Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Solebury Township Passes Gun Control Resolution

I'll let maybe someone who knows Solebury better than I do describe the typical Solebury resident. I'm in Bucks County but in a part that shakes our heads and/or laughs at the laws, resolutions, and constant fighting among the residents. You name it and they will file a lawsuit and/or start a public fight.

From my personal observation, the typical resident is over-educated with too much money and too little common sense. The supervisors have decided to take matters into their own hands and force the state and Federal governments to enact the laws they want and that they know is best for the rest of the country. Seriously. And, they have the egos and money to think they can force it. So, they passed as resolution the other day. Here is the story.

Solebury supervisors pass gun control resolution

by NANCY ALBENCE

Solebury’s board of supervisors passed a gun safety resolution in the hopes that other local governments will follow suit to bring this issue to the fore with state and federal officials.

While the township is not permitted under state law to establish gun regulations, Chairwoman Helen Tai, who introduced the resolution, stated that after the shooting in Dallas, she felt compelled to do something.

“Since we, as supervisors are charged with the health, welfare, and safety of our residents,” declared Tai, “the resolution functions as a petition to higher legislative officials to address the issue of gun violence.”

Supervisor Jim Searing asked to what degree public input was involved. Expressing his support for the resolution he made a point of stating he had reservations about the process which he felt required more public involvement.

“I feel we are making a statement representing the people of Solebury without sufficient public input,” Searing said. “We don’t really have a sense of the community’s position in this matter.”

The scope of the resolution encompasses background checks including online gun purchases, banning assault weapons, prohibiting the sale of firearms to buyers with known or suspected links to terrorism as well as those individuals convicted of violent hate crimes or a history of domestic abuse. It further seeks to reduce ammunition clip capacity, require trigger locks on firearms in homes inhabited by children and calls for funding research into the effects of gun violence and gun safety technology.

Reaction from residents was controversial.

“Your personal agenda should not be put up for a vote. Put the resolution on the ballot.” Ed McGahan, a former supervisor, said. “This is not within the realm of local government.”

Resident John Brayman concurred, “I agree. The resolution covers a broad spectrum requiring public input.”

However, resident John Rodwell begged to differ. “Inactivity at the state and federal levels leads me to seek support at the local level. I support responsible gun ownership, but assault weapons were not the intention of the Second Amendment.”

“I support your resolution 100 percent, “ chimed in Allen Cunning. “Gun violence is the worst in the United States. I have written to state and federal legislators. It’s like blowing smoke. They won’t take action for fear of jeopardizing their re-election.”
    Searing argued that voting on the resolution was a first step to motivate Congress to take action.

Supervisor Kevin Morrissey interjected, “I support the resolution; we need to begin discussion at the state and federal levels and I see the resolution as a way to do that. If enough townships say something, perhaps state and federal legislators will do something.

“To those who contend it is not the job of the board of supervisors, we are ultimately responsible for the health and safety of our citizens.”

McGahan called upon the board to publish the resolution making it available to residents and to table the measure until “we have a full quorum.”(Supervisor Noel Barrett was not present.)

The board, however, elected to vote, passing the resolution unanimously.

http://www.buckscountyherald.com/new...esolution.html

www.buckscountyherald.com

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Solebury Township Passes Gun Control Resolution

So they admit that they are not allowed to pass regulations due to state law so they pass a "resolution" that is no more than words on a paper and have zero standing? Kudos to them for wasting everybody's time!

(Bucks County)

it is a town full of pretentious people, who think that they are better than the rest of the world. That seems to cover quite a few for a few towns in that part of the county
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Chester County)

Let me guess. How many of these dopes are NJ transplants, and/or New Hope types living the "alternative lifestyle"? Mindless, grad degree holding douche bags that don't even know what defines an "assault weapon". Guess they want "machine guns" off the streets, huh?

(Lancaster County)

“To those who contend it is not the job of the board of supervisors, we are ultimately responsible for the health and safety of our citizens.”
    No, you're not held responsible for the health and safety of the citizens, not a single one of you will ever be held responsible, as has been seen in the past. Even when a government entity at any level is found to be responsible, the monies paid still come from the tax base. People should be responsible for their own health and safety.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Clarion County)

" It further seeks to reduce ammunition clip capacity,"

Yep, did their homework with this.

Edit: since they don't mention magazines, load those babies up.
    Last edited by cephas; September 15th, 2016 at 02:53 PM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Bucks County)

They mean well.

Never mind the fact that the resolution is unenforceable and riddled with evidence of gun ignorance. How about that rejecting the idea of getting your constituents opinion or having a proper quorum. Representative? What a joke!

(Erie County)

A resolution is not a law.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    No, you're not held responsible for the health and safety of the citizens, not a single one of you will ever be held responsible, as has been seen in the past. Even when a government entity at any level is found to be responsible, the monies paid still come from the tax base. People should be responsible for their own health and safety.
    That jumped out at me, as well.

Despite their delusions of importance, their job is to get the snow off the streets, and prevent anyone from building a hog rendering plant in the middle of a housing development. That's pretty much it. Not to run anyone's life, not to impose that great societal Utopia they read about in Orwell's book. Just keep the roads clear and handle zoning stuff. The County will handle the criminal stuff that matters. And most of these Progressive satraps botch even their real jobs, so they aren't ready to become Global Dictators yet.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Beaver County)

But they hafta DO SOMETHING. It's guns, I mean, you know.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast