Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Good cheap .308/762

I've been loving my Century C308 lately but it ain't cheap to shoot. Seems to me you used to be able to get some surplus ammo around $6 a box years ago, south african or some such. With the steel russian stuff going $9-10 a box, anybody have a good alternative? BTW even the cheapest russian stuff has been shooting pretty good out of this rifle. I've run 40 silver bear, 80 brown bear and 40 tula using four different surplus G3 mags in two range trips without any issues and while not impressive accuracy I hit every steel I shot at at 200 yards except missed maybe 10% on the 6" plate. Paper groups at 200 yards today were easily within 2 - 3 MOA (approx. 4 - 6") I think I just got excited shooting at the steel because the feedback is so great (PING!)

I should use up a box of good ammo and really shoot this thing for groups one of these days too...

Back on the subject, any feedback on good cheap 308?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Good cheap .308/762

Quote Originally Posted by IrocGuns View Post
    I've been loving my Century C308 lately but it ain't cheap to shoot. Seems to me you used to be able to get some surplus ammo around $6 a box years ago, south african or some such. With the steel russian stuff going $9-10 a box, anybody have a good alternative? BTW even the cheapest russian stuff has been shooting pretty good out of this rifle. I've run 40 silver bear, 80 brown bear and 40 tula using four different surplus G3 mags in two range trips without any issues and while not impressive accuracy I hit every steel I shot at at 200 yards except missed maybe 10% on the 6" plate. Paper groups at 200 yards today were easily within 2 - 3 MOA (approx. 4 - 6") I think I just got excited shooting at the steel because the feedback is so great (PING!)

I should use up a box of good ammo and really shoot this thing for groups one of these days too...

Back on the subject, any feedback on good cheap 308?
    Here's a link to "AmmoSeek.com" for 7.62x51: http://ammoseek.com/ammo/308-winchester

Just play around with it for other calibers you may be interested in if you don't already reload.

Sadly, the days of $42 Australian Battle-packs are probably gone-well at least until honest folks trade the battle-pack for dinner.

If you're not already a reloader, would have been nice for you to take up the hobby in 2001 or 2008 when component prices were less expensive.

Good shooting BTW and glad you went to the range. Nothing like feedback but you gotta get used to the speed of sound which is far less perky than the speed of your round.
    - bamboomaster

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Good cheap .308/762

1. Buy in bulk.
    2. Start reloading. I reload 7.62 NATO cases with 147g FMJ bullets for around 30 cents a round.
    3. Get the German Army surplus G3 training bolt for $300 and buy a couple of thousand rounds of the blue training ammo. Shoots a plastic bullet at 3500 FPS out to 100 yards. Not a toy.
    4. If you want brass cased ammo, the Hirtenberger Austrian Army surplus ammo from 1975-1980 is on the market. Very nice ammo with sealed primers. Good value for the $.