Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default PICS in research (yes another one)

I, like many others, are dealing with the frustrating PICS 'research' status. I purchased a weapon online and went to a local FFL to have it transferred and when he ran the PICS it went into research. Neither him or I had ever seen that before so I started to look into it.

Especially frustrating because I already own a handgun and have never had any history that would put me into a prohibited person category, I answered all the forms 100% honest and with my SS number. I have never in my life been arrested or charged with anything other than a 5mph over the limit ticket.

My FFL e-mailed me this morning ans said the State Police told him there was something on my background that was 'flagged' and needed further research and obviously wouldn't give him any details. The only tiny thing in my past that could possibly be on there is that I took medication and was in therapy for anxiety and depression about 5 years ago, however I was never adjudicated or committed anywhere involuntarily or otherwise. Would this really be showing up on a background check?

I really hope don't have to take this to the next level, being researched and possibly denied is pretty upsetting, really makes me feel like a 2nd class citizen.

It has been 2 days so far...but its bugging me a lot.

Default Re: PICS in research (yes another one)

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead123 View Post
    My FFL e-mailed me this morning ans said the State Police told him there was something on my background that was 'flagged' and needed further research and obviously wouldn't give him any details. The only tiny thing in my past that could possibly be on there is that I took medication and was in therapy for anxiety and depression about 5 years ago, however I was never adjudicated or committed anywhere involuntarily or otherwise. Would this really be showing up on a background check?
    Yep

Mental Health has become more serious of an issue to be looked into

(Chester County)

unless some legislation has been missed, wouldn't HIPPA laws prohibit sharing any medical information with ANYONE, including federal/state government?

(Allegheny County)

Unless something has changed and I am betting the forum would have heard about that any voluntary mental health issues are not prohibiting either in patient or outpatient. Only an involuntary 302 is prohibiting.

I'm betting its just a clerical/computer error. Or someone with the OP's name is prohibited. You would think providing a SSN would be able to straighten that up.

Regardless. Id rather have to appeal to the state than the feds so PICS is still not all bad. Better the devil you know than the much larger one you do not.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by birdwooddog View Post
    unless some legislation has been missed, wouldn't HIPPA laws prohibit sharing any medical information with ANYONE, including federal/state government?
    I believe one of the executive order recently handed down, did make reporting easier for mental health records. I can't seem to find the wording of it right now, but I remember that being one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by birdwooddog View Post
    HIPPA does not stop the government from sharing the data within it's own agencies. HIPPA is about sharing the data with external entities.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    Unless something has changed and I am betting the forum would have heard about that any voluntary mental health issues are not prohibiting either in patient or outpatient. Only an involuntary 302 is prohibiting.

I'm betting its just a clerical/computer error. Or someone with the OP's name is prohibited. You would think providing a SSN would be able to straighten that up.

Regardless. Id rather have to appeal to the state than the feds so PICS is still not all bad. Better the devil you know than the much larger one you do not.
    I don't have a common name and I used my ss number...so I doubt it is a same name scenario.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead123 View Post
    I don't have a common name and I used my ss number...so I doubt it is a same name scenario.
    You would be surprised. I got put in research, then denied, then had my appeal denied, because of an outstanding warrant. The problem which was not seen 3 times was that my SSN was different from that person, as was my date of birth, but no one looked at them until I called and talked one of the people at PICS and asked how I had a 5 year old warrant, but less then 3 months ago I passed a BATFE check for a suppressor. He then look and said huh, you have a different DOB, and SSN, then checked the mug shot vs my photo and said I was a different race as well.

Hopefully yours gets cleared up quicker, but if you know you are right, just stay on top of it and it will get corrected. In PA just taking anti depressants is not prohibitory.

I was on anxiety drugs (forget the name) for about 4yrs (or less) and went to therapy
    for anxiety. Never had a problem.

(Chester County)

It is no longer a right when you must beg a government bureaucrat to exercise that right. It's time to get rid of any system that you must get approval to buy a firearm.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast