Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Trying to build a "One Stamp" AR - Need gunsmith to weld suppressor to 10.5" barrel

So I'm thinking about building a suppressed 300 BLK AR and was looking for a gunsmith or machine shop in the Philly/Philly Burbs area who has experience in permanently attaching a suppressor to a barrel.

I was looking to attach a Gemtech Tracker (7.9") to an 8.5 or 10.5 barrel (Still deciding what would be the best option for gas blowback reasons)

Has anyone done this before? Any tips? Know of anyone in the area who can permanently attach the suppressor?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Trying to build a "One Stamp" AR - Need gunsmith to weld suppressor to 10.5" barr

I'm not a expert, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

It may sound like a good idea, but IHMO, you're setting yourself up for possible failure. For starters, unless it's a suppressor that you can disassemble, you're going to have a hell of a time cleaning it. Secondly, if you ever need to do anything that requires removal of the gas block, or you need/want to change the barrel for some reason, you're pretty much screwed.

That Gemtech Tracker is made of titanium and aluminum - welding or silver soldering isn't going to be easy and I suspect not cheap (if it's even possible given the materials). For what it is, to have it done properly, I would be surprised if you get out the door for less than $100. Put that $$ toward a 2nd stamp. Then you have an SBR AND a suppressor that you can put on the front of anything.

That's just my $0.02, taxes, title, and fees not included.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: Trying to build a "One Stamp" AR - Need gunsmith to weld suppressor to 10.5" barr

Make it a 300blk pistol - 1 stamp - no welding.

My .02
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

look at the sbx barrel, it has a "barrel extension" permanently installed allowing the suppressor to be removed. http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...TALOG_2016.pdf

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    I'm not a expert, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

It may sound like a good idea, but IHMO, you're setting yourself up for possible failure. For starters, unless it's a suppressor that you can disassemble, you're going to have a hell of a time cleaning it. Secondly, if you ever need to do anything that requires removal of the gas block, or you need/want to change the barrel for some reason, you're pretty much screwed.

That Gemtech Tracker is made of titanium and aluminum - welding or silver soldering isn't going to be easy and I suspect not cheap (if it's even possible given the materials). For what it is, to have it done properly, I would be surprised if you get out the door for less than $100. Put that $$ toward a 2nd stamp. Then you have an SBR AND a suppressor that you can put on the front of anything.

That's just my $0.02, taxes, title, and fees not included.
    I'd agree. Permanently attaching a suppressor doesn't seem like a good idea for the reasons above. 'Amortize' it out over the next 10, 20, 30 years and that $100 (or even $200) for the second stamp is well worth the ability to use the suppressor elsewhere. And you'll have an SBR lower to which you can mount multiple short uppers.

(Montgomery County)

I guess I'll just build an AR pistol in 300 blk and file the tax stamp

(Armstrong County)

In order to save $200, you are going to weld a $700 suppressor on it, so it csnt be used on any of your other firearms?

(Montgomery County)

It's not a money issue - it's a time issue. I have the suppressor and could have the thing up and running in about a week or so, compared to the 6-9 months it is currently taking to process a Form 1.

I have other quick attach suppressors I can swap out on my other platforms.

(Bucks County)

Def. do a pistol build.... If you go ahead with perminatly mounting your suppressor.... I am pretty sure you will regret
    Doing so "down the road", when that new toy catches your eye!

That said.... I am surprised no one has produced a SBX like barrel for a 9mm AR-15.... If it is cool with ATF in .22
    I can't imagine why they would get balled up over a 9mm!

P.S. I have an SBX barrel on my 10/22...... it works great.... While it was expensive..... It was worth it!
    Last edited by 1096369fred; December 20th, 2016 at 09:32 AM.
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Lackawanna County)

Welding makes it ridiculous to clean.just not worth it.
    Build it as a pistol
    File form 1 to sbr
    Shoot it as a pistol til it clears.

I keep a pistol tube around for just that reason.