Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: PICS in research (yes another one)

I see irony. Aggravating very annoying irony. Doctors prescribe (psychiatrists are MDs), time elapses, prescription expires, doctor assesses your case and decides you are good without the meds once prescribed.

Government hell-bent on "protecting the people" decides a person once treated has a mental history and although cured, their position is a patent "once mental, always mental". Patent meaning grossly obvious.

The authority to counter the government's position is the medico whose judgment is being challenged. Especially psychiatrists, are being painted as charlatans by government(s) and should be interested in mounting a class action.

But they have a catch-22 to deal with. The AMA is behind the anti-gun movement. A doctor countering AMA interests probably invites problems too big to deal with. Our need for his/her professional backing is not a mountain it would be wise to climb.

Maybe the PICS operator was busy or the system was very busy(???)

(Bucks County)

If they "discover" a different DOB and/or SS, it's pretty much an admission that it is quicker and easier to kick something aside due to name only, and get to the next application. They probably have a second tier to take that much-needed second look. Typical of government agencies, I would think.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I see irony. Aggravating very annoying irony. Doctors prescribe (psychiatrists are MDs), time elapses, prescription expires, doctor assesses your case and decides you are good without the meds once prescribed.

Government hell-bent on "protecting the people" decides a person once treated has a mental history and although cured, their position is a patent "once mental, always mental". Patent meaning grossly obvious.

The authority to counter the government's position is the medico whose judgment is being challenged. Especially psychiatrists, are being painted as charlatans by government(s) and should be interested in mounting a class action.

But they have a catch-22 to deal with. The AMA is behind the anti-gun movement. A doctor countering AMA interests probably invites problems too big to deal with. Our need for his/her professional backing is not a mountain it would be wise to climb.
    The annoying part is that Pennsylvania has a very specific definition of involuntary committment (302). It should not be something that has to be researched.

I've bought two guns since June and didn't have any issues. I have three drug related misdemeanors on my adult record and a juvenile adjudication for possession of a firearm by a minor. The Nics/Pics check only took minutes both times. The PSP definitely knows about my record. Personally, I am guess your issue is just a technical error. I doubt seeing a shrink would trigger any flags.

(Chester County)

Update-- my FFL e-mailed me today and told me that he got the approval...phew. It only took 4 days for me.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead123 View Post
    Update-- my FFL e-mailed me today and told me that he got the approval...phew. It only took 4 days for me.
    Any explanation for the delay?
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    Any explanation for the delay?
    From what I understand it's only explained if they deny and then you challenge and have the challenge denied.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12