Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coated bullets

Default Coated bullets

9MM hand loading;

Been thinking of trying the coated lead bullets for some time now. Have a fair supply of plated on hand, but think they might become tough to get in a month or so.

Tried some coated samples from badman bullets. Fed/cycled well, no noticeable difference in accuracy.

Ordered 1000 each from Blue Bullets and Bayou Bullets.

Any thoughts +/- on coateds?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Coated bullets

Coated good. Cheapercand lore accurate for me.

(Clarion County)

Give a shout out to DucatiRon. He's a member here in the business of cast and coated bullets. http://www.steelvalleycasting.com/home.html
    Some load data on his site you may want to check out. Probably forgot more than most know about coated bullets. Makes a quality product from what I've seen.
    Not affiliated with him but enjoy his postings.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Dauphin County)

Steel Valley is a good PA co. I have purchased from Bayou also and they are good also. Coated is in my opinion 100% better because there is WAY less smoke and Way less mess when cleaning the gun. I reload with Unique and cast bullets. The old style lube is smoky and dirty, the coated bullets are great. I like plated also, but for the price I'll shoot hard cast coated. Coated will shoot similar to your plated bullets.
    Last edited by PAwhitetailbowhunter; October 7th, 2016 at 06:21 AM.

(Dauphin County)

Thumbs up Re: Coated bullets

1000's of coated cast lead bullets from Bayou Bullets (will have to try Steel Valley now that I know about them) down the throat of my Glock 42.

Cast lead in a Glock?!?

Oh my!

They work great. I didn't think up the idea, I read about a ISPC competitor that used coated cast lead out of his comp Glock by the truckload. He never had a problem with them, so I decided to try them. Coated cast lead is far cheaper than jacketed and will also give a slightly higher velocity.

Another plus is that red, green, blue, and black bullets are cool looking, too.

(Bucks County)

I use Roger's Better Bullets PC Bullets. Made by Roger at King Shooters in King of Prussia, PA. Always been a big supporter of the shooting sports. the #purplepapereaters are the only bullets I shoot now.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Cumberland County)

Check out the castboolits forum. They've been talking about this for a couple of years.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
    Look under the sub-forum "Coatings and Alternatives"

They're pushing cast boolit velocities almost to the point of copper jacketed bullets with no leading and good accuracy.

I have done it with success in 9mm using Harbor Freight red powder coating media and what the guys at castboolits call the "shake and bake" method.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Washington County)

I've been shooting Blue Bullets through my Glock 17 factory barrel in USPSA. Have almost 800 down the barrel. No issues. Use code "TRIANGLE" to save 5%, courtesy of the Triangle Tactical podcast.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Beaver County)

That's for the shout out and reviews guys.

Didn't see this thread the first time around. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Would be more than happy to send you out a sample too.

If your close to Kings pick up some of his bullets. He makes good stuff. That will at least save you the frieght com buying them from me. Or just give me all you money .

I strive to make a good product and take my bullet casting seriously. I only use certified content lead bought from a major alloy plant in the U.S. No back yard bubba lead here.

Coated bullets by far are better than a traditional lubed cast bullet. We shot thousands through Glocks and suppressors. They are clean and not harmful to either.

A gain if you have any questions let me know and I have some load data on my website. And have fun shooting stuff.

If someone can rep PAwhitetail for me. Must spread rep blah blah blah.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Dauphin County)

Ron- I'll be sending an order your way soon. I need more 158 grain .38... The reason I still use Bayou is I got a SWEET 741 Dan Wesson, and I need .41 mag bullets, Plan on hunting with that bad boy. Not sure if you have a .41 mag but I know you are a DW fan and there is a 10" 741 on GB right now. 41 MAG is THE STUFF!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast