Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Anyone have experience selling stuff at gun shows?

I just came back from a small gun show near my home and got the idea that maybe I should buy a table at the next one they have. It's $45 a table. I don't have any guns to sell but I have stock piles of everything else such as knives and hunting gear. I've acquired and inherited a lot of stuff I'll never use. Much of it is brand new. It seems like it might be a good way to sell or trade stuff and network. I have no experience with this kind of thing though. Anything I need to know?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Anyone have experience selling stuff at gun shows?

Sounds like fun and a good way to get rid of stuff you don't use. The only issue I see is you won't have the capability to take Credit or debit cards so that may hurt sales. Also figure out what you want for your stuff and make sure your prices are fair and competitive. If it's only $45 for a table for 2 or 3 days I don't see how you can lose money.

I am thinking I won't lose any money or at least break even. I have boxes of new knives, archery gear, hunting gear, and lots of stuff people might want. I've been wanting to have a yard sale but I live in the woods and haven't found a place I can have one where people travel. They told me they hold gun/knife shows once a month in my area. It seems like a good way to meet people in the business. It seemed like it was a lot of retired guys who just like guns and stuff like that. I got one guys business card who deals in black powder which is something that interests me.

(Lehigh County)

I used to sell at hamfests some time ago. You can do well if you have decent pricing. I always tried to include some 'bargains' to attract traffic and also to cover my entry cost. At a gun/sportsman show this can be ammo or something easy to sell.

You need to be willing to negotiate/bargain/barter. Some times other dealers may have something to trade since cash can be limited.

Have a good supply of $1s and $5s to start, you will likely never have exactly what you need, but over estimate, then when it is all done, don't forget to subtract the starting amount. (No wonder I did so well at some shows!)

At some shows/locations you need to have a sales tax license. The state does offer itinerant licenses but I have not done that for a while. I remember being at the York hamfest , the PA department of revenue went around and if you did not have one when they got there, you did when they left. Not likely at a small venue, but it has happened and some shows require it to register for a table.

If you are going to be outside, think shade and liquids/snacks. It is best to have at least two, so one can cover for breaks or shopping expeditions. My rule back then was I did not buy anything unless/until I sold something. That worked for me, most of the time anyway.

Try to display things so they are easy to see, do not crowd the table, Keep expensive/fragile/special items near you or in display cases or under cover. Unfortunately theft is much more common than in my hamfest days.

Have fun and enjoy! If you are lucky you will leave with cash in pocket and a lot less junk. And that is the goal. (Damn. now I need to get a table too.)
    Last edited by gghbi; August 13th, 2016 at 06:54 PM.

(Indiana County)

Get a card reader for your smartphone.

I used to do shows all the time, I suggest actually pricing your items instead of making people ask.
    I generally walk past tables that have unmarked items.

Be willing to get plenty of lowballs and attitude as well as "I can get that off the internet for $XXX less".

That all said, I never left a show without making a profit.
    I also never had anyone ask about a sales tax license and I did some big shows.
    Not saying it can't happen, but it's not something I'd sweat.

Did shows as a dealer back in the early 90's. First you will need to contact the show promoter. This can usually done on the web (check Eagle Arms website) , or at least you can find the promoters contact info. You will need to register , show ID and submit tax collection license if you intend to charge sales tax. You probably will have to pay a initial fee and join for a year. Tables can cost anywhere from $10 to $100 each. Some make you buy a table just for paperwork , but not if you are not selling guns. Some charge an 'outlet fee' for electricity. You usually have to be there and ready to set up on Friday prior to the show. You will have to be set up and gone by a certain time Friday nite and cleared out by Sunday nite.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Philadelphia County)

Another option would be to be like Nancy and sell the stuff on poofa.

(Bucks County)

Just some thoughts and questions. I know this doesn't apply to OP since no guns will be involved. A recent executive dictate to be enforced by BATFE can make a person selling more than a couple of guns per year a violator working outside of required FFL with stiff $ and jail penalties. The old tried and true ways of an honest collector selling a couple guns to acquire other guns more desired has been criminalized.

If unable to accommodate credit card sales, I would suggest posting a sign saying so (I have seen these). I saw a dealer at Oaks who discourages haggling with a sign reading: This is a gun show, not a flea market

Unless you have a very large amount of stuff and the potential to sell several hundred dollars worth, taking a $45 hit on the table rental may not be profitable. I generally factor in the value of my time for something like this and come to the conclusion I'd rather do something else instead of sit on my ass for 8 hours and walk away with a measly $100.

In the case of the odds and ends you're talking about, you either need to offer products currently in high demand or super low prices. Your goal should be to sell everything and not have to pack it all home. To do that you have to be willing to accept counter offers at less than full value. This is the downfall of most. Just like here at PAFOA there are a lot of folks that think they will get their full investment and that just doesn't happen. I've got a ton of holsters, accessories, milsurp, etc items passed on to me but each one is individually only worth a few bucks.

If you have the time and patience I'd sooner advertise here, Craigslist, and other forums.

(Beaver County)

I've sold tons of odds and ends at gun shows. The one in Washington Fair grounds for me is a great show. If your prices are right the stuff will sell. Don't be afraid to set up on Friday night and come as early as you can on opening morning. I've sold more stuff to other vendors than I have to the general public. Remember that some people make a living doing this stuff. Your only there to get rid of it. Drop the price a few bucks to another vendor and dump it in bulk.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.