Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default CBS: Gun deaths exceed automobile deaths, top 20 states for gun deaths

CBS does nice job making guns seem more dangerous than automobiles for the average citizen. Remove inner-city drug and gang crime though and gun deaths are negligible. But, they have a narrative to promote. Also, they claim gun deaths now exceed death by automobile. I thought this was bs, but I checked the CDC, and if .gov is to be believed, annual gun deaths currently run a close second but are tied, for all intents and purposes, at 33,636 for guns vs 33,804 for cars as of the latest data set collected.

So, here are the top twenty states for gun deaths. Despite the best efforts of Philly, Chester, Reading, Harrisburg, Erie and da Burgh, we didn't make the cut...

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/deat...tag=MSF0951a18
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

Default Re: CBS: Gun deaths exceed automobile deaths, top 20 states for gun deaths

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    CBS does nice job making guns seem more dangerous than automobiles for the average citizen. Remove inner-city drug and gang crime though and gun deaths are negligible. But, they have a narrative to promote. Also, they claim gun deaths now exceed death by automobile. I thought this was bs, but I checked the CDC, and if .gov is to be believed, annual gun deaths currently run a close second but are tied, for all intents and purposes, at 33,636 for guns vs 33,804 for cars as of the latest data set collected.

So, here are the top twenty states for gun deaths. Despite the best efforts of Philly, Chester, Reading, Harrisburg, Erie and da Burgh, we didn't make the cut...

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/deat...tag=MSF0951a18

And if you take out suicides, gun homicides are around 8-9k. take out gang homicides, i would be willing to bet it is around 1k

(Chester County)

Default Re: CBS: Gun deaths exceed automobile deaths, top 20 states for gun deaths

Wow, I was surprised to see some of the states on that list.

(Lancaster County)

Self driving cars will completely eliminate vehicle deaths.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Ah-ha, now I get it the progressive's motivation for driverless cars....gun control!
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Chester County)

I'm plenty safe with my guns and the only one who should fear them is an intruder. So, on the bright side, I'm now safer in my car. I view this as a good news story.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Wow, I was surprised to see some of the states on that list.
    The author of the piece at CBS deliberately chose the metric of firearm deaths per 100,000 state residents, which skews the results by showing high per capita deaths in the less-populous states. A state with 1 million residents would only need 137 gun deaths to achieve 13.7 gun deaths per 100,000. This makes it easy to "conclude" that the least populous states with the most gun culture have high rates of gun deaths.

Take Chicago with say, 420 gun deaths. Those get diluted by 12.8 million residents in Illinois, along with all the other Illinois gun deaths, analyzing by state.

What would have been MORE interesting and valid would have been a piece on gun deaths per capita in CITIES. But that would not make the case that states which are mostly BFE have gun death problems because of intrinsic gun culture.

Statistics spinning, courtesy of CBS.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Chester County)

That's a good point Noah. I didn't think of that.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    What would have been MORE interesting and valid would have been a piece on gun deaths per capita in CITIES. But that would not make the case that states which are mostly BFE have gun death problems because of intrinsic gun culture.
    Noah
    Here's one of my favorites- it links voting trends with gun violence. It makes sense to me!

image.jpg
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast