Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Do Pennsylvania State Police have database of CCW holders for traffic stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Our twp had an officer who got into one gun fight too many. Having previously reported being shot at by a subject who evaded capture on three occasions, the fourth time he was actually shot. On the right side, slightly rear, just under the edge of his vest.

Hospitalized for a contact wound which did not fit his description of the shooting (distance alleged), he ultimately fessed up and was allowed to resign. He was very lucky. He thought he was shooting into his vest. All the recruiting investigations and psych testing failed to reveal his desire to be a hero.
    How often does that happen? How often to criminals with past criminal records commit another crime, and/or do violent stuff?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Do Pennsylvania State Police have database of CCW holders for traffic stops.

The officer had no past record. I don't understand the question.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    The officer had no past record. I don't understand the question.
    Q. How often do vetted police officers commit heinous crimes? A. NOT OFTEN

Q. How often do criminals with criminal records, often violent, commit heinous crimes? A. Much more than above.

OK?

(Bucks County)

I guess...

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Interesting that police get nervous when they encounter someone that has passed an extensive background check, and has a squeaky clean record.
    If you came up as LEO/dispatcher I bet they aren't nervous at all. Firefighter, barely nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    So you are saying that people who have an LTCF can never run afoul of the law ?
    Apparently, statistically, while police officers commit a minuscule percentage of crime per capita, concealed carry permit holders commit even fewer crimes, per capita, than their fellow sworn citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    No, but the probability of a person with a valid LTCF of committing a crime is much lower than someone without. I am sure you know recidivism is a HUGE problem. Many if not most criminals have prior records. Wouldn't it be a little better dealing with someone you know doesn't have a past criminal history during a traffic stop or similar?
    And, while all officers carry on duty, and train with those arms, how many don't carry, or, would choose not to carry off duty if not required? CCWs/LTCFs make a conscious decision to carry, pay for everything without LEO discounts, including training, and face far greater repercussions (until very recently) if they have to use their sidearm, without backup, union reps, defense funds or an almost automatic presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

Police officers pass an extensive background check, a physical and psych test also, then receive firearms training and still manage to F*%# up.
    If your department wants to issue credentials to all civilians who can pass the above, I'm sure you'd get a lot of folks who'd be happy to trade the paperwork for the free training.

And, while most large departments provide significant initial training, even they often don't require much for yearly qualification and there are lots of LEOs out there whose training is sub-par.

The problem is you don't know how the officer is going to react. Are they going to overreact, disarm you, handcuff you and put you in the back of the police car or are they going to say "just keep your gun where it is and I'll do the same and you will be on your way in a few minutes". I'll admit that the former is a major problem.
    Thank you for this... and I certainly don't want to seem 'anti-LEO' or 'anti-Carson', but I don't think LEOs should be allowed to disarm licensed carriers 'for their safety' unless their safety is clearly in question.

I'm proud to say I've trained with lots of LEOs who were glad there were conscientious armed citizens out there... especially back when I could still out shoot most of them.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by robertceckerjr View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Did not know this had been already covered/discussed on PAFAOA. I thought that it was illegal for PA SP to maintain a database of LTCFs. Guess I am going to have to start being more diligent on this site.
    It's also illegal to look up your gun in a "registry". Isn't it?

(Bucks County)

That might be a legal approach worth looking into. Court said incomplete record of sales does not violate the Commonwealth constitution forbidding registration. Obviously, when a an officer or investigator queries the sales records to ascertain ownership, the very act in that context renders the records a de facto registration.

(Chester County)

They call it in to the nearest Sheriff's office to verify.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 17CulpeperMM76 View Post
    They call it in to the nearest Sheriff's office to verify.
    This is an old thread, so things have changed. Many counties (including Montgomery, where I live, now have that information available on the police MDT, as well as the dispatchers having access to the databases). This is no longer speculation, as actual police have verified the MDT accessibility of LTCF status, and I myself have personally heard (over the scanner) of dispatchers telling cops to "be advised, he has a license to carry".

(Bucks County)

They absolutely do. I got pulled over for an expired reg and the first question asked was "are you carrying tonight?"
    To disarm the people...[i]s the most effectual way to enslave them."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast