Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Non Resident Massachusetts resident

I have an unrestricted CCW in MA where I am resident. I would like to apply for a PA non resident CC. Usually the State Police in each State run this process. Everywhere I search, I see in PA you need to apply to the "County Sheriff" office. Since I am not resident, "which" county office should I file my application with??

Thank you for your help

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Non Resident Massachusetts resident

Here is a good place to start-

http://www.pafoa.org/counties/

Some county sheriffs will issue them to non-residents, some won't.

You need to have a license in your home state, which apparently you do, but I don't know if the fact that PA doesn't recognize MA, and of course MA doesn't recognize anyone, would also come into play.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bconrad View Post
    I have an unrestricted CCW in MA where I am resident. I would like to apply for a PA non resident CC. Usually the State Police in each State run this process. Everywhere I search, I see in PA you need to apply to the "County Sheriff" office. Since I am not resident, "which" county office should I file my application with??

Thank you for your help
    This is the section where you win, being a non resident. Unlike PA residents, who MUST apply in the county in which they reside, as a non-resident you get to go to ANY sheriff you wish. You can avoid the sheriff's who refuse to follow the law, or take as much time as they legally can and get to go to a sheriff who will issue in a timely fashion (perhaps while you wait).

The process must be done (at least partially) in person, you can't do it entirely through the mail. Some sheriffs make you apply in person (and sometimes issue while you wait) others allow you to apply by mail, then pick up in person. Do you have a trip to PA planned anytime soon, or would you be coming specifically to get your license? If you have a trip planned, where? Maybe we can guide you to the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    This is the section where you win, being a non resident. Unlike PA residents, who MUST apply in the county in which they reside, as a non-resident you get to go to ANY sheriff you wish. You can avoid the sheriff's who refuse to follow the law, or take as much time as they legally can and get to go to a sheriff who will issue in a timely fashion (perhaps while you wait).

The process must be done (at least partially) in person, you can't do it entirely through the mail. Some sheriffs make you apply in person (and sometimes issue while you wait) others allow you to apply by mail, then pick up in person. Do you have a trip to PA planned anytime soon, or would you be coming specifically to get your license? If you have a trip planned, where? Maybe we can guide you to the best choice.
    I am a resident of CT and have my CC permit for here. I go to PA a lot and my family lives in Montgomery County. Which I see does not process out of state permits. I travel back to that area a lot. Which sheriffs office would you recommend that I could apply for my permit near there?

(Susquehanna County)

Depends which route you take and where in Montgomery County you go.
    But I would not try Delaware or Philadelphia Head North or West is best bet Like Berks or Lehigh

http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/cou...sylvania.shtml
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Bucks County)

Bucks does too. They issue while you wait, but I don't know if that applies to out of state as well.

(Northampton County)

I went with a person from Mass. To Berks county. They got the ltcf in about 15 minutes. Just print the app off the Berks county website and bring your Mass license with you.