Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Springfield EMP 9MM

Hi All,

I was curious if anyone had any personal experience with the Springfield EMP. I actually don't have a 9MM in my collection, and I've been wanting to pick one up. I also don't have a 1911, so this gun would kill two birds with one stone (cue the ribbing about how a 1911 in anything other than .45 isn't a 1911). I also plan on picking up a Kimber in .45 to solve that problem, but still curious about the EMP. Any input/feedback/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Springfield EMP 9MM

I fired one several years ago and found it to be an excellent firearm. Similar pistol which is also very highly regarded but a fair bit cheaper is the Sig P938. Regarding Kimber .45, is there a particular reason you are limiting your interest to Kimber? They are certainly nice handguns but there are better options in almost every price category of Kimber. For example, they're low end is about $700 and you could get one of several excellent pistols for that including Colt 1991, Ruger SR1911, Sig Sauer...on the high end you're in Dan Wesson territory, and also higher end Colts. Just my 2 cents...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by IrocGuns View Post
    I fired one several years ago and found it to be an excellent firearm. Similar pistol which is also very highly regarded but a fair bit cheaper is the Sig P938. Regarding Kimber .45, is there a particular reason you are limiting your interest to Kimber? They are certainly nice handguns but there are better options in almost every price category of Kimber. For example, they're low end is about $700 and you could get one of several excellent pistols for that including Colt 1991, Ruger SR1911, Sig Sauer...on the high end you're in Dan Wesson territory, and also higher end Colts. Just my 2 cents...
    I wouldn't rule anything out, I've just always had an affinity for Kimber. I also like the option of buying it with the Crimson Trace grips already integrated, but I'd be willing to look at any other reputable manufacturer that offers the same thing.

I'll have to look at the P938. I do love Sig, my P229 is my favorite handgun, but I've only ever shot mine and a handful of P226 in 9MM.

Thanks for the input!

(Lancaster County)

The P938 is a very nice gun, but it's not a 1911. It's like a 1911 on the outside, but the innards are quite different.

(Northampton County)

I purchased a EMP in 9mm from another forum member and it is a great little pistol. I don't have any complaints at all.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by shapiro1321 View Post
    I purchased a EMP in 9mm from another forum member and it is a great little pistol. I don't have any complaints at all.
    Thanks for the input! I had read a few articles on it and one of the authors said that it was hard to control during fast firing. I'm guessing it had more to do with the size of his hands but it's good to hear that you like it. Thanks again!

I follow this woman's channel on YouTube mostly for tips for my wife and training newer shooters. She ownes and operates a Gun shop range and trains I'm also pretty sure her husban ownes either Elzta or Olite which makes tatical flashlights for the industry.

Her long time EDC has been the spring field EMP. While she doesn't have a strait up review video about the pistol she often mentions its reliability in other topics.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h80l4uNeIpI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3QREnnAcuyM

I would love to own one but their $900.00 price tag is just to high for me.

(Berks County)

I had one and it was one of the BEST shooting subcompacts out there. It is a laser and super soft shooting. It was nice and light and just disappeared when carrying IWB. 9+1 of 9mm puts it very close to the double stack sub compacts out there. It is expensive, but is worth every penny.
    When in doubt, knifehand!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by shapiro1321 View Post
    Can you compare the size of the EMP to a full size 1911? I've been thinking about getting one for a long time...

(Allegheny County)

I have owned 3 EMP 9mms.
    One worked perfectly.
    One had numerous FTF with FMJ ammo (several different brands)
    One I sold - unfired.

I really wanted to like this gun, and I guess that I still do - cuz every time I handle one I think to myself "Well, maybe I'll give it another chance." Then my wife will chime in "Why?"
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast