this site.
    Nope. In fact, a provision made in the past 10yrs was made into law fully sanctioning such to allow LEO's not only from PA but from other states to verify if a LTCF was valid. ...it was necessary to have such to gain the reciprocity agreements with a few states.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast