Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Governors Pardon,

Well, it's finally filed with the state. I don't know if anyone remembers, but I was charged with gun possession back in 1982 in Philadelphia. I told the police I had a hand gun in my truck when it got towed. I admitted guilt immediately, because I did not know it was a crime to carry a hand gun in a vehicle without a permit. Back then, it was a five day waiting period to buy. I was ignorant of the law. Anyway, for years after that I had a Pennsylvania permit to carry a gun, and legally bought many guns through my FFL. I then went to buy a CZ .17 HMR when I got stopped, and after a couple weeks, I was informed I was federally prohibited! I was scared to death about this. I immediately turned in my carry permit, and sold every gun I owned, through my FFL. I then began the process to get a governors pardon. Finally, my lawyer filed the necessary forms. Anyone else ever need to do this to get back the right to own guns, or even be around them. I no longer go to the pocono with friends, and stay with them while they go hunting, and I go fishing. ( I don't hunt ) currently, I'm 60 years old. I could wait 10 years and apply at 70, but it sort of makes me feel like a criminal which I'm not. I never knew I had a record, apparently, neither did they until this April when I tried to buy my 20th gun.
    I really don't see myself begging them either. I'm not a jerk, I just never was a criminal, so reading the process I have to go through....interviews, profiles, financial situation, etc.....assumes you committed a major lapse in judgement and got caught. Have I rehabilitated myself? From what! Would be my question. I made a mistake, I was ignorant, I admit that. I also told them the gun was in my truck, fearful the tow truck driver found it and took it. I'm not broke either, like they assume. The questions treat me like I have no money, and no prospects. I'm a millionaire a few times over. In fact, I'm retired, with plenty of passive income. Does any thing matter to them, or am I now in a group of JO and I need to grovel to get a pardon? I'm not arrogant, don't get me wrong, it's just I didn't spend enough time in a jail cell to find God, and carry a bible. Anyone ever go through this process? Do they acknowledge receipt of my application, or do I just sit and wait.
    Not owning guns doesn't really bother me that much, but I'm not a criminal, never was, and never committed a crime in my mind anyway, despite this charge. I get it, it was wrong.........but that's a lot different to me than, I robbed a deli, now I want to be forgiven. I harmed no one but myself. Thanks,

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: Governors Pardon,

If you're "a millionaire a few times over" I would assume that you're reasonably intelligent. Accordingly, you sought out an attorney who is an expert in this area. Why are you asking a bunch of complete strangers on the internet, instead of the expert professional you're paying to handle this for you?

Ask most lawyers a question, know the answer you'll get? I need to research that, it's not my area of expertise. Plus, lawyers don't like answering questions directly. So, when it happens different, you can't say.......But you said! After all, they are lawyers, not judges, so it doesn't matter what they think really. I'm wondering who else went through this process. Thanks for your response.

Ask a divorce attorney a question, see if they know what will happen. Ask a defense attorney a question, see if they can tell you the result, ask a business attorney a business question in a dispute, see if he knows before a judge tells you. I get your point, but I've been in enough business to know this, its hard to say, until it's over. Thanks,
    Last edited by Bewildered; September 24th, 2016 at 03:24 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    If you're "a millionaire a few times over" I would assume that you're reasonably intelligent. Accordingly, you sought out an attorney who is an expert in this area. Why are you asking a bunch of complete strangers on the internet, instead of the expert professional you're paying to handle this for you?
    Great points,perhaps Bewildered just wanted to vent here.

No, I'm simply asking if anyone else ever did this. Did they make them grovel? Did they notify them they got their application? What was the process like. Sorry.

(Philadelphia County)

No need to apologize.I guessed wrong but even if you were posting just to vent I don't see where that would have been a big deal.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewildered View Post
    Ask most lawyers a question, know the answer you'll get? I need to research that, it's not my area of expertise. Plus, lawyers don't like answering questions directly. So, when it happens different, you can't say.......But you said! After all, they are lawyers, not judges, so it doesn't matter what they think really. I'm wondering who else went through this process. Thanks for your response.

Ask a divorce attorney a question, see if they know what will happen. Ask a defense attorney a question, see if they can tell you the result, ask a business attorney a business question in a dispute, see if he knows before a judge tells you. I get your point, but I've been in enough business to know this, its hard to say, until it's over. Thanks,
    My experience with GunLawyer was that he had a pretty good grasp on the process and he has been through it enough times that he could give you a good idea. His rates are reasonable. And while he can't guarantee the outcome, he should be able to give you a good idea of your chances based on your individual situation. Call him up and buy an hour of his time. It should answer most of your questions.

(Tioga County)

Best thing to do is some research into reputable lawyers that specialize in pardons and are familiar with such a process and secure their services to do it right the first time. Sad that this happened to you, but you'll have to use a professional to get this sorted out the right way. Pardons have been discussed on this forum before in recent years, I would do a search on here and see what has been said in the past.

(Beaver County)

My cynical self would say to make a sizable contribution to someone's reelection fund.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    My cynical self would say to make a sizable contribution to someone's reelection fund.
    If it were me I'd rather wait the 10 years...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast