Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Any experience with Mech Tech Systems uppers?

I'm intrigued by the flexibility of Mech Tech Systems uppers, esp. for Glocks. Does anyone have experience with these? How reliable are they?

They sound like a viable option for a "truck gun". I don't see any problem with keeping one of these uppers handy in the back of my truck cab but if anyone knows of any provision of PA gun laws this violates, please speak up.

Thanks.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Any experience with Mech Tech Systems uppers?

I've had a MechTech for Glock 19 over a year. Very simple, accurate, and fun. I handload, so I use relatively slow pistol powder (Power Pistol) to get the benefit of the longer barrel. Using 115g bullets that chron 1250 fps in a 5" PPQ, I get 1500 fps in the MechTech with well under max loads. Velocity at 50 yards exceeds muzzle velocity from the pistol. Accuracy with a red dot sight is about 1.5" at 50 yards with good bullets like Hornady XTPs, around 2" with plated bullets.

The only problem I had was FTE with weak target handloads when I first used the upper. All factory ammo and mid to high power handoads function well.

It uses the Glock "lower" and magazines. Removing or attaching the lower takes about 15 seconds.

It is considered an accessory, so it ships to your home.

I don't know why everyone doesn't have one.

(Northampton County)

I have a MechTech G19 upper as well. It is fun to shoot and quite accurate at 50 yards. If you carry your 19, you can keep the upper in the trunk as an oh-sh*t tool if the world ends. I have a Burris Fastfire on it and the whole package is very reliable. It is pretty much a PITA to take apart and clean properly though.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    It is pretty much a PITA to take apart and clean properly though.
    The folks at MechTech don't recommend disassembly to clean the upper. I read some forum posts and found the easiest way is to remove your lower, then just spray the bolt and all exposed action parts with Gun Scrubber. Wipe it off, let it dry, then lube the bolt with a few drops of oil, not unlike an AR. For the barrel, an occasional cleaning with an Otis cable based cleaning kit (https://www.amazon.com/Otis-Tactical.../dp/B0000C52A5). It cleans from the breech an is the same kit I use for lever actions or a 10/22.

(Chester County)

Gotta spread rep frankski, so here's your acknowledgement, thanks for the info.