Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Pa legislation to halt inquiries re LTCF validation from non-reciprocal states

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    ^^^^^ I am illegal when I present the LTCF that they do not honor. The fact my LTCF is or is not valid in my issuing state which they do not honor has no affect on the matter. I understand and support Metcalfe's position and history, I just don't get why another state gives a shit whether a piece of paper they don't recognize is valid or invalid outside its jurisdiction.
    You have to think like them to figure it out. To wit:

If a person has a card authorizing them to possesses Medical MJ, they are automatically assumed to be a user. Therefore...

If a person has a card authorizing them to own or <GASP> carry a firearm, even if it's only in their state of residence on the other side of the country, they are automatically assumed to be in possession of a firearm. Therefore...

We have probable cause to detain him, cuff him, and tear his car apart looking for the gun that we *know* he must have with him - 'cause he has a card, you know - so we can bust him for violating all of our ridiculous anti-gun(-owner) laws.

That, sir, is why they give a $#!%.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Pa legislation to halt inquiries re LTCF validation from non-reciprocal states

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post

Pennsylvania maintains what is known
    as the Firearms License Validation System,
    which allows law enforcement officials from
    Pennsylvania and other states to access the
    system to verify the validity of Pennsylvaniaissued
    licenses to carry firearms.

A common practice among states is
    to establish what are called reciprocity
    agreements. These agreements allow for the
    mutual recognition of each state’s licenses
    to carry firearms. Pennsylvania currently has
    reciprocity agreements with 18 states.
    We have a formal agreement with 18 states but last I looked we can carry in about 30 states.........

What will happen if you have to show your LTCF in the other "good" states that accept a Pa license (but does not have a formal agreement)?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    We have a formal agreement with 18 states but last I looked we can carry in about 30 states.........

What will happen if you have to show your LTCF in the other "good" states that accept a Pa license (but does not have a formal agreement)?
    Look at it this way:

If New York passed such a law, CCP holder from up state New York is driving in PA and gets pulled over during a "routine" traffic stop, he would be in trouble. Since PA will recognize his permit for vehicle carry, only. Now, PA LEO on the side of the road cannot verify validity, it's off to the clink, let the courts sort it out.

(Montgomery County)

This is silly.
    For all of the commotion about "that guy in Maryland stopped for having a Florida LTCF" (true story), PA already doesn't attach that info to driver's licenses, so we are already good in that regard. All this legislation would do is to hinder the ability of LE to do a proper investigation in other states.
    We all want to be pro gun, and pass anything that seems to be such, but this isn't pro or anti gun, it's a political red herring.
    PUT AN ACOG ON IT!

Quote Originally Posted by masakarijoe View Post
    This is silly.
    For all of the commotion about "that guy in Maryland stopped for having a Florida LTCF" (true story), PA already doesn't attach that info to driver's licenses, so we are already good in that regard. All this legislation would do is to hinder the ability of LE to do a proper investigation in other states.
    We all want to be pro gun, and pass anything that seems to be such, but this isn't pro or anti gun, it's a political red herring.
    I agree in part, but I'm mystified as to how this hinders the ability of a PD, in a state which doesn't recognize our LTCF, to conduct a legitimate investigation.

There are certainly people who view the possession of an LTCF (or ownership of a gun) as evidence of nefarious intent; that's why Progressive haters like to out the gun owners, if "journalists" can get their hands on lists of permit holders.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Search for the story about the Florida man stopped in MD and searched for several hours by the roadside because the MD license plate scanning system pulled up the fact that he had a FL permit.

When you realize I'm not kidding you'll see the value in this legislation.
    Amen, I am moving - maybe AZ - constitutional carry. I gotta escape from MD.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

This is silly.
    The system still gets the DL information uploaded into it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I agree in part, but I'm mystified as to how this hinders the ability of a PD, in a state which doesn't recognize our LTCF, to conduct a legitimate investigation.

There are certainly people who view the possession of an LTCF (or ownership of a gun) as evidence of nefarious intent; that's why Progressive haters like to out the gun owners, if "journalists" can get their hands on lists of permit holders.
    Without physically having a LTCF in their hands, out of state officers wouldn't be looking for LTCF info anyway, and wouldn't find out about said LTCF during traffic stops because that information is not linked to the drivers FL. So really, this is a complete non-issue.
    That said, I am completely against publication or any public access, to include general non specific access by LE, of our database. If this is what the aim is here, then I'm all in. But to me, this legislation almost seems aimed at preventing LE from non reciprocal states from checking the validity of a provided LTCF simply as a punishment for not having full reciprocity with us. It doesn't make sense.
    PUT AN ACOG ON IT!

(Delaware County)

This is silly.
    On occasion while listening to my scanner I have heard DELCOM (Delaware County, PA police radio) mention someone a PD is running a DL on that the person has a "gun permit".

This is silly.
    Does it have to be attached to PA driver's licenses for an out of state officer to see if you have a PA LTCF? Once you hand the out of state officer your drivers license, he has your name, date of birth and address. Isn't it possible for him or his dispatcher then do a name/address search of the PA LTCF database? If it is possible, do you believe that officers in MD, NY and NJ don't fish for things to arrest people from pro gun states especially if they see NRA stickers or pro gun bumper stickers? If someone has a LTCF, the officer will think that they have a chance that they can catch the citizen slippin. I am for any legislation that protects our privacy from states that do not recognize PA's LTCF and have no business knowing if I have one.
    Last edited by ed bernay; September 8th, 2016 at 11:01 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast