Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Converting the Glock .40 S&W to 9mm.

Thinking about looking for a used G23 and setting it up to fire 9mm as well. I know there are a multitude of conversion barrels made for this and in most cases changing the extractor, ejector along with using G19 mags is a must.

My question is how reliable is it once completed? Range toy or reliable enough to carry if needed in its 9mm converted state?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Converting the Glock .40 S&W to 9mm.

I've never done that, but I would also recommend switching out the recoil rod assembly too.

I think youtube "torture/reliability tests" would be your best bet for research.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Chester County)

Mr Guns N Gear is pretty knowledgeable. Here...

"The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I've never done that, but I would also recommend switching out the recoil rod assembly too.

I think youtube "torture/reliability tests" would be your best bet for research.

Your correct the 9mm requires the lighter spring. I will check out the video I didn't know he had on on this.

(Lancaster County)

Do you ever plan on shooting it as a .40? By the time you spend the money on the conversion barrel/extractor/mags/etc., you will have more money in it than a used or new 17 or 19. If it is a factory gun, then you shouldnt have to worry if it is reliable or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockman24 View Post
    Do you ever plan on shooting it as a .40? By the time you spend the money on the conversion barrel/extractor/mags/etc., you will have more money in it than a used or new 17 or 19. Then you wont have to worry about if your gun is reliable or not.
    Yes I want the option of both calibers. During the last self inflicted panic 9mm was a real PITA to find for months but I could find the less popular .40S&W on the shelves in just about every Walmart within 25 miles of me.

I already have the mags and some of the smaller parts for other 9mm Glocks I have.

(Berks County)

Police trade g23 and wolf conversion barrel is not that expensive. Mine works fine without extractor or ejector change. Try just the barrel first, that's my recommendation. They all say for range only. Lawyer speak, I think. The advantage is you can shoot lead.

(Lancaster County)

sounds like a good option then if you already have some of the parts. i looked into doing the same thing a year or so ago, but ended up just buying a used glock 23 instead of doing the conversion. That way i didnt have to worry about switching out parts or worry about the reliablity aspect of it, if i decide to carry the 23 one day.

if you do go that route, i highly recommend looking into the company S3F solutions for a conversion barrel. i run their aftermarket barrels in a couple of my 9mm glocks and couldnt be happier with the quality of the barrel and the difference in accuracy the barrel makes!

(Delaware County)

Or just grab a .357 Sig barrel and be done. Nothing else is needed when converting to .357 Sig. Technically the followers in the .357 mags have a different part number then the .40 mags but they work just fine.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Police trade g23 and wolf conversion barrel is not that expensive. Mine works fine without extractor or ejector change. Try just the barrel first, that's my recommendation. They all say for range only. Lawyer speak, I think. The advantage is you can shoot lead.
    This has been my experience as well. My Son put a barrel in, got some 9mm mags and has not looked back. He easily has a couple thousand rounds through it without a glitch or failure.

Be safe (and diversified).

Scott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast