Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Do Pennsylvania State Police have database of CCW holders for traffic stops.

Quote Originally Posted by robertceckerjr View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Did not know this had been already covered/discussed on PAFAOA. I thought that it was illegal for PA SP to maintain a database of LTCFs. Guess I am going to have to start being more diligent on this site.
    Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Nope. In fact, a provision made in the past 10yrs was made into law fully sanctioning such to allow LEO's not only from PA but from other states to verify if a LTCF was valid. ...it was necessary to have such to gain the reciprocity agreements with a few states.
    What am I missing here ? If the PSP didn't maintain a database of PA LTCFs, how could a LTCF (that was legally required to be shown) be confirmed as valid?

Default Re: Do Pennsylvania State Police have database of CCW holders for traffic stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    What am I missing here ? If the PSP didn't maintain a database of PA LTCFs, how could a LTCF (that was legally required to be shown) be confirmed as valid?
    The same way they can verify ownership of a handgun if they can't maintain a database of handgun ownership.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Nope. In fact, a provision made in the past 10yrs was made into law fully sanctioning such to allow LEO's not only from PA but from other states to verify if a LTCF was valid. ...it was necessary to have such to gain the reciprocity agreements with a few states.
    We need to ensure legislatively that the LTCF database can only be used to prove validity not show if someone has one upon officer request for no reason to think you have one or not.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Montgomery County)

I just think its the people without LTCFs that law enforcement needs to worry about...

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I just think its the people without LTCFs that law enforcement needs to worry about...

(Chester County)

Interesting that police get nervous when they encounter someone that has passed an extensive background check, and has a squeaky clean record.
    Last edited by Pilot321; October 13th, 2016 at 10:44 AM.

(Bucks County)

My brain tells me that linear logic dictates delineation between possibly and probably can be influenced by circumstances. A person who takes the time and effort to obtain a LTCF aka pistol permit may be exercising the privilege he/she worked and paid for. In other words, there is reason to think a person with LTCF may be armed. Outside the ivory towers of high courts, there is also reason to think a gang-banger may be armed, and that disarming armed gang-bangers will lower the murder rate and make things safer for the general population.

(Jefferson County)

You aren't missing anything.

Before this computerized LTCF issuance the LTCF was a multi-form instrument. The sheriff kept a copy, a copy was sent to the PSP, and the licensee was given a copy.

The PSP have ALWAYS maintained some form of "database" of the licenses for validity determinations statewide, since it is a statewide license. .....the Philly PD would have a valid reason to verify if a license from Mercer County was legal.

Then relatively recently an Act was passed forcing the PSP to provide access via phone(and possibly internet) to all LEO agencies, especially from other states. This was needed to get reciprocity with Virginia(and a couple other states).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lackawanna County)

I would like to know what information was entered to get the response you are talking about.

Best I understand, LTCF files are not linked to BMV info. However, a BMV inquiry (for a DL, not for vehicle info) may also check Protection Order Files and LTCF files.
    They run a plate or DL here, it is on both the dispatcher's screen and on the in car terminal screen...automatically. Looks like the databases might be linked by address or name and address, but definitely don't take any extra request on either the car or the comm center side.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Philadelphia County)

So you are saying that people who have an LTCF can never run afoul of the law ?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast