Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Breaking in a New Semi Auto?

I just ordered a new Beretta A 300, I am looking forward to trying it out! What ammo should I use to break in the new semi auto 12 gauge? I am new to semi auto guns so a little help would be much appreciated!

Thanks Isaac!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Breaking in a New Semi Auto?

I'd check your manual, they may have something in there. Honestly, I'd shoot it and only worry about break in if you have issues cycling lighter loads. My Benelli SBE II cycled light loads right out of the box with no hiccups (lighter than recommended actually, 2 3/4 dram vs. the 3 dram minimum recommended),

Usually though, heavier stuff would help it break in nice. Obviously, don't go shooting 4 rounds of trap with turkey loads, that'd hurt your shoulder and your wallet, but I'd look into maybe some high brass shells, again, only if you find you need a break in.

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks for the information! I'll see how the gun manages whatever I have laying around. If It has any trouble Ill buy some heavier ammo and give it a go.

If you want to run target loads and stuff like that, your gun might need to cycle some heavier loads (geese or turkey) first. This seems to be more true with inertia guns atleast in my own experience. The manual will give you a better idea. Nice choice for a semi and enjoy !

(Washington County)

Different type of animal, but my Saiga 12 didn't reliably shoot cheap low brass target loads until I had about 500 down the barrel.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796