Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Bought a Heritage Rough Rider at Split Rock

Looking for info on the gun and the company. Heritage uses a Miami, Florida address (Owner's manual is dated 2014). I heard heritage was bought by Taurus. Nice little SAA .22 6-1/2" barrel for little money. According to literature that came with the gun I can get a .22 magnum cylinder for 30 bucks. I got a great deal on it, and another 30 bucks still comes in way under what they sell for when both cylinders are part of the package. Guess I'll find out Monday when I make the phone call if they are still doing business from Miami.

Yep. Taurus announced acquisition of Heritage on May 1st, 2012. Monday will tell the tale.
    Last edited by Bang; August 14th, 2016 at 02:05 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Bought a Heritage Rough Rider at Split Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Looking for info on the gun and the company. Heritage uses a Miami, Florida address (Owner's manual is dated 2014). I heard heritage was bought by Taurus. Nice little SAA .22 6-1/2" barrel for little money. According to literature that came with the gun I can get a .22 magnum cylinder for 30 bucks. I got a great deal on it, and another 30 bucks still comes in way under what they sell for when both cylinders are part of the package. Guess I'll find out Monday when I make the phone call if they are still doing business from Miami.

Yep. Taurus announced acquisition of Heritage on May 1st, 2012. Monday will tell the tale.

They may ask you to ship the firearm to them so they can fit the cylinder to the frame, just to make sure the cylinder lines up with the barrel.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

I have three of them. A small .22/.22 Mag, a target .22/.22 Mag and a .32 Mag. All three are fun to shoot and the .32 Mag get carried in the woods when we go for a walk.
    20 years USN - OSC

(Bucks County)

They may ask you to ship the firearm to them so they can fit the cylinder to the frame, just to make sure the cylinder lines up with the barrel.
    The cylinders are drop in. The gap is about .015", so they have plenty of wiggle room. Indexing is a matter of CAD programmed machining and quality control can be accomplished by setting a cylinder in a master fixture frame and checking all aspects or submitting the cylinder to tolerance detection via laser or whatever method they use.

(Allegheny County)

how do you'all find the accuracy and also how intrusive is the safety switch? They sure aren't pretty but you can't argue with the price

(Bucks County)

15 yards, 2 inch group of 36 rounds, center of group an inch and a half left of center, vertical placement just about where I was aiming with a tendency to be maybe a half-inch to an inch low. That may translate to correct vertical POI at 25 yards. Pretty darned accurate from a repeatability standpoint. Trigger breaks crisply at 3-1/2 pounds. I have a magnum cylinder on backorder...can't wait to see how it handles them.

As I wrote elsewhere, it shoots a little left in my right hand, and a little right in my left hand. That suggests gun perfect and me needing adjustment.

The safety is not an issue to me, other than it is easy to forget to click it off safe...again, it'll take getting used to the gun. Personally, I like the safety and the lever on the left recoil plate is fine. The safety totally blocks the hammer to the point it can be dry fired without damaging the cylinder chambers if the safety is on. I wouldn't use the safety for dry firing though. The safety is there, and I bought the gun knowing it is not a Colt clone.

I held target paper around the cylinder and frame and got slight traces of black with no tearing, so there is no spitting of lead. The rim of a .22 shell just about enters the forcing cone, so that big funnel adds to the smooth transition from cylinder chamber to bore.

The factory emphasizes carry with hammer over an empty chamber. Several gun writers have said with the safety, there is no need of an empty chamber. Safety lever is folded against the recoil shield in the safe position and hammer pressure adds to its remaining on safe. I would have no qualms about carry it loaded with six. But I am not a cowboy and I won't be holstering it so it's not a consideration.

I am enthusiastic about this reasonably priced revolver. I can't agree that it isn't pretty. I think it is great. Time will confirm or alter that enthusiasm.
    Last edited by Bang; August 18th, 2016 at 01:54 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Great write-up, thank you very much for the detail! I'll have to take a closer look at these. You just can't beat it for the price.

(Washington County)

I heard a rumor that these guns had some timing issues at some point? Any truth to that or just gun shop rumors started by Ruger single-six owners?
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Bucks County)

Timing issues... dunno. None here so far. Maybe before Taurus took over?

My wife has a .22lr/.22mag Rough Rider with the bird's head grip. She uses it for cheap practice because it matches her .38 spcl Lightning revolver that she uses for SASS in dimensions and weight. It's fairly accurate and it's been nothing but reliable. Looking for a second one so she has a matching pair.