Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Pa legislation to halt inquiries re LTCF validation from non-reciprocal states

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Search for the story about the Florida man stopped in MD and searched for several hours by the roadside because the MD license plate scanning system pulled up the fact that he had a FL permit.

When you realize I'm not kidding you'll see the value in this legislation.
    But, but , but .... There are LEOs on here who say that is not possible. They swear our LTCF status can not be known by reading our plates.
    --ET

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Pa legislation to halt inquiries re LTCF validation from non-reciprocal states

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    That's great. Now how about eliminating the license requirement entirely. No license, no need to have a system that keeps track of them, no need to worry about "authorities" outside PA from a using such a system.

No need to worry about "authorities" inside PA abusing it either.
    That depends. What have you done on this issue?
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Search for the story about the Florida man stopped in MD and searched for several hours by the roadside because the MD license plate scanning system pulled up the fact that he had a FL permit.

When you realize I'm not kidding you'll see the value in this legislation.
    Is there solid evidence that this happened that way? More than just the stop, and the fact that he had PA tags, is there concrete proof that the cop accessed the LTCF system?

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    This. They say the reason that they have probable cause is that you have a LTCF.
    Who said so, is there a reliable source for that?

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    That's great. Now how about eliminating the license requirement entirely. No license, no need to have a system that keeps track of them, no need to worry about "authorities" outside PA from a using such a system.

No need to worry about "authorities" inside PA abusing it either.
    We'd be left with the difficulty in driving by any school in PA with a gun, without violating the Federal law that exempts us if we have PA LTCF's.

I'm curious as to how that works in the few "Constitutional carry" states. Perhaps there are no cases, it's unlikely that anyone would be arrested by a Fed purely for that.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    That depends. What have you done on this issue?
    Done about what?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I'm curious as to how that works in the few "Constitutional carry" states. Perhaps there are no cases, it's unlikely that anyone would be arrested by a Fed purely for that.
    I think a lot of people just don't give a shit about it.

(Delaware County)

Is there solid evidence that this happened that way? More than just the stop, and the fact that he had PA tags, is there concrete proof that the cop accessed the LTCF system?
    IIRC:

Florida ties your firearm permit to your DL, which in turn is tied to your vehicle registration, and this registration is made available to other agencies (e.g. MD police).Essentially all they cared about was that he had a gun in MD (which he didn't, it was home in his safe). There was no other way they could have known.

I Googled for a link and typed as far as "florida man stopp" when "florida man stopped in maryland" came up. Lotsa articles fulla details.

And here http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=243680

(Delaware County)

We'd be left with the difficulty in driving by any school in PA with a gun, without violating the Federal law that exempts us if we have PA LTCF's.

I'm curious as to how that works in the few "Constitutional carry" states. Perhaps there are no cases,
    it's unlikely that anyone would be arrested by a Fed purely for that.
    It's not likely that we'll be accosted and be in fear for our lives every day, but we carry firearms every day to protect ourselves. Not because it's likely to happen, but because of the consequences if it does.

While the federal GFSZ has no apparent bearing on bad guys, the consequences of violating it has a chilling effect on us.

My 2¢

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    But...I have a question. If a state does not honor my LTCF, what reason would they have to check on whether it is valid in my state?
    I suspect that some states might be doing so to establish cause for a vehicle or body search. But there's no reason to speculate - I'm sure that Metcalfe would be happy to explain the reason he wrote the bill.

General rule when reading a gun bill: If Metcalfe is a sponsor or co-sponsor, it supports gun rights.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    But...I have a question. If a state does not honor my LTCF, what reason would they have to check on whether it is valid in my state? They cannot apply another state's law if it is invalid in that state, and finding it invalid in the issuing state would not affect the violation.So, I don't see what it is accomplishing with respect to the possession of the gun in the state that does not honor our LTCF.
    They want to know if you possibly are carrying illegally, of course. Or have a loaded weapon in the passenger compartment.

(Bucks County)

^^^^^ I am illegal when I present the LTCF that they do not honor. The fact my LTCF is or is not valid in my issuing state which they do not honor has no affect on the matter. I understand and support Metcalfe's position and history, I just don't get why another state gives a shit whether a piece of paper they don't recognize is valid or invalid outside its jurisdiction.
    Last edited by Bang; September 6th, 2016 at 02:05 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast