Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default I'm way ahead of the FBI on the 9mm

My Gen 3 model 23 Glock already has the traditionally rifled barrel..because the barrel is a Wolf. My 9mm ammo surpasses the FBI specs. It is .357 SIG, which drives the 9mm bullet faster than any +p+ which the FBI does not even want.

My question..looking for opinions....since the magazine holds 13...I'm thinking alternating rounds might be an advantage in an unforeseen situation. Alternating fmj-hollow point-fmj-hollow point-fmj.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: I'm way ahead of the FBI on the 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    My Gen 3 model 23 Glock already has the traditionally rifled barrel..because the barrel is a Wolf. My 9mm ammo surpasses the FBI specs. It is .357 SIG, which drives the 9mm bullet faster than any +p+ which the FBI does not even want.

My question..looking for opinions....since the magazine holds 13...I'm thinking alternating rounds might be an advantage in an unforeseen situation. Alternating fmj-hollow point-fmj-hollow point-fmj.
    The whole draw to .357 is its speed, which supposedly makes it better in all forms for barrier penetration. A standard 9mm FMJ will go through just about anything. Why exacerbate that by putting more powder behind it? Do you want your round to go through the bad guy, the wall behind him, and 3 bystanders?

Hollow points are for defense, FMJs are for targets. Always, regardless of caliber in handguns.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    The whole draw to .357 is its speed, which supposedly makes it better in all forms for barrier penetration. A standard 9mm FMJ will go through just about anything. Why exacerbate that by putting more powder behind it? Do you want your round to go through the bad guy, the wall behind him, and 3 bystanders?

Hollow points are for defense, FMJs are for targets. Always, regardless of caliber in handguns.
    Oh, this is gonna get good...

Fuck that. I stagger FMJ and HP in my .32ACP - and sometimes in my .380ACP
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Cumberland County)

I'd never stagger the rounds in any of my guns. Go with what is best for the majority of potential encounters and that would be a quality self defense hollow point round.

If you care about penetration then check out Hornady's critical duty round. I carry these Lehigh defense rounds that aren't hollow points but act like them.
    Saw various ballistic tests of them and with the consistent penetration and wound channel even through different types of barriers I decided to pick them up.
    I tend to gravitate towards rounds that penetrate slightly more and these rounds were going a consistent 19 inches through the gel even through barriers.

(Washington County)

I don't subscribe to alternating rounds. I want the same thing going down range every time. If I need to punch through something with FMJ I guess I'll just have to put a few more on the target to push through. Since I'm carrying 9mm and have 17 rounds I have extra to spare (tongue in cheek).

The WORST example of alternating I encountered was a guy in Rochester, NY carrying a 1911 with alternating 45 ACP ball and SNAKE SHOT loads. I just shut my mouth, and quietly backed away from the conversation. I could tell this older gentleman was too far gone.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

I don't subscribe to it either - I just do it because I've read enough to have at least some doubt as to the effectiveness of HP in a "small caliber" handgun.

I've never even given it a thought in regards to 9mm and "up".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

.25 acp, breaks that rule. What about an ammo shortage? Never happen right? Rules, we don need no stinkin rules.
    Generally good idea to carry HP ammo, like a seatbelt or a helmet though should be up to the user. Sometimes they'll get you killed.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Oh, this is gonna get good...
    Yeah it is.

I load FMJ in my Beretta 3032 - 32ACP (Fiocchi 73gr). 32ACP doesn't have a ton of power, and most HPs in this caliber open up before they go deep enough to cause suitable disruption to the operation of the boiler room. In this case, I want penetration over expansion. 380ACP is on the edge and I consider it a toss up. Choice/availability of ammo will play a big part in the decision for what to feed a 380ACP. Anything with more power than a 380ACP and I agree - HP ammo for SD.

BUT (and there is always a but)
    When many of the older guns were designed (think early to mid 1900s - 1911, Hi-Power, BDA - aka. Sig P220), they were designed to feed ball/FMJ ammo - HP ammo wasn't even on the radar. If you choose to carry one of these guns and want to load with HP ammo, be 100% sure that your gun will feed correctly. Now, this being 2016, we have SD ammo that mimics the profile of FMJ (Pow'r Ball, Hornady Critical Defense/Duty, etc). These would be a good alternative for these older designs if ammo is available in your caliber.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Bucks County)

My main interest is in the .357 SIG at 125 grains developing 654 FP of energy (Corbon). Energy, folks. Energetic insult to the threat. You cannot envision a gun fight and prepare for what you envisioned. If my attacker seeks cover and continues firing at me from that cover, determined that I not be around to view his mugshot, I need to get him to the point where he drops that idea. I figure I have the equivalent of two seven-shot pistols on me. One loaded with FMJ, the other with HP, in one integral tool. (A reminder...I haven't set up my G23 with alternate ammo...I am considering it and looking for ideas).

(Tioga County)

It's funny how people come up with all sorts of "must do" tactical ideas.

9mm FMJ has been killing people for 110 years and has probably done in millions of people. Works just fine. And still works fine, even after all the marketing hype with you must have Extreme Critical Duty Defense Super Expanding Hollow Point Rest In Peace rounds or else the gun is worthless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast