Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Default my first time cc-ing in public

I did that today, worst that happened was the mag release got hit, more than likley from the seat belt when I was in the truck. I felt pretty stupid over that! But at least I didn't find out by having the mag fall out and onto the floor of a store. Imagine it happening at the Rite Aid in front of some really elderly people- I surely wouldn't want to cause a heart attack or something. That is of course if they could even see what fell. And I'd pick it up lickedy split and stuff it into a pocket, and when done whatever I was doing in the store, go back to the truck and stealthily put it back in the gun.

Eeeeek, any suggestions on keeping this from happening again?

Otherwise I went to the place I go to eat alot in Shrewsbury, then the Rite Aid, then Goodwill store, to Freedom Armory to get more hp's, then back to Rite Aid ( was getting a refill, first time in they hadn't filled it yet, so I had to go back later). I felt most comfy at the gun store LOL- good place to pop the CC cherry! They had a new employee, this lady, really nice, but didn't know alot about guns. I wish I had known they had a job opening, I would have applied if it was a part time position. But anyway, it was sure nice to have a nice lady waiting on me in there, being I am female. The next best would have been some hot younger guy who is single LOL

And yeah I was nervous, akin to the first day back to school sort of feeling I guess.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Adams County)

Default Re: my first time cc-ing in public

Sounds like a good day. As far as the mag release, maybe shift holster position up or back an inch. I had that happen with a shoulder holster one time. Last time that I wore that holster.

I had a spare mag fall out of a pocket one time, too. I was so hungover that I didn't realize it until the guy sitting next to me handed it back.

I know that if there was a hot girl working at a gun shop, I'd probably drop most of my money there just so I could flirt with her. Better luck next time...

(Union County)

Thumbs up Re: my first time cc-ing in public

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    I did that today, worst that happened was the mag release got hit, more than likley from the seat belt when I was in the truck. I felt pretty stupid over that! But at least I didn't find out by having the mag fall out and onto the floor of a store. Imagine it happening at the Rite Aid in front of some really elderly people- I surely wouldn't want to cause a heart attack or something. That is of course if they could even see what fell. And I'd pick it up lickedy split and stuff it into a pocket, and when done whatever I was doing in the store, go back to the truck and stealthily put it back in the gun.

Eeeeek, any suggestions on keeping this from happening again?

Otherwise I went to the place I go to eat alot in Shrewsbury, then the Rite Aid, then Goodwill store, to Freedom Armory to get more hp's, then back to Rite Aid ( was getting a refill, first time in they hadn't filled it yet, so I had to go back later). I felt most comfy at the gun store LOL- good place to pop the CC cherry! They had a new employee, this lady, really nice, but didn't know alot about guns. I wish I had known they had a job opening, I would have applied if it was a part time position. But anyway, it was sure nice to have a nice lady waiting on me in there, being I am female. The next best would have been some hot younger guy who is single LOL

And yeah I was nervous, akin to the first day back to school sort of feeling I guess.
    Glad to hear your experience went well. If you would, please specify what position, holster, make & model you were carrying(I would ASSume an SA XD .40 s&w correct?) so people can give you some input or theories on your accidental mag release. I prefer to OC when in the vehicle as my piece fits like a glove between the two sections of seatbelt and is "at the ready" if the need to unholster arose. I can't think of anything worse than having a seatbelt restricting/limiting my access. Heck, just sitting in the seat causes my shirt to make drawing difficult(and I am in very good shape to say the least...) when CCing OWB.
    What were you nervous about? Did you have an olfactory flashback to the pristine smell of freshly waxed institutional floors or something? lol Keep doing it, you'll only become more comfortable w/ practice. I am still waiting to pop my cc wally world cherry as my fashion choices seem to print very easily(or I am overly self-concious about it).
    and as a former sporting goods store clerk, nothing hotter than the armed ladies who wanna see what you're packing lol!

(Allegheny County)

Glad to heat all went well. It should, correct?

But, as aforementioned, please reference your carry choice... It'd help determine why you experienced that uncommanded mag drop.

cheers

I have a don hume OWB that I got when I bought the gun, from the guy who sold me the gun ( private sale, but done at an FFL's). XD9sc, and worn about 3:00 or so.

Why was I nervous? Well when you have been surrounded by Marylandnannystateitis all your life, it is very hard to shake! I mean for someone who grew up in a nanny state, it is hard and bad enough to just own a gun, but to carry it? ZOMG!
    LOL, I am a woman...

it gets easier as time goes by

ive moved away from subcompacts as carry guns in the summer they are still bulky so now i summer carry either my seecamp or my rohrbaugh R9 they have mag catches instead of a mag release button so no need to worry about dropping mags

for my subcompact i use a desantis IWB cozy partner

http://www.desantisholster.com/028.html

(Montgomery County)

CC is no big deal... no one should notice.

Wait until you OC

That's when you'll sweat...

I have a XD 9mm SC.

I've OC'ed so much I now CC in Philly with a serpa and my shirt untucked.

I'm 145lbs at 6'2" so I look like I have conjoined myslexia twin syndrome.

Anyone that looks knows.

If you want deep cover, go with a smart carry holster.

As a woman if you wear tight clothes, well it wouldn't help.

However, If you're wearing a skirt no one could ever tell..

For guys it looks like you actually have a package...

I'm joking of course, when you wear tight pants, it would be useless.

I spent a third of my life living in MD and a third in NY, I know exactly how you felt.

PA rocks!
    Last edited by whoshisface; August 28th, 2008 at 03:47 AM.

I can actually hide the gun pretty well with just a loose t-shirt, but being the weather has been cooler the last 2 days, why not wear the vest too? I was tempted to drape the shirt around the holster like OC style and use the vest as the only cover, but the wind keeps blowing the vest open LOL, I feel that is like flashing the gun at people. I mean either CC or OC, not 50/50!

Now as I lose weight and belly/hip girth, I will just have to see if I start to print more with just the t-shirts. But I am not going to worry till I get there- will be months- if I can keep this regimen up LOL! And cold weather is around the corner, so long sleave flanels over t's, and jackets will be normal attire and hide even full size guns well. I figure I have till may.

I will leave the OC for when I am with other OCers, I just am too wimpy ( female? LOL) to OC solo.

Oh yeah, the mag didn't get popped out today, I was very careful putting the seatbelt on, and when its on the gun is not resting against it. It must have happened yesterday when I was belting up and fiddling around, not paying attention to what was hitting what.
    Last edited by XD40coyote; August 28th, 2008 at 05:42 PM.
    LOL, I am a woman...