Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Another Gun in a Box - AR15 Pistol Build

Awesome. Always enjoy build threads. Especially for things I've never built (AR pistol)!

(York County)

How's it coming along?
    I have a 7.5 pistol that is hands down everyone's favorite to shoot out of the lot...something about big fireballs puts a big smile on people's faces!!

Quote Originally Posted by AJRB View Post
    How's it coming along?
    I have a 7.5 pistol that is hands down everyone's favorite to shoot out of the lot...something about big fireballs puts a big smile on people's faces!!
    Ever shot one with a 10.5 or 11 inch barrel? Hows it compare to the 7.5?
    Hold the Line...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by AJRB View Post
    How's it coming along?
    I've been getting home as it is getting dark so I haven't been able to take pics of the upper, but I snapped a few this morning that I'll post this evening.

Gotta find time to assemble the lower next and it will be done.

Also, my entire reason for spending over a hundred bucks on a muzzle device was to reduce fireballs as much as possible.
    Let's hope it works!
    Last edited by Emptymag; September 8th, 2016 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Speaking of muzzle devices - I'll post a few pics and comments before I toss up the completed upper pics...

I decided I wanted "something" to direct the blast forward. Flash cans seem to be common and cheap at around $35 or so, but ALL they do is direct the blast forward - you still have that pesky flamethrower effect going on. Cool on the range - maybe not so much if employed indoors. Think of the drapes!
    I figured this pistol would be a better candidate for home defense than any of my standard carbines, so I started looking into other options in the form of linear compensators.

There were a few contenders, and rather than get into all the details (most of which I have since forgotten anyway), I will just say that I read good reviews on the Primary Weapons Systems CQB 556 Close Quarters Compensator. There were other linear comps that were rather impressive in their recoil control and/or redirection of concussion, but thie PWS CQB seemed to be the only one (in this price range) that offered reasonable flash hiding capabilities.
    After watching a video of it being fired in darkness with mostly just some sparks coming out the end, I decided this was the one.

It comes apart, but I haven't tried to do so yet.

There's no "top", so it doesn't need to be timed - any position is fine as you tighten it to the barrel with a crush washer.

Note that the "notches" in the front are "offset" for lack of a better term.
    There are no other "ports" - only the hole that's in line with the muzzle. There are internal baffles if I recall.

Specs from PWS website

Caliber – .223
    Length – 2.57”
    Diameter – 1.4”
    Thread Pitch – 1/2×28 RH
    Weight – 7.3 oz

7.3 oz. added to that fat assed barrel gives it some heft. I'll just hope it helps with muzzle climb.

(Allegheny County)

Oh yeah! For those looking to build and trying to decide what hand guard to get, there are a few factors to consider before choosing one.

First of all, you want M-Lok because Keymod is gay. OK, maybe not, but I think it's ugly - I chose M-Lok.

What type of muzzle device will you use? In my case, it made things slightly more complicated because I wanted the muzzle device to be INSIDE (or at least partially) the handguard, so I needed one with an inside diameter that would allow for that. This was not as easy as you'd think - at least not on a budget - I'm not spending $200+ on a friggin' handguard.

What length?
    This part I nearly screwed up because I was adding the barrel length and the length of the comp. Seems pretty straightforward but you need to account for the threads and how far the comp screws onto the barrel.
    I had it "all figured out" - I needed a 9" rail in order to have the comp protruding about an inch. PERFECT! And wrong.

I almost ordered the 9" handguard, but the two places I checked with were out of stock. It's a good thing too because once the comp arrived and I screwed it onto the barrel, I realized where my calculations were in error.

Stupid stupid threads!!!

7.5" + 2.5" (ish) does NOT equal 10" total length!

If I had used a 9" rail, only a portion of the tapered end would have been protruding. NOT what I wanted.

Glad I had the comp chosen and attached so I could get an EXACT total length in order to get the proper length handguard.

Ideally, I would have gone with an 8" rail to get the precise "look" that I was going for in regards to the amount the comp protrudes, but those 8" handguards are few and far between and the ones I DID find were well over $200. Not happening in this lifetime.
    In the end, I used a 7" rail and I'm happy with the look. (stay calm - pics coming soon, I promise!)

(Allegheny County)

Completed upper!

7" Aero Precision Quantum M-Lok

Note that it comes with a short rail segment for mounting a front sight.
    Also note that Magpul MBUS sights do not work properly without slight modification.
    Since the rail is close to the handguard, there isn't enough clearance for the MBUS to be pressed down to deploy it.
    Supposedly this can be remedied with a file.

I wished I could have found more pics when I was looking, so maybe these will be appreciated...

(York County)

Very nice looking upper, and man those are some outstanding pics!!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    Ever shot one with a 10.5 or 11 inch barrel? Hows it compare to the 7.5?
    No I have not but I cant imagine that huge a difference.

With that being said......I agree with the choice of a muzzle device designed for close quarter combat, because this is where the AR pistol shines, same as a SBR.
    I want as short and compact a package as possible clearing room to room. I wouldn't want to be swinging around an 11 in barrel (12-13 inches with muzzle device) around corners to enter a room.

(Allegheny County)

Looks real good!! Cant wait to see it in person... BTW...how long does it take you to build a lower!!!!! (LOL)
    I would be going crazy knowing I have all the parts to finish it ,and its still sitting in the box!!
    that's why I don't think Or why I KNOW, I would not fair well doing a gun in a box...i'm too impatient

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast