Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Best affordable trap/clay o/u

Looking to get into trap and sporting clays more and would like to get an over/under that i can eventually use to do some hunting with (the main reason I'm not looking for a. Semi auto).

Over at trap shooters the same rhetoric is given.... If I can't spend 1400 on a used citori xt, it's not worth it to buy something (which irks me to no end).

I'm looking for something in the 600 range. I would love to be able to drop 1500 on a shotgun but it's not in my budget for the foreseeable future. They cant be serious that it's not even worth getting into the sport at that price, can they?

Mainly wanted to hear opinions about the silver reserve II, cz, condor competition, etc.

Thanks!

(York County)

Default Re: Best affordable trap/clay o/u

I shoot my Stoeger condor a few times a year in charity events. I took it out yesterday to a fundraiser and one of the other guys liked the way it handled, so I shared it for the last 14 stations. I know it won't eat 12,000 rounds a year, but for me, at my skill level, and at $300, I don't complain!
    Last edited by Jhaydeno; October 1st, 2016 at 03:03 PM.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1990dtgl98 View Post
    Over at trap shooters the same rhetoric is given.... If I can't spend 1400 on a used citori xt, it's not worth it to buy something (which irks me to no end).
    I realize you're inquiring about over-unders; however, there are many at my club who shoot trap quite well with a Remington 870, which is in your budget and also great for hunting. I'm not a trap expert, but I notice many guys out performing those with the 'coveted' Brownings.

(Lycoming County)

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...unds?a=1809018

One of the lgs I frequent stocks these as a budget trap gun. The one I handled seemed very well built. He's been recommending them and is a very big trap/skeet guy. For the money he claims they are the best budget option out there. I'm not really a trap shooter, but I'd take his word for it.

(Armstrong County)

Stoeger

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    Stoeger
    Yup, in that range you looking at a Stoeger.

They are decent guns. IIRC they make a trap model with trap/ sporting clay chokes.

Keep in mind the primary difference (besides individual adjustment) is the round count the better models can withstand.
    If you end up dropping 10k rounds through it every year, which may sound like a lot but it's not, a Browning is going to serve you much better. Then skies the limit past there.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1990dtgl98 View Post
    that i can eventually use to do some hunting with (the main reason I'm not looking for a. Semi auto).
    You can hunt just fine with a semi auto shotgun. The only time you're not allowed one is for big game (except for special regulations areas).

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...unds?a=1809018

One of the lgs I frequent stocks these as a budget trap gun. The one I handled seemed very well built. He's been recommending them and is a very big trap/skeet guy. For the money he claims they are the best budget option out there. I'm not really a trap shooter, but I'd take his word for it.
    That's a really good-looking gun for the price!
    - bamboomaster

(Bucks County)

While out of your budget a little, I have the Franchi Instinct L. I've looked at almost all the o/u's under 1k. I had a Remington Spartan that was better than most of the budget guns I handled, but I wanted something a little nicer, and wanted an Italian gun. I spent right at 1k for it, but it shoots very well for me, and I wouldn't hesitate to take it out in the field. At right around 7lbs, it's a little light for a dedicated clays gun, but not too heavy to carry in the field all day. Another option to look at would be the CZ Canvasback gold, or the earlier models. More of a field gun, but still a solidly built gun. Should be able to find lightly used models in your price range.

While A lot of guys will poo poo A Stoeger, I can tell you that for the price range you have and the bang for the buck. The Stoeger Condor competition will be A good gun for you. I have one that ive been shooting for 3 years for Trap and clays. The only issue I have had with it was the light strike problem. Which is A real easy fix. Just loosen the firing pins 1/2 turn each as soon as you get it.
    It has an adjustable comb and comes with 6 extended chokes and 2 flush chokes.
    Will it handle the rounds the 1500.00 guns will probably not. But they wont handle the rounds A 3000.00 gun will. and so on.
    I only use mine for Sporting Clays now as I have moved to A Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic for trap.
    Last week I shot 7 rounds of clays 100 shots each and my lowest score was A 85.
    Plus it comes with A 5 year warranty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast