Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Reddish or orange coloration on the "lands" of rifling of my pistol.

I noticed that the inside of the barrel of my pistol has some reddish or copperish discoloration on the lands of the rifling. I can't remember right now if I cleaned it again since the last time I fired it. Is this normal, or is this rust? I imagine it could just be from copper bullet casings?

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Reddish or orange coloration on the "lands" of rifling of my pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by darnskewered View Post
    I noticed that the inside of the barrel of my pistol has some reddish or copperish discoloration on the lands of the rifling. I can't remember right now if I cleaned it again since the last time I fired it. Is this normal, or is this rust? I imagine it could just be from copper bullet casings?
    Unless you used something specifically for copper fouling cleaning your gun probably wouldn't have gotten rid of it. Lots of variables here, how many rounds did you shoot out of it? Where they jacketed or just plated? Have you shot any ammo that might have been corrosive?

(Centre County)

Default Re: Reddish or orange coloration on the "lands" of rifling of my pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Unless you used something specifically for copper fouling cleaning your gun probably wouldn't have gotten rid of it. Lots of variables here, how many rounds did you shoot out of it? Where they jacketed or just plated? Have you shot any ammo that might have been corrosive?
    Jacketed. And not a huge amount of rounds. Probably in total I've shot around 1000 since I bought the gun in June, but I have cleaned it usually after every other trip to the range. I'm using the standard hoppes no 9 cleaning solution and oil, and a bore brush which I think is made out of brass or copper bristles though it may be nylon, not really sure. The rounds were all standard full metal jacket range ammo.

(Centre County)

Sounds like a bit of copper fouling to me, probably not rust. Standard bore cleaning liquids will not remove the copper fouling. Copper fouling happens in all guns when jacketed bullets are fired. it won't hurt unless it rally builds up. Many shooter will clean the bores of all typical fouling and then clean them with an ammonia based solvent to remove the copper fouling. With an ammonia based cleaner, your patches will come out with blue streaks on them if there is copper that was left in the barrels. Once the patches come out with no blue, then you should be free of the copper build up. One caveat, don't let the copper solvent soak in the barrel for too long as it could have a detrimental effect over time. Also, be ready, the ammonia smell can be worse than an baby's diaper pail full of wet diapers (old guys will know exactly what I'm talking about ).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Sounds like a bit of copper fouling to me, probably not rust. Standard bore cleaning liquids will not remove the copper fouling. Copper fouling happens in all guns when jacketed bullets are fired. it won't hurt unless it rally builds up. Many shooter will clean the bores of all typical fouling and then clean them with an ammonia based solvent to remove the copper fouling. With an ammonia based cleaner, your patches will come out with blue streaks on them if there is copper that was left in the barrels. Once the patches come out with no blue, then you should be free of the copper build up. One caveat, don't let the copper solvent soak in the barrel for too long as it could have a detrimental effect over time. Also, be ready, the ammonia smell can be worse than an baby's diaper pail full of wet diapers (old guys will know exactly what I'm talking about ).
    Maybe I didn't clean it since last I shot it. I can't even remember, haha. Hoppe's 9 bore cleaner has ammonia in it right? So I'd expect that to pick up the copper fouling.
    Last edited by darnskewered; August 19th, 2016 at 01:01 PM.

(Bucks County)

Hoppes for copper or the bore foam for copper. Let the solvent sit in the barrel for a while.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by darnskewered View Post
    Maybe I didn't clean it since last I shot it. I can't even remember, haha. Hoppe's 9 bore cleaner has ammonia in it right? So I'd expect that to pick up the copper fouling.
    I will add the caveat that if your pistol has a chrome lined bore you do not want to use a solvent designed to remove copper fouling, as they use copper in the chrome lining process and you can have serious issues afterwards. Standard hoppe's does not have ammonia in it, something like sweet's 7.62 does.

(Centre County)

Hoppes #9 does not have ammonia in it as the others have said. To clean out copper fouling, you need a specific copper cleaner. Hoppes does make one as well. Sweets 7.62 and Montana Extreme 50 B.M.G. are very good copper fouling remover.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I use Barnes CR-10 for removing copper. Copper (and even brass) is easier to get rid of in the barrel. Aluminum fouling can be a PITA.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Hoppes #9 does not have ammonia in it as the others have said. To clean out copper fouling, you need a specific copper cleaner. Hoppes does make one as well. Sweets 7.62 and Montana Extreme 50 B.M.G. are very good copper fouling remover.
    These solvents sound as though they are really harsh and could eat the bore itself if left in too long. Sounds to me like maybe I shouldn't worry about it for a while? I did only just get my gun in June and have fired only maybe 1000 rounds through it. On second thought maybe dealing with copper fouling is something I could have a gunsmith do as part of a once a year full cleaning?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast